+ Reply to Thread

Cowpoke
    Member #

Values for Marlin 27s and 1893???????

Can anyone (this means you Marlinman93) tell me what the value range should be on a Marlin 27s in .25-20? It looks to me to be well used but in good condition.

Also, interested in your assessments of a Marlin 1893 in .30-30 also in good condition but well used? How does the octagon barrel or half-octagon barrel affect the value?

Thanks much,
    lazer

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Well this has to be really general, as I can't say what they go for everywhere. A well used, but shootable 27s around these parts goes in the $200-$300 range in .25-20. For some reason the .32-20 gets a bit more, maybe $25-$50 more.
    The 1893 can really vary, based on such things as you've mentioned,; octagon-1/2 octagon. Round barrels are almost as scarce as 1/2 octagon, but most people don't appreciate them, so they don't get the premiums they deserve, unless they are lightweight round barrels.
    Full octagons are the most common, and half octagons get the best premiums. Generally a half octagon barreled gun will bring $100-$200 more over an identical condition full octagon barreled gun.
    Calibers can also produce large premiums, with .38-55, .32-40, and .25-36 getting the biggest demand, and in the same order. The .30-30 is a great caliber, but due to the vast number sold in that caliber, it is the least desireable. I don't let that stop me, but it is a consideration when assessing value.
    I see model 1893's all over the place, price wise. I have a .30-30 carbine I bought recently for $150, and a friend just bought a similar saddlering carbine for $250. Most decent 1893's will fetch $500-$1,000, but features/condition will really affect the prices. Private parties generally sell at better values than dealers. Dealers tend to look at the internet, and base their store prices on overinflated internet auctions.
    Getting long winded, so hope you'll forgive me.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Cowpoke
    Member #

MM93,

Long-winded? Not a bit? Very much appreciate it.

I have run across an 1893 octagon barrel in .30-30 with price on it of $795 in pretty good condition. I thought that was high, but wasn't sure whether it would fetch a higher price than either the round or half-n-half barrels. Your info (both the octagon and the .30-30 being the most common) seem to suggest otherwise and that this price may be considerably inlfated. My problem is I don't have a real good feel for grading and though it looks good to me, might actually be a 50 to 70 percent gun. The barrel is solidly blue, while the receiver is relatively bare. Wood is nicked (used) but decent. I noticed in one reference book that the blued receiver and the black powder versions actually have less value. Is that right? This one's barrel is stamped "smokeless steel," I believe.

As for the 27S it is priced at $379 and also may be on the high side. It is in about the same condition as the 1893. I like it, but thought the price steep.

I suspect these might have come from the same estate sale. Would like to make'em an offer, but afraid if I base in on my instinct (and your added insights) they might be insulted.

Thanks once again for your valuable input,
    lazer

Member #

Sounds like they both are a bit high. Without seeing the model 1893, it sounds not as overpriced as the 27s.
    Blackpowder marked guns are listed in the Bluebook of Gun Values, as being lesser values, but I have not seen this. On the contrary, most seem to be rare enough that they bring as much, or more than identical smokeless guns. In addition, the BP marked 1893's were only available in .38-55 and .32-40, so these being more desireable calibers, make the guns more desireable.
    Most of the BP marked guns I've seen were pretty bare, because they were cheaper when new, and people bought them to shoot. They end up like most .22 rimfires, well used. I searched for a number of years trying to find one in great shape for my collection. Finally found it at Denver, when the Marlin meeting was there, about 5-6 years ago? I had to give a premium price for it, and was happy to get one in great shape! Mine is a .38-55, with 28" round barrel. Best caliber in my opinion, and rarest barrel shape, with special order length.
    Hope this helps.

Cowpoke
    Member #

MM93,

Helps a lot. Thanks.

I decided to bite the bullet and negotiated both prices down, but still may have over paid at $700 for the 1893 and $330 on the 27s. They would not budge any further on the 27s, which actually was priced originally at $395 not $379. They said they are comparatively rare, more so than the 1893s, and they couldn't go any lower.

This store, which does a huge national, even international business, in old and unusual guns claims they have only seen a few come through over the years.

Anyway, I'm obviously glad to get them and I know that I'll enjoy them. They sure are great looking rifles.

Thanks for the insight and advise,
    lazer

Member #

Glad you got them Lazer! They're both great guns, and the store is correct in their assessment of comparative rarity. The model 1893 was made in much larger quantities.
    I think I know the store you're talking about. Is the owner a fella named Ron? If so he used to have a large number of lever actions, and single shot rifles for sale. I met him at the NRA Collectors Show in Puyallup, Wash. a few years back.

