+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "jm' stamp, what ?????

Tinhorn
    Member #

"jm' stamp, what ?????

I have owned several Marlin firearms thru the years. i think they are fine firearms, at least the REAL Marlins. I have only read horror stories about Rem-lins. anyway, I was looking on Gun Broker, and found several firearms that the owner is talking about a stamp on the gun of " JM ". what does this mean? and how would it influence a guns value, everything else being equal. and where would the stamp be found? i at some point, would like to buy an 1895CB model. I have an 1895G, which i bought because of the price tag. i was trying to decide which i wanted, a short barrel or long barrel, when i stumbled across the "G" gun, so i let that decide. it does everything i could ever ask it to do. but i have always liked long barreled guns. so until i own a "CB", i will never be happy. and for some reason, which i can not even come close to explaining, a 25-20 is something i have become interested in. other than small game or paper targets, i have no idea what for, but that little cartridge is just so cute. it would make an awesome gun for my daughter. infusing lever guns into my kids blood is a goal i have set. and while i already have my son hooked with my 30-30, my 9 year old daughter is still in the 22 stage. for some reason, she loves my Marlin 783 22 magnum. she has her own 22 bolt action (cz452), but after shooting the magnum, it seems to have lost most of its appeal to her. anyway, getting back to the reason for my post, i am just an average shooter, but ran across the JM stamp, and was curious. any information would be appreciated. thanks!
    BRING ENOUGH GUN! GO GREEN! recycle every member of congress! every term!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The JM stamp is found on the left (port) side of the barrel at the point where the barrel meets the receiver. The Rem-lins have a REM stamp on the right (starboard) side of the barrel, again, just above where the barrel meets the receiver. The JM marks a weapon built by the old , veteran Marlin team—the ones who built quality weapons before Remington bought the company and fired the ones who new what they were doing.

The Remlins were built by inexperienced personnel so the quality suffered. At present, therefore, a wise man will look for a JM-stamped Marlin, and be willing to pay a premium for its quality. If one does purchase a REM-stamped rifle, one will examine very, very carefully to be sure the stock's fit and finish are good, that the barrel is straight and has the sights properly aligned. I had the opportunity of comparing a new JM with a new REM Marlin last year. Both were on the rack at my local Gander Mountain. Even I, a rookie in the Marlin camp—and to shooting, really, could see the difference between the two pieces. The JM was clearly a superior product.

Given another two years, Remington may be able to make a quality weapon. We are beginning to see reports of good weapons, already. But the good ones are too rare to think that Remlins are equal to Marlins, at least not yet.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” – The Shootist (1976)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Actually, the Remlins have a REP stamp on the right side of the barrel, not REM. Also, on the really old Marlins, the JM stamp may be on the right or the left side of the barrel, and some of them also had an oval around the JM stamp.
    COYOTE222 and Eli Chaps like this.
    Troy

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem." ~ Ronald Reagan

Sgt, U.S. Marines
    VFW Life Member
    NRA Member
    100% Full Blooded Scotch-Irish-Indian-Hillbilly

My own little piece of Heaven

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That JM stamp could be on either the right or left side, it depends if the stamper was right handed or left handed and which way the gun was running... This was told to me from an employee from Marlin plant...
    Also, sometimes it can be a light hit and look a little deformed or not a complete JM

I also like the CZ452/453 rifles, i have the 452 22mag and would like to get a 452 22LR in the future.

Good luck
    BloodGroove4570
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    An early Remlin could also have a "JM" stamp on the barrel. The only way to know for sure if it's a Remlin is the serial # will begin with "MR"!
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Cowpoke
    Member #
    The jm on my 336 has the oval and is more on top tha on either side.
    hutch likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    The jm on my 336 has the oval and is more on top tha on either side.

See bloodgrove, that one of neo71665's was stamped by an ambidextrous North Haven employee, who had just been told he was laid off ,and the rifle was running down the line backwards! HA - hutch
    neo71665 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lever addict View Post
    An early Remlin could also have a "JM" stamp on the barrel. The only way to know for sure if it's a Remlin is the serial # will begin with "MR"!
    There are also a small amount of Remlins floating around that have a s/n that starts with 91, but no JM stamp....
    Troy

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem." ~ Ronald Reagan

Sgt, U.S. Marines
    VFW Life Member
    NRA Member
    100% Full Blooded Scotch-Irish-Indian-Hillbilly

My own little piece of Heaven

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    See bloodgrove, that one of neo71665's was stamped by an ambidextrous North Haven employee, who had just been told he was laid off ,and the rifle was running down the line backwards! HA - hutch

That means I can take it to a gun show and get 8x its worth cause its special right?

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    That means I can take it to a gun show and get 8x its worth cause its special right?
    Let's be politically correct here neo - we are all "special" and so are all Marlins - hutch
    neo71665 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links