+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: 1911 advice wanted

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thought I would throw a picture of my S&W on here for the OP to view..
    Bumpus and msharley like this.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

Auxilium meum a Domino
    "My Aid Comes From The Master"
    Team 444 #269
    Team 45/70 #948
    Team 30-30 #374
    Team 1894 #274
    "a Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

Wrangler
    Member #
    Another vote for Springfield Armory. Lifetime warranty, even on used pistols. Found this out when a local Gun Smith did a trigger job on my Loaded model and it failed after 75rds. They paid shipping both ways and I had my pistol back in 10 days.
    Bumpus likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I only own one--an older Para--P-14 and I love it. I'm in no way very knowledgeable about 1911's but I do have one thing I would like to add. After my son shot my Para he definitely wanted his own 1911. He tried a few and the one thing that stuck out in my mind, and really affected him, are single stacked guns vs. double stacked. Singles stacked are just to thin in the grip frame for either of us--bigger hands I guess. Just something to think about while you are looking for your first 1911. YMMV. Other opinions are welcomed as I am not very knowledgeable on 1911's.

Steve
    Bumpus likes this.
    " Knowledge Not Shared Is Energy Wasted"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ia1727 View Post
    I only own one--an older Para--P-14 and I love it. I'm in no way very knowledgeable about 1911's but I do have one thing I would like to add. After my son shot my Para he definitely wanted his own 1911. He tried a few and the one thing that stuck out in my mind, and really affected him, are single stacked guns vs. double stacked. Singles stacked are just to thin in the grip frame for either of us--bigger hands I guess. Just something to think about while you are looking for your first 1911. YMMV. Other opinions are welcomed as I am not very knowledgeable on 1911's.

Steve
    You raise a good point, Steve. Some folks do prefer the thicker grip of a double stack. That 'feel (ergonomic) factor', makes a big difference in how we relate to a pistol...how well we shoot it and how natural it seems in our hand.

I tend to lean the other way (single stack with thin grip panels) even though I have fairly large hands. It's just a personal choice aspect of choosing a 1911. My first opportunity to hold a 1911 was back in 1958, and the pistol belonged to Uncle Sam. The feel of that government model seemed to leave an impression of how a .45 is supposed to feel, and that notion remains today. Plus, I'm naturally a bit of a traditionalist.

Grip size and feel are important, Bumpus. Try a double stack for fit in your hand before you decide.
    Bumpus and ia1727 like this.
    IGNORANCE AND PASSIVITY ARE THE GREATEST THREATS TO A FREE SOCIETY. SwampDude April 2012

"We are a country of equal opportunity, not equal outcomes." Paul Ryan 8/12/12

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Ok, so I stopped at Cabela's on the way home today & fondled a Springfield Loaded. (still wiping drool off chin)

Is the difference in price between it and a Range Officer worth it ... esp. for a novice handgun shooter

BTW, I realize Cabela's ain't exactly the best place to look for a deal ($$$) - but they do carry a great selection.
    - Mike

Team 30-30 ... #532

Sidewinder
    Member #
    1911s are a pistol you kind of grow into. If you buy too low, you'll want to add more to it or sell or trade your way into a slightly nicer one or one that fits a niche better. I bought a box stock RIA when I got the 1911 bug again to replace the ones I had sold. But that led to me building a Fusion kit for Service pistol competitions, and then I bought a Springfield GI that I ended up customizing over time into a partial MEU/SOC clone.

My recommendation would be to figure out how you intend to use it MOST, and get the model that fits that role best, as your first 1911.
    msharley, Bumpus and Gaterskiner like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I agree with SSGN_DOC - get the best one you can . . I love my KIMBER GOLDMATCH II .45ACP and it has all the bells and whistles I want and need so it is a keeper - however, I bought my Kimber Stainless II in 9mm because it was the only 9mm Kimber they had at the time and while it is a great shooting gun I have been wanting a better trigger and adjustable target sights so now I am either going to sell it and get another GOLDMATCH II in 9mm or I can send it back to Kimber and have the target sight mounts cut into the slide and new target sights installed and also have them rework the trigger. The cost difference favors having Kimber rework the current gun I have but I have an itching for that Gold Match . . .

Smiley drinkin coffee.gif Biding my time while I ponder what I want to do . . . . .
    msharley and Bumpus like this.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it away."
    "Now that Obama won again we shall see if this statement becomes reality" GB45

Marlin League #30
    Team 1894 #5
    Team .30-30 #261
    Team .35 #329
    Team 39 #174
    Team .45-70 # 303
    Team Old Pharts #51
    Team 336SSLTD

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Hold the phone !

I stopped tonite to look at the Sig 1911

What a fantastic piece of firearm

I will definitely be getting me one of these, in the 2-tone I think.

And made in NH for good measure.

Bumpus likes this.
    Bob

Team 45-70 #635
    Team 44-40 Capt.

Team 1894 #219
    Team 39 #220
    Team 38-55 #33
    Team 30-30 #704

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 45BearGun View Post
    Hold the phone !

I stopped tonite to look at the Sig 1911

What a fantastic piece of firearm

I will definitely be getting me one of these, in the 2-tone I think.

And made in NH for good measure.

One of my friends just bought a Sig 1911 Scorpion. It's quite a piece, with it's VZ Grips, and that tan Cerakote finish. Fitted tight as a drum, but theslide moves like it's on buttered rails. Nice trigger too.
    Bumpus likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Ok, so I stopped at Cabela's on the way home today & fondled a Springfield Loaded. (still wiping drool off chin)

Is the difference in price between it and a Range Officer worth it ... esp. for a novice handgun shooter

BTW, I realize Cabela's ain't exactly the best place to look for a deal ($$$) - but they do carry a great selection.
    I cannot speak directly about the Loaded but I did own a Trophy Match and sold it and kept the Range Officer. The RO is quite the package for the price. I have more expensive 1911s (Dan Wesson Guardian 45, Springfield TRP LR) and a Pro on order but I won't ever sell the Range Officer.

Top to bottom: Range Officer, TRP LR, Trophy Match (before I sold it)
    msharley, Bumpus and capt greg like this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links