+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED

I have read a lot about FTFeed issues in the 1894's especially in the 44 magnum and mine was no different. Some of the fixes include stoning and polishing extractors and taking the edge off of the chamber mouth. These fixes help with jacketed ammo and round nose lead and even flat points with small meplats. I did these fixes and got my 1894 to run fairly smooth, but not 100%. Then I started to play with lead bullets with huge meplats which will set you right back to step one. There is not much room to play with feeding WFNGC bullets. I have a sticky in gunsmithing section for the 1895's failure to feed because of new stiff extractors in which the cases rim would not seat in the extractor and would push the round in the chamber at too much of an angle causing jams. I always believed the same was true for the 1894, but it took me a while to figure out the fix. Stoning and opening up the extractor and taking the edge off the chamber mouth give the round more room to enter the chamber, but I don't believe that is the way to go about it and I have proved to myself today that this is not the way to go. The fix was so easy it blew my mind! Below is a pic of the extractor from the factory. The gap between the spring and extractor may be larger on yours as I have been tweeking this one already.

The spring is too stiff to allow the case rim to get under the extractor easily causing jams that a double clutch of the lever will finally send the round down the chamber. Below is a pic af the spring straightened out. Notice the gap still present between the spring and extractor. It gives just enough tension, but not too much!

Don't be afraid to pinch the spring with a plyers where it is conected to the extractor also as this will relieve some tension.

If your having problems give it a try. You can always bend it back, but I don't think you will! It has solved my problems I loaded up some dummy rounds with 250gr WFNGC and now they feed without a hitch and smooth as butter. Give it a try what do you have to lose.

Lever Addict

gunscrewguy likes this.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED

Cool, thanks.

Cheers,
    Mark.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.

Team ANZMO Member #00

Team 1894 Member # 214

Team Bikers Member#02

Team .375 Member #02

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

What a neat, simple solution. Thanks for the tip.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

This should probably be made a sticky!

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by planeflyer21
    This should probably be made a sticky!
    I quite agree. Consider it done.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Member #

Wow thanks PJ I just went looking for my post and couldn't find it! Thought I was loosing my mind! I must thank you and everyone else here who's input here on MO's gives people like me the information needed to do just about anything to their Marlins! When I first came here I didn't know how to take the lever out of my Marlin! Ive since learned to cut a dovetail by hand, extend a magazine tube, refinish stocks, fix feeding issues, reload,spend way too much money, and sit in front of the computer WAY TOO LOOOONG!

THANKS EVERYONE I LOVE THIS PLACE!
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Member #

Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Member #

Doggone it, I tried it and it didn't seem to help. Mine, as it came from the factory, already looked like the second pic. Still looking for a fix...

Mine feeds the 265RD style well, factory Gold Dots well, just won't feed the 310gr Lee or the 429244 reliably.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Keep at it, Kelbro. I can't quite explain it, but all my Marlins that had feed issues with a particular bullet type or shape got fed the same thing anyway, because it was all I had, in most cases. Pointing the barrel downward while chambering a round seemed to help, and before I knew it, I didn't have to do that anymore. I would say that Marlins can "learn" to feed bullets they didn't previously like, but that sounds silly. Nonetheless, all mine will feed about anything I put in them, even the bullet profiles that jammed them up every time in the past.

Are Marlins smart enough to learn? Maybe. But what I'm even happier to know is that they apparently can't read, because I've read dozens of articles in the past 40 years that all tell me that Marlins are good for 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards (or worse) and none of mine have EVER shot that poorly. Some will go under an inch at 100 yards with their favorite ammo.........but don't tell them that's not the norm! I'd hate to inflate their fragile egos.......I just tell them they're good guns, and leave it at that. But there have been a few instances when they outshot the bolt gun at the next table, and I could swear I heard them giggling on the way home. Musta been my imagination!
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kelbro
    Doggone it, I tried it and it didn't seem to help. Mine, as it came from the factory, already looked like the second pic. Still looking for a fix...

Mine feeds the 265RD style well, factory Gold Dots well, just won't feed the 310gr Lee or the 429244 reliably.
    Are you jacking the lever hard and fast...maybe slow it down a bit. Previously for jacketed rounds I had taken the edge off of the chamber mouth and polished the extractor. The one I have working smoothly now is a brand new one just the spring is bent no polishing. Check overall length? From the crimp groove to the top of the bullet could be longer on the 310's. If the rim of the brass is fully engaged in the extractor it should run fine. Is it catching on the top of the chamber? Try polishing the bump on the ejector your cases rim hits this while trying to engage the rim in the extractor. As far as Marlins learning to feed...yes they do! Whatever is causing the problem will eventually wear or break in through use. Keep at it. Keep me posted!
    Lou

Quote...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links