+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pigs in MI

Tinhorn
    Member #

Pigs in MI

all I hear about on MGO is how the damn hogs are invading and the DNR wont or cant do crap about it...

sorry but I'm not a farmer, I'd love another species of game to hunt, lemme at em!

BTW Ive been roaming the northwoods and east coast of MI for better than 20 years and Ive never seen one...

here piggy piggy piggy....

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Pigs in MI

According to the map there has been a population explosion in many parts of MI. Both up north and LP.
    I've been keeping up with the map for only a couple months and there have been large increases all over the country.

How this data is derived and specifics on actual tracking v. estimated population/territory modeling is not something I have confirmed. I believe that many DNR/Conservation agencies request that sightings be reported.

www.feralswine.org
    http://mdc.mo.gov/landown/wild/nuisance/hogs/
    http://www.texasboars.com/

While I lived in Missouri, I learned that MDC is one of the best State Conservation agencies for hunters. A statewide ballot passed back in the 80's mandated a percentage of every cent of sales tax go directly to the agency. They have some VERY nice public shooting ranges that are staffed and very good programs such as CONSEP Wing Shooting (I believe there are less than 10 classes in the country and Missouri has 3).

From what I understand, many states DNR/Conservation Agencies are indirectly funded often getting low or no priority in the overall budget process. But I am not an expert.

Any confirmation MI DNR will allow use of rifles for feral pig in the Deer 'shotgun zone'? (for those not familiar MI has a shotgun zone and a rifle zone for Deer season).

I'm tempted to purchase 308/338 MXLR for just such an occasion....with a little help from my friends and their 30-06 that is.

Tinhorn
    Member #

been watching the map closely...otsego seems to have quite a few dots....heeeeere bacon bacon bacon....

Im not sure about the rifle/shotgun thing. feral swine can be taken at any time on public or private land with a valid hunting license (a one year small game license is like $15)

Since there is no season, and you could concievably just be out for a walk in the woods with your gun, target shooting, working the garden etc, I'm curious what the stance is on taking them with a rifle. prob easiest to just call the DNR and ask (though taking legal advice from a CO/LEO is asking for trouble)

Wrangler
    Member #

I don't know about MI DNR anymore, but my current state's DNR is going on 67 days for a return phone call
    (requested info regarding night optics for feral pigs since it is not clear in the current yr hunting regs/guide)

Tinhorn
    Member #

OK just got off the phone with a very nice DNR supervisor in SE MI...man the gf is gonna be thrilled when she hears I called the states to explore the legalities of hog hunting rotf (im in london currently)

he admitted he is not a lawyer but his take on it was that since hunting fox, coyote etc below the rifle line with a centerfire rifle is totally legit, you should be fine taking hogs with a rifle

HOWEVER in MI, if memory serves, during firearm deer season simply being in the woods with a gun is considered hunting (i believe there may be a provision where you can prove you were not hunting, like having a benchrest and targets set up. Personally, I wouldnt chance it)

I would not advise shooting a feral pig during deer season below the line with a rifle. other than that, I think you're prob good.

NOTA BENE-- I AM NOT A LAWYER. THIS ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

As I understand it, Hillsdale and Lenawee county have the largest wild hog population.

And you can shoot them with a rifle anytime except Nov 15 - Dec 1st (firearm deer season)

Team 444 member #255
    Team .35 member #255
    Team 30-30
    NRA Life

Wrangler
    Member #

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! Now if I could only get home.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Pigs in Michigan?

I seem to remember Rosie O'donnell visiting Detroit a time or two.

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Barenjager
    Pigs in Michigan?

I seem to remember Rosie O'donnell visiting Detroit a time or two.

Roe
    Some really big hams on that pig.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Wrangler
    Member #

oink oink

Suuuuiieeeee, here piggy piggy

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links