Marlin Firearms Forum banner

NC law regarding firearm personal transfers?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SteedGun 
#1 ·
I was in a gun shop and a guy was there wanting to sell his pistols and the store owner told me no paperwork was required to be filed for individuals selliing to each other. I thought I heard or read that you should or have to. And even if not I guess you should get a reciept to prove where you got it and that it was indeed paid for? I am of course in North Carolina. Just want to remain above the law. Thanks for any help.
Jim

#2 ·
It is always a good idea to get a receipt if you are the buyer. Likewise, if you are the seller it sure doesn't hurt to get the vital statistics of the purchaser. As far as I know the only time that a seller/buyer need the assistance of an FFL is if it is an interstate transfer. If there are any FFL holders on here maybe they can enlighten us all.

#5 ·
I think you still have to have a purchase permit to buy a pistol in NC. Not certain, but I really think that may be the law. That being said, I have sold some pistols I no longer wanted to friends and all I did was type of a bill of sale that we both signed and had notarized. But I've been at gun shows and had random people walk up and ask to buy my guns but I was always told that the ATF walks around watching for that to see if people are using their purchase permits since they couldn't get those without a background check.

#7 ·
Evening flinthill99,

You might want to review the info at the following link and possibly revise your post above accordingly.

http://ncdoj.gov/Files/About-DOJ/Law-Enforcement-Liaison/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....

Regards, TallGrass
TallGrass,

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but after reading your attachment, it seems to fall in line with what I was aware to be the laws in NC concerning handgun purchasing. According to the way I read that document, it seems to say that the State of North Carolina always requires a valid purchase permit from the Sheriff of that county unless the person holds a valid CCW permit or is a law enforcement officer with a letter from their chain of command saying that they are authorized for such a purchase. I was even surprised by the section that says (or at least I the way I read it), that if someone in my family dies and through a will leaves me a handgun, I have to obtain a purchase permit and provide it to the executor of the will before I can have the handgun. But either way, it seems to say that even a simple purchase between two people, requires that the receiver present to the purchaser a valid purchase permit so that they know that an NCIS background check has been completed.

#9 ·
Here in Utah we can sell privately to anyone but I also go the extra step of having the buyer sign this following statement and I get their current information from their CCW or drivers license:

I hope this is of use to someone.

PURCHASER’S CERTIFICATION IT’S LEGAL FOR HIM/HER TO OWN, PURCHASE OR POSSESS A FIREARM

I _______________________certify that I am over 21 years of age,
(Name: Please Print Legibly)
I am a resident of the State of Utah and am not prohibited by Federal or

State laws or court order from owning, purchasing or possessing a firearm.

More specifically I certify:
a. I am the actual buyer; I’m not buying the firearm for someone else who cannot legally possess one.
b. I have not been charged or convicted in any court of a felony or any crime that could be punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.
c. I am not a fugitive from justice; I have no outstanding warrants.
d. I am not an unlawful user of nor am I addicted to marijuana, any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or any other controlled substance.
e. I have never had a court find that I am mentally unstable, a danger to myself or others or incompetent to manage my own affairs.
f. I have never been committed to a mental institution.
g. I have never been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions.
h. I am not under court order restraining me from harassing, stalking, or threatening my child, an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner.
i. I have never been convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence.
j. I have never renounced my U.S. citizenship.
k. I am not illegally in the U.S.
l. I am not a non-immigrant status alien.

Dated:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.