+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By destroyer4570
  • 3 Post By gramparsonsrocks
  • 1 Post By Barenjager
  • 1 Post By vaslugger

Thread: Anyone heard of the work sharp knife sharpener...?

Wrangler
    Member #

Anyone heard of the work sharp knife sharpener...?

Hello All, I was browsing the net and came across a knife sharpener call work sharp, it is a electric knife sharpener sold at Cabela's that retails for about $99.... All the reviews were good and positive for this product, I am interested in buying one to try as they say it sharpens your knives razor sharp in half the time it would take to sharpen them using a stone, So was just wondering if anyone was owned or used on and what is your thoughts on them.... thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies...
    Rando likes this.
    "One shot One kill"
    Team 45-70 #27
    Team 30-30 #105
    Team 1894 #36

Tenderfoot
    Member #

knife sharpener

Coming from a journeyman butucher/meat manager, I have had a lot of experience with electric sharpeners. Cheap and expensive. They are all not worth it. You will never have a sharper knife than when you learn how to utilize a multi stone sharpener. Ideally three carseness levels or a dual stone will do. The main problem is knives don't really come with nice sharp blades. I cut through tissue and muscle all day and stones the way to go. Plus you have a skill to be proud of

Gunfighter
    Member #
    What stones do you recommend?
    -Robert

"Prejudice is a great time-saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get the facts."

Team 35 #345
    Team .45/70 #604

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    bigjeepman likes this.
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Wrangler
    Member #
    gramparsonsrocks, I agree with you on learning and practicing the tried and true tradition of sharpening with stones and having a skill one can be proud of, I have on many occasions seen my grandfather sharpen his hunting knife, a Buck 110 to razor sharpness. I Just wanted to see if anyone used the sharpener decribed above as it came highly recommended and looked like it could sharpen knives in half tge time as the stone method. However I think I will continue to use the stone method but will also look into the work sharp knive sharpener as it claims to cut down on knife sharpening time. Barenjager, that is the exact sharpening system I was talking about, from what I saw on the reviews on Cabela's site and from the thread on here where others have puchased and are satisfied with it, I think I will likely purchase one too and hope I am as satisfied with the product as many on here are.
    "One shot One kill"
    Team 45-70 #27
    Team 30-30 #105
    Team 1894 #36

Wrangler
    Member #
    4570-Bought a custom made knife at a Sportsman Show in Virginia this past week.While it had a sharp edge it was not what I wanted.So tonight in about 5 minutes time I had it shaving sharp and I mean shaving sharp!Hands down the Work Sharp Knife Sharpener is the best I ever put my hands on and believe me I have tried more than I care to admit to.You wont go wrong with this one and I truly believe the one from Cabelas with the bag and extra guide is the best by far to get.I will not try any more as I dont honestly know how that I could get it any sharper as the one I did tonight is freaky sharp to the touch and made a believer out of me even more. Mike
    Rando likes this.
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I can't comment from first hand experience on the sharpener you want to know about but I have heard great things about them.
    I use a set of "paper wheels". I can intentionally dull a knife with sand paper or otherwise abusive it and bring it back to shaving sharp in 60 seconds with my paper wheels. There is a profiling wheel and a buffing wheel. The profile sets the angle in two passes. The buffing wheel removes te wire edge and hones it to razor sharpness in two passes. I have tried many different techniques and stones but they just don't compare. There are many u-tube videos on them.

Wrangler
    Member #
    vaslugger, I have heard the same great reviews about the work sharp, I have made up my mind and am going to invest in the work sharp. I agree when I do make my purchase I will definately get the Cabela's exclusive item, it seems like you will get a lot in that kit. I have never heard of this product before but with all the outstanding great reviews and not a one bad review that I can think of, I feel that without a doubt I will get an exceptional knife sharpener that I can enjoy for years to come. Mikewood, I think that this sharpener is kind of similar to the method you describe, all I know that there is a video that shows them sharpening a knife to scary razor sharpness and that is just what I am looking for I have used some sharpeners that will work and get the job done but no where near razor sharp. I like the idea of getting a knife that can be described as freaky or scary sharp... Also that if a knife's edge is dulled with hard use a few passes will get it back to being new out of the box sharp or in some cases batter....
    "One shot One kill"
    Team 45-70 #27
    Team 30-30 #105
    Team 1894 #36

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Nothing like a good set of stones, although with some of todays "Super Steels" you do need a Good Diamomd benchstone...
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

FUAC

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links