+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Help needed: Marlin/Ballard Rifle

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me exactly what this rifle is, when it was made, it's value, and anything that should/shouldn't be done to protect it's value. I recieved the gun from my grandfather whogot the gun from his uncle. I don't know much more history of the gun beyond that. I was given two barrels for the gun. The barrel on the gun is a .22 short made my J. Stevens. A&T. Co. the other barrel which is seperate from the gun is a 32-40 made by Winchester. I'm not sure how this second barrel would go onto the gun as it is screw on. The only markings beside what is on the barrel, are right on the reciever it self. It says: Marlin Fire Arm's Co. New Haven Ct. U.S.A. (then below that) Ballard's Patent Nov. 5 1861. There is a number on the bottom of the gun that is 34703. Anyone who could provided me with information or direct me to the right people that would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0670.jpg

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    that's a beauty!! i'm sure some of our resident experts will be along shortly... looks like an old "ballard" target shooter... congrats!

welcome to the forum!!
    Always remember that God is forever, and His strong, everlasting arms will hold you safe, keeping you from danger...

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    That's very nice I like that a lot! It dates to 1890! Theres someone here that knows for sure, but if that receiver was originally for a .22 cal then that receiver will not hold up to the pressures of a 32-40. The 32-40 barrel is not original to the rifle nor is the .22. That will hurt the value, but still....very nice!
    Last edited by lever addict; 12-29-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Gramps must have been a schutzen guy and used that for offhand according to the stock style. Probably at 100 yards with the 22.

Ballards can be difficult to I D, a lot depends on the address on the barrel and some hidden action differences. Far as I knew all the Ballard barrels screwed on. And I am pretty certain they did come in 32 40. I used to think they had different size actions but recent research from my pards recent purchase, I believe only one size existed, then the difference was in the f p setup. And of course extractor. The numbers depended on caliber if I was comprehending. As well as some differences in the tang and stock attachment

Flaydermans antique catalog has several pages, I am out of town till Tuesday so can't look up the number. Looks like a number 3 1/2
    Very similar to the one my pard scored recently.

The Win barrel was a planned conversion is a good guess. If it was already fit seems it would have another c f block around.

If memory serves, that serial range used forged, not cast actions thus were fine for the very very popular 32 40 round, which most of the champions of that era used, and the Ballard was preferred by many even over the lo wall Winnie's, or the Stevens 44 or 44 1/2

You have a darn nice gun.Seems like Flayderman had them in the 2 k range in VG cond. but don't take that as the final word. Been about a month since studying his. Going by recall on most of this, and no doubt some of the guys know for dead nuts will supply exact info.

I just like b s ing about nice rifles.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Your great-great uncle must have been a serious and knowledgeable shooter. Beautiful rig! Stevens barrels were thought to be superior because of an association with the renowned barrel maker Harry Pope, who worked for them for a period of time. It may be that your gun has a Pope barrel. Marlinman93 is an acknowledged expert on Ballard rifles, and I'm sure he'll pitch in with a lot more information. You may also want to check with the people at the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA Home Page). They'd love to see it.

Deadeye
    Member #
    As Mike says, you should definitely post on the ASSRA site. I know little about Ballards although I did just get a copy of Dutcher's book on Ballards :-).

Chris.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    If the wood on the buttstock matches serial numbers with the frame then you have "part" of a Model #6. The barrels as made by other manufacturers are obviously aftermarket. The fore arm is of the perion around the 1920's. There are similar ones on Pope rifles. Look at the inside of the buttplate and you should find a serial number and hope it matches the frame number. This action as made was for any large center fire cartridge. Up to 45-100. Model #6 was usually found in 38-50, 32-40, 38-55, and sometimes in 40-63. Some one did a conversion to .22rf so look it over carefully. Check to see if the .22 rf barrel is offset at the chamber end so as to be able to remove it and use the Win. barrel. Of course the extracters will be different.

Hope this helps some... Don rustyrelx

Deadeye
    Member #
    Wow that is too bad it was messed with in the past. You should see for sure if the original barrel is not around somewhere. But at the time it was modified no one knew in the future that doing this kind of stuff was a huge mistake. Still a neat old rifle and I am sure it still has some good value. Probably 30% of the original configuration would have however.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome to MO from Michigan's beautiful UP.

Wether this rifle was customized many years ago, or not, it is a beautiful rifle, and a family heirloom that money can't buy. You are right to keep it, pass it on to your decedents, enjoy it while you have it.
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Since a buddy came into two marlin Ballards, in the last 3 months, (a number 3 which if I didnt have my head in the dark, I should have bought, and the next was a full blown factory engraved 6, false muzzle, the whole mary ann) and now this one, I have been studying them.

I wonder if this might be a transition 6? Reason I say this, is one, none of the pics I can find, shows that pin underneath the barrel, except one claimed to be "early ballard" in the Dehass book. As far as that none of the other pics shown, early or late, show that pin seen in this gun. And I am about 99% certain neither of my buddies guns have it. And Flayderman says that the early actions "not from the Marlin firearms" were plain, and not engraved. But then the ones made from 81 to 91 were all factory engraved as standard.

Nor does this lever have the extra hook shown on the 6 in Flayderman.
    Another oddity is the pivot screw, being a screw, rather than a pin. This might have had something to do with the conversion. On the other hand, Dehass also mentions the early guns had a reversible FP, which was phased out in the later guns.

Now the fact two non factory barrels are present, is also a mind bender. One is obviously of a Win high or low wall, and appears about a number 3 heavy taper. The threaded portion of the Marlin is quite a bit longer than Wins, as well as being slightly undersize, .950 on the Ballard, versus .935 on the Win. as well as the Ballard having an 18 pitch, the Win 16TPI. So the guy had to likely take near an inch off the Win barrel to get new material and enough size to rethread.

So here is the next 64 dollar question. Ya dont just change barrels on these like one changes socks, and Marlin barrels were already better than most guys could hold, so why pick a Win 32 40, assuming the original gun was already a 32 40? Except that Flayderman also hints, that the 32 40 number 6, did not come until around 1881 on. So its somewhat reasonable, that he switched calibers in total, from the more near obsolete calibers the early 6s came in?

And thats a pretty good looking chunk of timber on that gun. I was thinking it had possibly been re stocked, and it might still have been, but who ever stocked it, was darn sure enough a real deal stockmaker and the checkering and finish are vintage with the gun.

A lot of those schutzen guys were gunsmiths or close to it. That this one has factory take off barrels, might seem to hint they were on a budget, or again, like a lot of smiths, experimented all the time trying to find the best way to hit those center shots.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links