Marlin Firearms Forum banner

about the looks of henry rifles, is it just me?

14K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  Bronco Archer 
#1 ·
Many people like their Henry rifles. I picked up one of the Classic lever guns in .22 lr the other day and was thinking I might need another .22 long gun. But those Big Boys and Golden Boys with the brass receivers just don't appeal to me. For one thing, there is no loading gate on the receiver like the Marlins and Winchesters. Plus, it just looks bulky, not as sleek as the Winchester or Marlin designs. I think I'd rather shell out the big bucks for a Uberti 1873 Winchester. I know the Henrys are much cheaper, but they do not seem to be an authentic lever gun. They just don't look right. They might be good shooters, but they just don't have that aesthetic appeal, if you know what I mean. Do you know what I mean?

Reactions: City Slicker
#3 ·
I like them & if Marlington does not get there act together soon, I will be owning a few of them as well. On second thought, it really does not matter what Remlin does, I'm still going to buy a Henry Big Boy next year. I need to put that on my hit-list for 2012. Checked, its on there.

#4 ·
I have considered buying the big boy in 357 just for giggles. My only downside is the scope mounts on the bbl rather than the receiver which means a cantilevered mount. I'm sure it is secure but just looks funny. I guess the brass won't allow a proper torque on the screws. What about steel thread inserts? Have used them with success mounting to aluminum on packaging equipment. Will give it more thought for the coming year.

#5 ·
Oh sure they aren't quite as attractive as a Marlin or Winchester 1866 or 1873, but they still work alright and appear to have good workmanship and design. I'm sure they'd be a fine option for someone wanting a new carbine to take to the field with.

I probably won't ever get a centerfire from them (I already have Marlins) but may pick up a Golden Boy or Frontier model .22 from them some day. Those .22s are good looking rifles.

#6 ·
I shot a Big boy 44 mag. at my gun club and at 25 yards it put one shot inside the other where I aimed it. The weight of rifle big boy is 8.68 lb. But that's to be expected for a full size octagon barreled rifle. It's more expansive than a Marlin 1894 44 mag. but it's more rifle than the 1894 is. As far as mounting a scope on a cantilever. I see no problem with the looks in fact the scope is mounted directly to the barrel and that's in harmony with the business part of the rifle.

I too didn't like the brass receiver but it doesn't make the rifle ugly, it's just the aesthetics of a time during the civil war when brass was used instead of steel.

T:hello:NY

#7 ·
Far as I know and have been told, they are not actual brass, but some kind of alloy with a gold coating, that isnt all that bulletproof. Personally, no way in heck would I trade a newer Marlin 1894 for one. anyone thinks they are going to last as long as a good all steel gun, is a little naive

#8 ·
I believe they're solid brass . . .

#19 ·
They might be. All I was going by, was what a real serious REAL Henry/Win collector told a customer of his at a recent show. I have to wonder, cause once that lacquer or what ever they have on them to keep them shiny, real brass would turn green pretty quick. I guess if there are some out there with verdigris growing, that will be the proof.:biggrin:

#9 ·
I also would rather have a well made 1894 44 mag. or 357 mag. than a Henry if I can fine one but I can't and I'm not going to look across the ocean for one when a Henry is made in USA by American workers. The difference between the 1894 and the Henry big boy is the 1894 is a work horse and the Henry B.B. is a Sunday range rifle IMO. Life is short and I would rather buy a new rifle than somebody headache and the reason why I don't own a 1894 is because I waited to long or didn't have the need for until now. Like I said, I fired a Henry and it is one of the fines rifle I every shot.

T:top:NY

#10 ·
I don't care for the looks of the Henrys. Particularly the brass ones. I handled an octagonal barrel 22 a little while ago and liked it for fit and finish, feel... but am holding out for another Marlin.

M

Reactions: City Slicker
#11 ·
I held out for a Marlin 39A for nearly two years and finally gave up (for the moment). I bought a Frontier model Henry (22LR) 'cause I needed a lever action 22 and I love the gun! It shoots great and the octagon barrel adds to the "old timey" look. I love even more the customer service at Henry as they are what "service" should mean. Last spring, I bought my wife a Golden Boy (22LR) and she really likes it a lot as well. As far as the BigBoys are concerned, the lack of a loading gate seems kinda strange, but not having to cycle every round thru the action to download the gun has some advantages that may outweigh the missing loading gate. BTW, I'm still looking for a Marlin 336 in the worst way -- my one and only Marlin (at the moment) is an 1894c which is great at the ranges we shoot here in the TX hill country. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marlins -- just wish that action was as smooth as the Henry! Cheers! John

Reactions: miatakix
#12 ·
I do like Henry rifles myself but I don't care for the brass receivers.I also love shooting my 22mag rifles but don't have a lever in 22mag yet.It will probably be a Henry when I do.

