+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin engraving / special stocks

I have a brochure on Marlin engraving and checkering, it is undated, but has information on the model 1893 takedown, 1894, and 1892. Besides having some drawings of both the engraving and checkering it has two write ups that I found most interesting:

We have engraved many rifles with special designs, from photographs or pictures and in some cases from heads of animals. The cut on the opposite page is handsomely embossed, the figures, scrolls, and even the leaves and grass standing out in bold relief. The barrel is handsomely engraved. The forearm tip, butt plate and screw heads are all embossed with scrolls, while the above mentioned parts, as well as the hammer and lever, are inlaid with scroll lines of platinum and gold. The hammer and lever are also slightly engraved. This makes a most handsome scene, and the beauty of the engraving is never dimmed by the use owing to the fact of the fiures being in such bold relief. The reverse side is engraved in the same style; also the trigger plate, the top of the action and in short all the metal parts. Extra list for engraving of this style $75.00

The second part I found interesting states:

Special rifles made to order. There are many people who desire a rifle made with the same care, as regards length of stock, drop and other measurements, as they demand in the case of their shot-guns. We have always been prepared to make rifles with special length and drop of stock to order, but we have paid especial attention to this work of late in connection with our fancy engraved rifles with special stocks, etc. There is no reason why a person procuring a high grade rifle should not have the stock made to personal measurements as in the case of his shot-gun. We are confident that any one ordering a rifle made expressly to his measurements will be thoroughly satisfied with the same, and will find that the slight extra expense is more than justified by the extra comfort he can obtain in using the rifle. It will of course be an excellent feature that a person can obtain a rifle and shot-gun with exactly the same length and drop of stock. The extra list price for variations from the regular standards of lenth and drop of stock is $10.00.

Any of you have one of these one of kind engraved or special stock types.? If so how about so pictures. I have yet to find one of these.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin engraving / special stocks

I have a friend who owns an engraved 1893 with a 14.5" LOP instead of the standard that was about 13 3/8". His gun also is a very early gun made prior to the cataloged engraving and checkering patterns. Prior to the special high grade catalog, Marlin often just put a certain amount of coverage for a set price. No two were identical until the catalog set a standard for certain levels.
    The catalog you have is the "Special High Grade Marlin Repeaters" catalog. I have this same catalog in my collection. These catalogs date from the late 1800's to early 1900's, before the change to '93 or '94 designation in 1906.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links