+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms

Tinhorn
    Member #

Charter Arms

Anyone own one of the newer Charter Arms revolvers? Likes? Dislikes
    Democracy- Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Liberty- A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Charter Arms

Don't have one, but have been considering the Bulldog for a while. Most of the information I've found on them point to a decent value.

Member #

The new ones I've handled are well built but rough, er, less refined than other makers.

IF I were to buy one, it would be in a caliber that wasn't available from Ruger, like their .44 Special or a .22 Magnum Pathfinder.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Tinhorn
    Member #

The following is a reply I got back from Charter Arms. Seems they are willing to stand behind their products.

"Charter Arms has a lifetime warranty on their guns. We take care of all costs. With this warranty in place we must stand behind our guns to the fullest. If the quality was not excellent that type of warranty would put us out of business! We have less than of a percent of guns that are returned!! The ones that are returned are fixed and out of our factory in 5 days!! You can feel confident in buying a Charter Arms revolver! We are 100% American made. If you have any questions feel free to contact us again!"

Lissa McCarthy

National Sales Manager

Democracy- Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Liberty- A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Member #

I have an '80's vintage Bulldog and it's great for it's intended role. I will buy another new-production Bulldog in the future (since they are affordable). If they were priced higher, say like Rugers, then I'd probably pass on them.
    Team 444 member #256
    2nd Bn/10th Marines '88-'92

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

I already have a 44 Special revolver I love (Rossi 720) but if I was looking for one, the newer versions look pretty good. Haven't shot one in a few years, but aside from some mechanical issues with the older ones, they worked fine. Ya gotta love a 44 Special!

If this was heaven, Smith & Wesson would bring back the 696. My gun pusher has one, and I told him that when he dies, I'm stealing it while his son is at the funeral.

"There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Member #

I have no knowledge of the new ones. I owned a couple back in the 70s. My advice is to buy something else. The ones I owned had a life span of about 200 wadcutters, then they became a POS. My revolver money has gone to Ruger and Smith since. Since I am a little slow to learn, it took me two to catch on.
    "You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight", Bill Jordan

Sidewinder
    Member #

I purchased a 2.5" bulldog pug in 44 special back in December. I bought it primarily for a CCW. Initially all my shots were grouping to the left with any ammo I tried. I called Charter and told them what it was doing and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send it to them for adjustment. I got my gun returned within a week and they sent a test target with all the ammo info and range report. They ended up tightening the barrel a minute amount and that cured the problem, not 100 % but it is acceptable to me for what I want it to do. It is a little on the rough side and the trigger pull is a bit stiff, but after shooting it, it has smoothed out some and I expect it to smooth out more. If I can locate a 2.5 or 3" S&W 44 Special, and if I have the money to do so I will prolly sell the charter and buy the Smith or trade it in. It is a sturdy gun and does what I want it to do, but it aint the purdiest gun in the world. Dan

Charter Arms does back their guns 100%, the adjustment didn't cost me a thing, just my time in taking it to the UPS Store.

Team 1894 #37
    Team 39 #19

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thetoad64
    The following is a reply I got back from Charter Arms. Seems they are willing to stand behind their products.

"Charter Arms has a lifetime warranty on their guns. We take care of all costs. With this warranty in place we must stand behind our guns to the fullest. If the quality was not excellent that type of warranty would put us out of business! We have less than ½ of a percent of guns that are returned!! The ones that are returned are fixed and out of our factory in 5 days!! You can feel confident in buying a Charter Arms revolver! We are 100% American made. If you have any questions feel free to contact us again!"

Lissa McCarthy

National Sales Manager

so does that mean marlin/remington is going out of business soon cause just about every rifle they make needs to be sent back.

Cowpoke
    Member #

Seems everyone has their own opinion so I have mine. I think they are junk compared to S&W and Ruger.

Hows that for a revised comment PapaJ?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links