#13 · (Edited)
I like them both! :)

Buy what you like aka what trips your trigger!

I like the blued/walnut and the brass/walnut. My husband likes them both plus his Marlin in stainless steel/walnut. Some RIFLES suit and FIT him better than other ones - same as for me.

I like the Henry Golden Boy, I have one NOW, and I like some of the other Henry 22lr lever action rifles too.

There are 2 Marlin Golden 39A rifles here and other Marlins - made in CT. Marlin 336C in 30-30, Marlin 336SS in 30-30 and a Classic Marlin in 45-70. They are fine shooters and they were bought NIB too. With the way that MARLIN is having problems with their lever action rifles, I decided to go with a Henry in 22lr. Not shoot the the other Marlins here that much and since my husband IS a Marlin Loving Man (Made in CT) - I wanted to kind of 'save' the 22lr rifles for him - not use them as MUCH but I can still shoot them. He does have other fine firearms including a couple of Remington rifles even though some people complain about them and want to LUMP them (Remington!) all in one group. Same as Ruger and Savage. Etc.!!!

The Big Boys have the solid brass receiver. My husband just got one and we shot it. He would like me to shoot it some more too. Fine shooting firearm just as the Henry Golden Boy is to me!

I like the Browning BL22 and the Winchester 94-22 - I had them too. Plus we had some other Wins. When they stopped making the Winchesters in the 94Trappers - we sold them. I hear people complain about them, Japanese made, but ALL of those were fine shooters and looked nice too. I would NOT hesitate to suggest a Browning BL22 to anyone and they have different receivers now too. Walnut/blue and walnut/silver color steel (?). I have seen both of them in person and on their website. My BL22 and 94-22 were walnut/blued.

I figure IF you don't like the LOOKS of something or HOW the gun loads or unloads plus for any other reason... do NOT buy it.

I read complaints about MARLIN before the 'sell out' and move and read them now. Personally, I NEVER had a problem with my Marlins, my late husband did not with his, and my husband, Montana Man, has had NO complaints about his past or present ones. He has been shooting Marlins since he was a KID - no kidding. The people that I know who have owned and shot HENRY guns in various calibers have been extremely pleased with them and IF they did have any issue with one of them... HENRY made it right - great customer service. You do NOT hear that too much about many other companies in this day and age especially with FIREARM COMPANIES.

So if you do not like what something looks like or how it works/operates... do not buy it. If you do NOT like how a company cares about it's customers anymore and the customer service or repair company is a royal JOKE... don't buy from them or boycott them.

I am used to tube feeding 22lr lever action rifles - I like them so shooting a centerfire one would not bother me. My husband is used to the other type of loading but he had NO problems shooting his new Big Boy in 357Magnum the other day. I like single shot rifles a LOT too! Lever action and single shot rifles are my favorite shooters.

Now, I do NOT like bolt action rifles at all... I have shot some and they are not my 'Thing'. I have shot some semi automatic rifles and they are not my thing. I DID LIKE THE MARLIN PAPOOSE that I bought for my late husband. We both shot it but he shot it more. When I narrowed down what I liked the most in rifle styles... my top favorites kept coming up to me... lever action and single shot.

If my husband, MM, shoots and owns a couple of bolt action and semi automatic rifles... more power to him. They do not interest me and the looks do not trip my trigger as a PRETTY falling block or single shot or lever action rifle does to ME. So to each their own even though he is more of a lever action rifle man and always has been. In fact, I told my husband that IF he died before I did, I would sell ALL of the bolt action and semi automatic rifles that he owned. I would sell some of his other firearms that are not my THING and/or I don't shoot due to my arthritic hands. I most likely would even sell some of the few, sweet, classic, quality and PRETTY handguns that I gifted to him too. Some would be gifted as 'we' have gifted in the past too. So he knows this Now and we update our firearm lists and values just as we update everything else in our lives.

