+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Buying a Randall 1-6

Wrangler
    Member #

Buying a Randall 1-6

So i have a randall 9 sportsmens bowie on order for 2016 all customized. But iv decided to buy a modal 1 with a six inch blade to use for my outdoor activties. Did you cringe when i said to use? Thats why im just buying a stock knife from one of the websites. I really want a modal 9-6 but cant find one anywhere online. If you were buying a modal 1 would you go for a six inch or a seven inch blade?
    I think back to the time in the service when i had a ka bar and it was just to darn big. But theres only an inch diffrence. Gotta shop around.
    PMSteve likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I would get the six inch knife. I am not used to using anything larger. I have a few Randall made knives and I really like the bird and trout, number 3 or number 23 game master. Whatever you are comfortable with. A great knife is worth the extra coin.

Ron

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Erik,
    I'm glad to hear you're going to use them!...........I have a randall Model 21 "Little game" and Model 14 Attack w/ the border patrol handle.and I use them when I want to............
    A well cared for, used Randall still commands a great price on re-sale, and I bought them for ME to enjoy!

I also had a GTR Special and a small Model 10 Salt Fisherman.......I sold them years ago. They just didn't thrill me.......
    The GTR was too thick in the blade, and the Salt had no finger guard, and I cut myself a few times, dressing game.

Hey!.......You're in Florida...... Why not take a ride to Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando, and see what they have for stock knives available at the shop?..........Thats what I did, when I used to go to Fla to visit my Dad.

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I bought a custom knife from a guy in Lolo Montana. It was too nice to use then I thought why not for what I gave for it I need to use it. It is a booger to sharpen but keeps sharp a ling time. A good knife should be used. Hope you enjoy it.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I would go with the 6". I've carried a 5-4 camp and trail for over 20 years and its like an old friend, I've got a good many randall's in the safe and I order a different one every year, my next comes in March of 2014 and I ordered it about 3 1/2 years ago its an 11-5 with stag and nickel silver hilt, its going to be a user also, with any luck it will skin a deer next fall..it doesn't matter to me if its a user or a safe queen I love holding a well made handcrafted knife.
    Tomray likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I think on their site it said they no longer stock them. Its seriously like 20mins from me. Im gonna call them tomorrow. Theres a gunshop that has a stock 9-6 which im thinking of to.
    I might just buy the 1-6 and order a 9-6 i plan to get a scalloped spacer with ivorite boarder patrol handle with the scalloped brass butt cap. Id like to get a nice piece of ivory for the handle but i would think it would cost as much as the knife.
    Last edited by erik7181; 10-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Tomray likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    If you order thru a Randall dealer you could have your new knife in six months. Only a few of the of the Randall dealers don't mark up the knives. I just picked up a Randall 1-7 from Capt. Chris Stanaback. He was great to do business with and I really like it. The 6" is probably more useful. I think my next Randall will be a #28.

Wrangler
    Member #
    They are unbelievable Knifes the six inch would be handier and work for anything you would use it for my #26 stag SS NS is my favorite knife right now and that is what I carry and USE yes USE that is what I bought it for and a pleasure to use it is. Widow
    Tomray likes this.
    1894 45 long colt cowboy limited 24" oct bbl
    336 38-55 cowboy limited 24" oct bbl
    1894 32-20 cowboy limited 20" oct bbl
    1894 TALO 45 Long Colt 16.25" bbl
    1894 44mag
    1894c 357 mag
    356SC, 375 SC
    336 ADL 30-30
    336LTD 35rem
    336 spike horn youth model 30-30
    444SS, 444P Outfitter
    336 Wild West custom in 30-30 16" ported bbl.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Yea, I cringe at the thought of scratching up a new Randall. I bought my #5 many years ago with the idea of carrying it while hunting and hiking. Haven't put it on my belt yet cause its just too purdy! Owning my Randall gives me pleasure even though I've never used it for cuttin' anything.
    rono likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I'm old and had most of the Randall's in the catalog. I posted pics on an earlier post. I gave my son model 1 6" and my grandson a 1-7. Both good for work, but the sharpen tip is not for gutting. The model 5 is better. I use a model 3 5" and my wife likes a model 5 5". I use a mdel 7 on fish and deer. So many models, it is a tough deciscion. Get a dozen and you still won't be done !

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links