+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question On Hen And Rooster Knives

Wrangler
    Member #

Question On Hen And Rooster Knives

What is every ones opinion on Hen and Rooster knives that you have owned.I used to sharpen knives for a knife shop and only had one to sharpen.Of all the knives I have sharpened it had the hardest metal I have ever sharpened and this was with the paper wheel system going about 2000 rmp.I got it razor sharp and it probably held the edge for a long time with that hardness as I have no idea what kind of Rockwell hardness it had but it was one of the older Hen and Rooster folders.I am going to buy in a few weeks a Stag Handled knife and have found many by Hen and Rooster in the Bowie style with stag handles for a great price compared to some custom knives I have been considering plus it has a stainless blade while many custom knives are not stainless.Smokey Mountain Knife Works had some very nice ones for about 79.00 to 89.00 that looked extremely nice with Stag handles.After doing some research I found out Frost cutlery bought them and have had them for the past five years or so.They are made in Spain now with German steel according to the website and the quality looked real nice for that price.Any feedback you can give me will be much appreciated. Mike
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Mike, I have a Hen and Rooster Tobacco Stockman in stainless that I've had for a long time, this is an excellent knife with stag handles in the sow belly design. My knife takes a very good edge and seems to hold it pretty well, it is also pretty easy to sharpen with standard stones. Good luck on your new knife and keep us posted on how you like it. Jesse

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The Solingen steel used in the pre '80 knives was indeed hard as was the TreeBrand Bokers . . good knives.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks a lot guys for the information.Unless I see something that interests me a lot more I will get the Bowie Stag knife in Hen and Rooster plus the price suits my budget a lot more.I used to have a Uncle Henry Stag knife years ago and wish I had never sold it.After looking at the new Uncle Henrys they just look to cheaply made now.I always liked Stag handles and want one for cutting up jerky or skinning deer.Thanks again! Mike

Deadeye
    Member #
    Hen & Rooster Knives

Here's a pretty good read on H&R's.

Charlie
    MontanaMan likes this.
    Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Charlie it was a pretty good read.Smoky Mountain definitely has the cheapest price but the two that I want are out of stock and Amazon and Knife Country USA are about 20.00 higher per knife so waiting for Smoky Mountain to get them back in stock.Looked at some custom knifes with Stag handle but the price is to high and they are not stainless and I learned my lesson years ago after eating vienna sausage out of the can with a old Schrade knife and did not wash it off and about two months later had to deal with all that rust.Any knives that are 440C is what many custom knife makers use and some retail knives and that is a real good steel.Thanks Alot! Mike

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have an old Hen and Rooster hunting knife (25 year old) it is a nice knife holds an edge well. Have never had a complaint about that knife.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I like em alot.
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Sidewinder
    Member #
    thats because the old solingen is a carbon steel... not stainless. just my opinion but stainless is for people who dont know what oil is.I much prefer it in working knives to most of the stainless steels with exception to maybe a few of the higher end options like S30V, etc.
    BloodGroove4570 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have had 3" clip point w/soligen steel for over 20 yrs. It is my favorite for " taking care " of deer and hogs.it will "do" 2 deer before the blade needs to be touched up. Product # 361 ds

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links