+ Reply to Thread

Wrangler
    Member #

NC law regarding firearm personal transfers?

I was in a gun shop and a guy was there wanting to sell his pistols and the store owner told me no paperwork was required to be filed for individuals selliing to each other. I thought I heard or read that you should or have to. And even if not I guess you should get a reciept to prove where you got it and that it was indeed paid for? I am of course in North Carolina. Just want to remain above the law. Thanks for any help.
    Jim

Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: NC law regarding firearm personal transfers?

It is always a good idea to get a receipt if you are the buyer. Likewise, if you are the seller it sure doesn't hurt to get the vital statistics of the purchaser. As far as I know the only time that a seller/buyer need the assistance of an FFL is if it is an interstate transfer. If there are any FFL holders on here maybe they can enlighten us all.
    Nothing expresses Liberty more than, the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

The deeper you are involved with "the system", the shorter the hairs you're had by

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: NC law regarding firearm personal transfers?

NC law requires that a buyer of a handgun must have a pistol permit. This includes private sales. Hope this helps.
    "You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight", Bill Jordan

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by piguy View Post
    NC law requires that a buyer of a handgun must have a pistol permit. This includes private sales. Hope this helps.
    I dont think that you need a permit for private transactions in NC. If it is a law, then its one thats not enforced too much. Ive been buyin and selling for many years to civilians as well as LEO without permits. Ive been a cop for 11 years and have never heard of it being an issue.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I think you still have to have a purchase permit to buy a pistol in NC. Not certain, but I really think that may be the law. That being said, I have sold some pistols I no longer wanted to friends and all I did was type of a bill of sale that we both signed and had notarized. But I've been at gun shows and had random people walk up and ask to buy my guns but I was always told that the ATF walks around watching for that to see if people are using their purchase permits since they couldn't get those without a background check.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Evening flinthill99,

You might want to review the info at the following link and possibly revise your post above accordingly.

http://ncdoj.gov/Files/About-DOJ/Law...-gun-Laws.aspx

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....

Regards, TallGrass

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGrass View Post
    Evening flinthill99,

You might want to review the info at the following link and possibly revise your post above accordingly.

http://ncdoj.gov/Files/About-DOJ/Law...-gun-Laws.aspx

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....

Regards, TallGrass
    TallGrass,

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but after reading your attachment, it seems to fall in line with what I was aware to be the laws in NC concerning handgun purchasing. According to the way I read that document, it seems to say that the State of North Carolina always requires a valid purchase permit from the Sheriff of that county unless the person holds a valid CCW permit or is a law enforcement officer with a letter from their chain of command saying that they are authorized for such a purchase. I was even surprised by the section that says (or at least I the way I read it), that if someone in my family dies and through a will leaves me a handgun, I have to obtain a purchase permit and provide it to the executor of the will before I can have the handgun. But either way, it seems to say that even a simple purchase between two people, requires that the receiver present to the purchaser a valid purchase permit so that they know that an NCIS background check has been completed.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I read it the same way and verified my understanding with our local Sheriff in preparation for the sale of a couple of handguns.

Regards, TallGrass

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    Here in Utah we can sell privately to anyone but I also go the extra step of having the buyer sign this following statement and I get their current information from their CCW or drivers license:

I hope this is of use to someone.

PURCHASER’S CERTIFICATION IT’S LEGAL FOR HIM/HER TO OWN, PURCHASE OR POSSESS A FIREARM

I _______________________certify that I am over 21 years of age,
    (Name: Please Print Legibly)
    I am a resident of the State of Utah and am not prohibited by Federal or

State laws or court order from owning, purchasing or possessing a firearm.

More specifically I certify:
    a. I am the actual buyer; I’m not buying the firearm for someone else who cannot legally possess one.
    b. I have not been charged or convicted in any court of a felony or any crime that could be punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.
    c. I am not a fugitive from justice; I have no outstanding warrants.
    d. I am not an unlawful user of nor am I addicted to marijuana, any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or any other controlled substance.
    e. I have never had a court find that I am mentally unstable, a danger to myself or others or incompetent to manage my own affairs.
    f. I have never been committed to a mental institution.
    g. I have never been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions.
    h. I am not under court order restraining me from harassing, stalking, or threatening my child, an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner.
    i. I have never been convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence.
    j. I have never renounced my U.S. citizenship.
    k. I am not illegally in the U.S.
    l. I am not a non-immigrant status alien.

Dated:

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links