+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Modern Howdah Gun

Alright, inspired by the attacking leopard thread in The Asylum, this got me to thinking.

This one is a nice example of a classic Howdah Gun: http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/antiq...ah/howdah.html

While that purdy Purdey is a muzzle loader, I have seen articles on cartridge Howdah guns. Some look very similar to a 40mm grenade case! Makes one understand where Harry Callahan got his wrist-supported shooting style...from the OLD big-bore handgun shooters.

So my question at hand. What off-the-shelf handgun would make a good Howdah gun these days?

I'll go ahead and nominate the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, in .454 Casull. As with anything, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Modern Howdah Gun

Cabelas has the Pedersoli...
    http://www.cabelas.com/pistols-david...pistol-1.shtml
    ...but it seems to me to be little more than a novelty.

I guess if the criteria is big and bad and in your face (or a tiger's face ), I'd have to go with the S&W 500...or a similarily chambered BFR. Notice how I give a nod to the SA enthusiasts among us, rather than just touting a S&W product like I'm sure many of you expected.

Since I have no plans on a trip to India...I get enough of that accent from all the solicitation calls I receive at work ...and I'm not about to strap a howdah on top of my Silverado...I'll stick with my .44 Mags.

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

This 629 works for me....

Only 1 barrel- but 6 cylinders.

And then I have that nice piece of Damascus for skinnin' em....

M

I am still clinging to guns and religion.

Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, AMVETs
    Life Member, Military Police Regimental Association

1893, 1894 CS, 1894 CB, 444SS, 39A Golden, 81 DL, 80 DL, Glenfield 30 "SC", 39M Octagon, and a 922M....

Wrangler
    Member #

I'll nominate my Freedom Arms 6" single action revolver, chambered in .500 Wyoming Express. It pushed a Cast Performance 440gr LBT bullet to 1250fps. Actually, it can easily achieve more velocity, but 1250 is about the limit for me. I figure 4 shots for the leopard, then 1 for me if he's still eating on me.

I watched the Indian leopard video on the news. They said he was shot with a tranquilizer gun, but died of stab wounds. In the video it looked like some of the Indians were shooting at him with real guns, possible Enfield rifles from the WWI era -- but not sure.

Member #

Hank, I was initially going to give a nod towards Freedom Arms but was unsure how short a barrel they sold. I didn't think about the .500WE however! That 440gr is over an ounce of lead cooking along at HV 12ga slug speeds out of an 18" barrel!

That S&W .500 would be great too, as would a .460 S&W chambered gun!

It has been decades since first reading about Howdah guns. The article was in (I believe) an annual Guns Buyer's Guide and had energy figures for a double-barrelled cartridge-firing pistol, and also a large caliber revolver. Didn't search too long today but was unable to find more than a couple of different types.

If you watched that second video I posted in the Asylum, it was short. The longer one on Youtube goes into more detail, but the men on the elephants are up on the berm of a rice paddy. And that tiger LAUNCHES from the bottom of the paddy to the top of the elephant's head.

They'd probably have to pry that elephant's spine out of my crack from the pucker factor.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

I'm just pleased and proud that no one suggested The Judge.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    I'm just pleased and proud that no one suggested The Judge.
    We really do need a power-puking smiley for things like that Judge.

What's worse is the gun that seems to be the source of its inspiration. Even worse, Smith joined the fray.

A customer at the gunshop yesterday had a Judge there...on its third return trip. Within two firing of loaded/unloaded cylinders, the action would jam.

Meaning in your Howdah, you would have to try and jam the gun down the tiger's throat to choke it. (Thread save!)

Jon
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

OK...if no one else is going to say it, I guess I will...

I'm fine, thank you. Howdah hell are you?

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Member #

Nice, Roe!

Or BLAM!! "Howdah that feel?!"

Jon
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Member #

This whole clip is cool! It could also be titled "African Action Shooting".

The Howdah talk appears at about the 5 minute mark. http://www.downrange.tv/blog/drtv-we...-howdah/11787/

Jon
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links