Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hog hunting with 22lr

I met couple (3) guys few days ago at the local shooting range.
    They were all shooting scoped 22lr rifles at 30-40 yards and I noticed that they were shooting some really small groups.
    We started talking and it turns out that they were brothers and they had a large farm a little south of where I live.
    We were talking about hunting and they said that they hunt hogs on their property occasionally and they planned on hunting around Christmas this year.
    It turns out that they hunt small meat hogs (about 60 lb.) using their scoped 22lr rifles at close range (about 30 yards).
    The field they usually hunt on is just off of a major road so they just use their 22 rifles and shoot into the pigs ear as they feed on corns they lay out.
    They asked me to come next time and shoot one too.
    I'm going to go see how it's done.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Re: Hog hunting with 22lr

You can kill a hog with a pellet gun too. That doesn't make it ethical at all. Not knocking you but think about the ethics of it. I shoot neck shots and some folks think that is unethical so please dont take my comments personally at all.

This might be a good topic of discussion eh?

Dave

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Tinhorn
    Member #

Dave,

I want to tag along to see if these guys really do what they say they do and if it really works as well as they say it does.
    They claim they never lost a hog and only occasionally require finishing shot.

I too usually take neck shots on deer and hogs with my 30-30 at short range and I persionally think it is very effective place to shoot if you are close.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

Shot placement still trumps anything else, but if you can't thread the needle, the 22LR is about the worst choice you can make. Is it possible? Sure it is. But as Dave points out, it's only ethical if it works every time.

It's like the age-old question, what does it take to kill a deer? My response is the same as it's always been. You can use a 30-30, or a ball peen hammer, or a 2X4.........if you can hit them in the right place. Therein lies the problem. Game animals don't hold still much.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

bull3540

It may kill them but I hope you are prepared for how long the hogs are going to scream while they die. They may not run anywhere but you may wish that they did. Keep in mind also that a brain shot will not allow them to bleed out so that's the first thing you want to do once they are down and silent. Please keep us informed about your experience.

Sidewinder
    Member #

With a 'perfect head shot', and at the right angle so the bullet doesn't deflect off bone, anything can be killed with a .22 LR, but there is too much room for error to try on a regular basis.

There are even documented cases of large bear being killed with a .22 LR, but that wouldn't be my weapon of choice for hunting brown bear.

I grew up on a ranch and when it was time to butcher a steer the animal was put down with a single .22 LR round to the forehead.. One shot was all that was ever required even though some of the cattle were 1,200+ pounds.

But even so in the wild it is very hard to get a perfectly placed head shot on an animal, and if your shot is less than perfect the hog may suffer for days.

I do a lot of wild hog hunting in Oklahoma and Texas and usually carry my old Win M70 30-06 loaded with 180 GR Nosler Partitions. Probably is considered 'overkill' by many, especially when hunting smaller hogs, but you never know when you might encounter a large grumpy critter.

I'd hate to try and stop a charging 250+ pound hog with nothing more than a .22 LR....

Member #

"I'd hate to try and stop a charging 250+ pound hog with nothing more than a .22 LR...."

That is a very good point as well. When in hawg country I never leave the truck without the trusty .44Mag on my hip. I figure and we all know there are crazies walking our streets and there sure as heck are at least a dozen or so crazy old hawgs out there waiting for me to drop in unarmed. Had one stalk me once! I'd sure be feeling unarmed with a .22 for sure.

As sportsmen/sportswomen we owe our quarry all the respect in the world and should do all we can to honor what our Creator has given us.

Dave
    MO Member #77

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Ok I will add my two cents here. If I could use a larger caliber for hog hunting I certainly would. Here where I live, Arkansas, Hogs are not recognized as game animals by the G&F. You can shoot them year round and leave the carcass lay, if you choose. Here in lies the problem! You can only hunt with a gun which is legal for an open season. Squirrel season is open 10 months out of the year and it is legal to hunt squirrels with a rimfire only, no centerfire rifles. Therefore, alot of hogs are shot with 22 rifles and 22 magnums, not by choice but by neccessity. Keep in mind also alot of people dog hunt, so you are shooting a bayed hog at close range. Again, I agree 22LR not the best choice if others are legal to use, but it will work.
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I've been abit leery about posting on this topic...don't want anyone to think wrongly about me, I have shot a few hogs (smaller) with a .22, shot them in the guts. Why, so they would run off and die away from the feeders and roads, we would then hunt over the deceased piggys for coyotes to control population and help the deer herd. This was done on request from an old friend in south Texas.
    U.S. Marine Corps (Grunt) Retired
    Marlin League #28
    Team Old Farts #48
    Team 444 #245 RIP
    Team 375 #28
    Team 35 #64 RIP
    Team 39 #147
    Hyphen-ated Gang #6 (38-55, 32-40) RIP

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 1 big hole
    I've been abit leery about posting on this topic...don't want anyone to think wrongly about me, I have shot a few hogs (smaller) with a .22, shot them in the guts. Why, so they would run off and die away from the feeders and roads, we would then hunt over the deceased piggys for coyotes to control population and help the deer herd. This was done on request from an old friend in south Texas.
    Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Especially considering the conditions set. I couldn't do that but it sure doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. On the other hand, if I were a farmer/rancher and those hogs were doing much damage I would use just about any means I could to get rid ot the pests for sure. Then, under those circumstances I would want them shot on sight and would care less about saving the meat. There just aren't many absolutes I can think of which would apply as the feral hog is a HUGE nuisance.

Most folks will kill a spider running across the floor and never think a thing about it. A rattlesnake? Wolves? Coyotes? You get my drift...

Dave
    MO Member #77

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links