+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Is a S&W hammer weldable?

I have been thinking about modifying a smith and wesson k-frame revolver bobbed hammer into a commander style hammer. Either by cutting the spur off of an existing 1911 hammer or machining my own. Then having someone TIG weld the spur onto the existing hammer and I could do the finish shaping.

Do you guys think this is possible or am I just crazy? Dont know it the steel is cast/forged. I think it would be a nice custom touch though. I have never seen a commander hammer on a DA revolver, although Bowen custom recently did one a SA.

Thanks

The bowen version is partway down on this page, but its not quite right. It sticks out too far. Looks more like a regular hammer with a loop on the end of it.
    + Bowen Classic Arms + Workshop
    Last edited by totallycustom; 12-14-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't see why not. If the hammer in question dates before 1997 it is forged. If produced after 1997 it is MIM (metal injection molded). As much as the purist in me dislikes MIM parts, they can be treated just like any other steel part, that is, they can be blued, heat-treated, soldered or welded.

To be honest, in this day of costly labor and little hand fitting during production, MIM parts have a lot going for them as each part is identical to the last and a decent trigger is possible with little fitting. Although there are some reports of breakage of MIM parts, I believe these occurances are greatly overblown.

Not sure I agree with your tastes in revolver asthethics...but give it a try. Who knows, you may start a trend.

Roe
    Last edited by Barenjager; 12-15-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Member #
    I've known a lot of welders who say you can't weld this or can't weld that.

I've known two world class welders who I've seen weld any metal material and said anything could be welded.

I say do it!

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks guys. I am certainly more into single actions and classic MP smiths. This one though is 64-7 stainless heavy barrel police trade in that I bought for a carry gun. It is DAO right now although the hammer has the single action notch and has a nice single action trigger when you thumb the hammer back after a partial trigger pull.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Is it stainless? I'm thinking TIG and some nickel . I haven't really done a whole lot of TIG over the years, mostly steel, cast iron, and aluminum.
    Nothing expresses Liberty more than, the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

The deeper you are involved with "the system", the shorter the hairs you're had by

Member #
    Find a good welder--he'll TIG it with Carbon--I've been doing pipe for years-------------------way to many years.

Steve

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The gun is stainless but the hammer, trigger and I think other internals are all steel. They were originally case colored I think. I will do them blue.

Member #
    If your 64 is a "-7", it will have the MIM hammer and trigger. The "-7" was the engineering change that introduced the often-despised internal lock system and would date to 2002 or 2003.

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    I dont see any reason that it could not be done, other than to make sure the added piece will not interfere with the frame when at "attention". And of course I doubt do the resale value much good, even if done properly.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well I am going to see if I can get this done after Christmas. I will let you guys know if/when I get it done. Need to get a checkering file now so I can do the serations.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links