Cowpoke
    Member #

MM93,

Yes, you have the right guy, Ron Peterson. Good businessman and a nice guy. Not only does he have an incredible collection of levers, but just about everything else with a trigger that was ever produced. I have purchased numerous guns there and they have been very good at trying to give me the best price possible. He has an exceptionally knowledgeable staff, though I most frequently deal directly with Ron or his manager, Dirk.

Sometimes, because of limited resources, I push the envelope pretty hard, but they seem to appreciate where I am coming from and work really hard with me the best they can. Friday's negotiations were classic, undertaken in the midst of a monsoon downpour that was starting to flood the store. Fortunately, we'd struck our deal before the worst of the crisis hit. They used stacks of gunsmith towels to ward off the raging stream that came up over the curb, across the sidewalk and was pushing in the front door.

After doing business with Ron for a couple of years, I finally merited an invitation into the back of the shop last Spring, where he stores an amazing collection of firearms of every description. Just walking through it is an experience and I felt privileged. Of course, I always seem to leave with a lighter wallet!!! If you ever get to Albuquerque, you should ask him for the chance to have a look, or holler at me and I'll be glad to help.

He does business across the country and around the world, not only selling out of this collection, but also tracking down rare requests for very well- to-do clients ($100,000 plus deals!). He is a really good guy, very knowledgeable and very customer savy and seems to appreciate little guys like me that want a piece of history but can't really afford it. He not only has many rare guns, but also sells from estates, including Sen. Barry Goldwater and actor Robert Stack.

He just held his anniversary sale, celebrating more than a quarter century in the business. Was there when he did a really good radio interview during the celebration, including addressing Second Amendment and concealed carry questions, as well as the importance of serving the customer. Thank god for gunshops that still understand this simple idea.

This also is the place where I managed to get the 1894 in .25-20, which I also am very happy with, and the Ruger No. 1 Lyman Centennial. I salivated over the later for 18 months before we struck a deal, actually during his anniversary celebration when I think he was feeling generous.

They know gun values very well, so I generally have had confidence in the deals I have finally struck there. Other knowledgeable folks seem to agree that I am doing okay. But, as I have explained before, I am not a typical collector, am far from experienced and tend toward the usual and odd, rather than the perfect or pristine. I don't have a good sense for grading and don't always realize the distinction among different variations of the same model which can significantly affect value. I feel insecure much of the time.

So, I always wonder. And that's why I appreciate the insight you and others on this forum freely offer. I consider it quite valuable and hope I am not a proverbial pain in the rear.

Thanks again,
    lazer

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93
    Well this has to be really general, as I can't say what they go for everywhere. A well used, but shootable 27s around these parts goes in the $200-$300 range in .25-20. .
    MM
    I saw one of these at a gun show this weekend. It is the first one I have ever seen. An individual had it for sale for $300. He said it was from an estate. The metal finish was good enough to believe that maybe it had been re-blued but the stock had many minor dings. He said it was in .25 rimfire so I didn't give buying it much thought. Were these made in .25 rimfire or was the seller mistaken?
    Thanks in advance
    jim.e
    Get the federal government to live within the bounds of the Constitution.
    The Marlin Talker formerly known as Jim.e

Member #

Yes Jim, the 27 was made in .25 rimfire, better known as the .25 Stevens rimfire. They are generally avoided by most shooters, due to the lack of ammo. No collection of Marlin pumps would be complete, without one in .25 Stevens RF. However, they generally get much less money for that caliber.
    You're probably right about the refinish. Dead giveaway is the good bluing, with dinged stocks. Probably a good idea to steer clear of a .25 RF anyway, unless you just want a wall hanger.
    Lazer,
    I thought we were talking about Ron Peterson. I spent a long time talking with him at the NRA gun show, as he was very interesting, and knowledgeable, as you mentioned. I had a display of three custom built Marlins, one of which Ron wanted pretty badly, but I wanted to keep just as badly! Couldn't have sold it if I wanted to, as it was a judged display, and that's a no-no! Ended up with "Best Antique Arms Display", for the three rifles, from the NRA judges! First and only award I've ever won!
    Sure hope I can get down that way sometime, and see Ron's shop! I'll bet it's fantastic!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks for the info.
    I guess going into a gun show semi-broke has its' advantages!
    jim.e
    Get the federal government to live within the bounds of the Constitution.
    The Marlin Talker formerly known as Jim.e

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links