My husband, MM, is helping a very close, older friend do this with his GUN LIST this coming weekend. He and another gun man (FFL man - our local dealer.) will go to the man's house and help him complete his gun list so that IF something happens it will be easier for his wife.

Take care and have a nice Friday.

A lady who likes her Henry Golden Boy and likes HENRY firearms. A lady who likes SOME of those Made in CT Marlins too!

#14 ·
I bought the basic .22 model Henry and I love it.5 shots in 3/4" at 60 yards and the smoothest action Ive ever seen. Theyre not all that accurate, I just got an extremly accurate one. I do every great once in awhile. Dont get me wrong, I love my marlins. But if remington doesnt get it together, I see nothing but old marlins in my future.

#15 ·
The 22 Henry rifle are pretty nice balanced package. The Henry centerfires are bit big and a triffle heavy for me. You never know til you pick one up and see if it fits and holds well. Big plus the Henry company takes care of the customer, American made too enough said.

#17 ·
I like the look of the henrys and Id think that the tube load design can be faster than a loading gate (no pinched fingers either). Also alot easier to unload as you wont have to cycle the action and put scratch marks in the shells and or bugger up the heads.

#22 ·
Years ago someone kept telling me how ugly Savage rifles were ... I bought one anyway and it turned into the finest shooter I have ever owned ... a 10FP .223. I understand what some of you are saying about the Henry rifles. Since I really just prefer the blue/walnut, I went with the H001 model .22 and it is absolutely the smoothest thing on this earth. It is a very accurate rifle that I intend on getting better aquainted with this year. I really like the looks of the octagon Frontier model too.

Seriously, like any other gun, if you don't like the looks just simply don't buy that model but please check out all of their models. I will buy more in the future ... hopefully. Made in the USA ... great customer service people.

#25 ·
I like them. I don't care if it has a loading gate or not -- I guess. The Marlin model 60 loads that way and it works just fine. The only thing that I noticed was that they weigh a ton, but other than that it seems to be a well made American gun.

#27 · (Edited)
I get the feeling that Henry isn't out to steel the thunder away from Marlin in any way. They have a look and feel that appeals to a small niche and are basically doing their own thing. Making their center fire guns with brass receivers isn't going to win many new Marlin customers over to them in mass, again, they are just appealing to a small niche. Maybe they would appeal to a Marlin owner who has upteen different Marlins and is thinking of having something a little different, but that is very likely going to be a small number. Believe it or not, not every business out there is fighting and clawing tooth and nail to be #1 in sales. Some are content to keep things small, maybe have a little fun, and try to keep their customers very satisfied, which the owner of Henry is very keen on doing by the way. This whole thing about grabbing as much market share as you can is fine and all, but it usually means quality will at some point start to suffer as growing pains create ever new problems. And besides, the gun market is already pretty saturated now and it could be a risky proposition to expand a small gun business like Henry in a bad economy. And the fact is that there still is a company that is making Marlins, (at least that is the rumor) so that market ought to be satisfied. So I think Henry, by doing its own thing is probably a good thing, take em or leave em. I love my Henry 22, but am not quite as enamored with their center fire lineup. So be it. They are a quality 100% USA made gun and so I wont knock anyone who is.

Reactions: Moondoggie
#28 ·
I don't mind the tube load on a .22 rimfire and love my 39A. I think the Henry .22s are nice looking rifles and probably shoot pretty well, too. But it doesn't appeal to me. I like the full size rifle feel of the Marlin and the microgroove barrel does a fine job at tack driving accuracy.

But on a centerfire, it detracts too much from the functionality of shoving cartridges in as they are depleted. Being able to reload ammo on the fly is a huge advantage for the lever rifle.

Pulling a spring loaded plunger out and dropping them in all at one time just doesn't work for me.

To say it differently, it just doesn't fit the old western gunfight scenario, so it seems somehow awkwardly out of place. To see a western movie with the Duke loading a lever gun without a loading gate would be disturbing to me. :stupid:

#29 ·
I totally agree with that last part. But I still think the answer lies in both way of loading. Loading gate for loading, and out the tube for unloading unused rounds. There is no reason one must be exclusive to the other. You hear that Henry? Marlin? Anybody?? :argh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.