+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: wearing a rifle scabbard on your back?

Cowpoke
    Member #

Question wearing a rifle scabbard on your back?

How many of you when you are out in the woods wear a rifle scabbard on your back? Is it comfortable? Would it be better than a sling? I always thought about getting one but I'm not sure if it will suffice.

Thanks, James

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Got a tactical scabbarb for my tactical shotty, but never have carried it very far . . for any distance or for actual hunting - I reckon I'd stick w/ a sling.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I looked at them over and over and never spent the money. When I'm hunting the rifle is in my hands. I keep my sling in my pack so I can sling the rifle if I have to drag a deer. Found out that a plain ol' sling made for the M16/AR15 works fine 'cause I can adjust it out long enough to sling diagonally across my back and don't have to keep holding the sling on my shoulder. That works for me, 'cause I only use the sling to carry the rifle when I'm done hunting; if I'm hunting, it's in my hands.
    Last edited by 4T57T; 06-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,
    Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    slings/scabards are for carrying, NOT hunting imo. when you get to the true hunting area I will often remove the sling so it forces me to keep the gun in my hands where it belongs and won't hang up on brush. granted I hunt the thick stuff in the S/E. wide open/big sky country is another story.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have looked at the tactical scabbards quite a bit and just can't seem to buy one. They are really for securing a weapon to a vehicle like a Jeep, boat or ATV. I could sling one or strap it to a backpack but I would rather just cut out the middleman and jusy sling the rifle. The sling weighs quite a few oz. the straps almost nothing.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    you dont need a scabbord or sling for hunting. you should have the gun in your hands at all times. 4t57t has a great idea to carry one in your pack in case you need it.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Got a scabbard a few years ago. Sized it for my shoulder and it sits on the shelf unused.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When I started hunting at age 13, I cradled the receiver of my 336 in my hands, went out the door and up the mountain behind my house. I was not surrounded by many hunters, therefor not influenced by, other hunters. Nor was I overly influenced by magazine writers until my late teens. Then I put slings on my rifles, because that is how it is done, right? It took quite a while to come to the conclusion. WRONG!!! Now I carry my rifle in my hand. I use a sling going in when I have my cozy abode on my back. I do not put my rifle on an 80 pound pack. Taking the pack off my back and getting it settled on the ground would be hard to do without damaging rifle. Around these parts, we pretty much have two types of surface, just rocks and cactus. Having the rifle on the sling allows me to put the rifle in a safe place before I start wrastlin' with my backpack.
    With that said I do have a scabbard.bikescabbard001.jpg
    I used this bike to cover non-motorized roads in rapid order back in Montana. I used mountain bikes and this road bike. In this area, Arizona's sonoran desert, it doesn't work that well. Way to rocky. Too much cactus. Having to haul in water adds way to much weight for bicycles to be practical.
    Pat/Rick likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    When it's time to hunt I like to be carrying the rifle, but when hiking in, or climbing, or getting in and out of boats, etc., it's nice to have the balance and freedom of movement that comes with "hands free".
    I'm using the Eberlestock pack and scabbard system.
    The scabbard is a slot on one side of the pack, between the internal frame and the pack proper.
    The corresponding space on the other side holds a water bladder.
    While it's easier to unsling the pack to get at the rifle, you can reach back over your shoulder and get hold of it if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat/Rick, Brocky, XMAN and 1 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Airwinky, If my short stocky arms could reach over my back and pull the rifle from the scabbard, then your pack might work for a guy like me. The rifle would definitely need to come off before I attempted to remove the pack from my back and I never have assistance as I always hunt solo. Most of the time, when wearing a full pack, my arms can only reach the straps in front of me.

seeing as how this thread is in Levergun's forum, I'll mention that I have one of his leather sling combos coming within the next month. I do not know if my 444 will wear it in the desert when I am going in. My hunts are rough on equipment and that leather is too pretty to destroy. My rifle will wear some cheap padded nylon. If a nylon sling gets messed up, Oh'well.
    I can't wait to see the new leather on my 444. Such total eye candy.
    Last edited by mt_sourdough; 06-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links