+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My new Henry .22 mag w/octagon barrel

Contributing Member
    Member #

My new Henry .22 mag w/octagon barrel

Well, I finally saved up enough pennies to buy a Henry H001TM Frontier Model, a .22 WMR with the octagon barrel. Overall I am happy with the quality of work, wood, fit, finish and balance. It has a good heft to it without being too heavy. The barrel is about 1" longer than my Mountie but feels good in the hands. I actually got the rifle on Tuesday afternoon but didn't have time to post pics. Now I have a couple of pics but don't have time to shoot it . I have to leave in the morning and will follow up with a range report as soon as I can. A warning to the lever purists out there, I do plan on mounting a scope and sling on it . I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2x7 laying around and I hope the parallex isn't too bad for it. I'll just have to try it and see. Now for the pics .henry2.jpghenry.jpg
    Golphin likes this.
    Middle aged, middle class, blue collar white guy. I hunt, fish, eat meat, wear the skins of animals for clothes and burn fossil fuels for fun and profit. Everything is my fault and I am OK with that.

Lonnie

Marlin League #36
    Team .22 Magnum #33

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #
    You'll not be sorry for buying a Henry ... that is a fine looking rifle.
    Lonnie likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    That is a good looking rifle. I've been considering one of those for myself. I was just wondering if the barrel bands are made of metal or plastic? I know some of the henry 22's had plastic bands but I'm not sure about the octagon barrel models. Either way, I hear they are great rifles. Hope to own one soon.
    Lonnie likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    bigjohn71, this rifle has the metal barrel band. I believe all the Henrys now come with metal barrel bands but you probably need to contact them to know for sure.

I have some more pics, especially of the wood, it has a nice figure to it. These photos were out of the box and I only wiped it down to get rid of my fingerprints from fondling the rifle . I loosely mounted the scope on it to see if it will clear the rear sight and it does. I have to wait for a hammer spur I ordered this morning to come in before finishing the job. Oh well, it's time I got out of the door and go to work .

henryclose1.jpghenryclose2.jpghenryclose3.jpghenryclose4.jpg
    Middle aged, middle class, blue collar white guy. I hunt, fish, eat meat, wear the skins of animals for clothes and burn fossil fuels for fun and profit. Everything is my fault and I am OK with that.

Lonnie

Marlin League #36
    Team .22 Magnum #33

Wrangler
    Member #
    Lonnie, I stopped by to meet another forum member (Wind) last Oct on the way to deer camp in Republic, WA. He had just pulled out his new Henry 22 mag oct bbl out of the box. It was the model w/the brass receiver. He was generous to let me shoot it. I was very impressed w/it's heft, balance, & the solid feel cycling the lever-especially for a smaller caliber. It shot very well. I'm saving my $ to buy a set of Okanogan Shooting Sticks that Wind hand-makes. Very impressive & really fits the style & appearance of a levergun shooter. Don't think I want to take any long shots w/o a set anymore!
    Lonnie likes this.
    Team 35 Rem # 279 336SC
    Team 45-70 # 431 1895G
    1895LTD IV
    Rolling Block
    Team 450 # 60 1895MR
    Winchester 94, 1866-1966 Centennial

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Now that is a fine exmple of "Made in America" can still mean quality and not break the bank! I would love a Marlin 39A but I believe I will soon be getting a couple of these in standard round barreled 22lr.
    Lonnie likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by upl8te View Post
    Now that is a fine exmple of "Made in America" can still mean quality and not break the bank! I would love a Marlin 39A but I believe I will soon be getting a couple of these in standard round barreled 22lr.
    Keep in mind that the round barrel models (H001 and H001Y) have the front sight integrated into the front barrel band. If you ever would want to change the front sight, spend the extra 80-100 and get an H001T (Frontier model) to get the one with the dovetailed front sight. The Golden Boy will also accept a front sight, however it doesn't have a receiver groove that will accept a scope or a Williams FP-GR (rear peep). To put a rear peep on a Golden Boy your only option would be a tang sight.

my .02,

-Tim

PS - In addition to Marlins, I own 3 Henrys and LOVE shooting them!
    4652983326_dc6491a96a_m.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Lee; 03-01-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added the picture
    Lonnie and bigjeepman like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Can't wait to hear how it shoots. I have been looking at one of those too.
    Lonnie likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
    Can't wait to hear how it shoots. I have been looking at one of those too.
    With a scope, mine all shoot 2" to 2-1/2" groups at 100m using Federal Automatch, 510s, or Fiocchi HVCRN high velocity. I have seen an occasional sub-2" group out of them as well. Shoots Eley Sport and Standard velocity about the same. About the only thing they don't seem to like is Remington bullets (none of my other 22s do either).

my .02,

-Tim

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Nice Henry you got there! My Henry .22 "Mag" is a Golden Boy and happens to shoot the (slower) Winchester "DynaPoints" the best. Since I didn't plan on scoping it in the first place, its preference for the slower round has worked out well for me for a "walk about varminter". Regardless of Henry model you chose, the "slick" action and accurate barrel make it a pleasure to shoot. I too love my Marlins; however, the Henry is just another example of the "action" type that compliments all the rest.
    Lonnie, bigjeepman and rbyham like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links