+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

Ruger Mark II or Mark III?

Ok, I ask this over on the rimfire section but then got to thinking that I might get a better answer here.

I have been thinking of getting a Stainless Ruger to carry while I am out fishing. Does anyone know which one would make a better snake and bunny carry gun? I shot the Mark II a couple years ago and liked it. I have seen but not shot the Mark III but like it’s looks. So, which one do you think I should get?
    arry - LAUS DEO

Work is for those people who don't know how to hunt or fish.

‘‘In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.’’ — Aristotle

Wrangler
    Member #

I'd go MKIII unless there is too good a deal to p[ass up on the MkII. I like thee fact that the MK III has the Mag release in its proper spot...next to your thumb. he MKIIIs seem to be quite accurate and feature many of the same qualities of the MKII, It's just the updated version.
    Dave
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Chasing the Doe, and not seeing the Bucks!
    Finally found the intersection of Bullet Pl. and Buck Ave. !

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Let me be candid, I'm full of sour grapes when you talk Ruger 22 handguns. So, I'll give you my two cents; save it for a year, then decide.

Ruger dropped their only double action 22 revolver in spite of the fact that they currently catalog 23 different fotms of single action revolvers and pistols, about an even split between them. For anyone familar with their SP101 it is pretty hard to figure. (I never thought I'd have a .357 caliber CF 22 handgun. Now I do and the little 38 Special is one nice little gun.

Maybe a boycott of the other 22 handguns they sell would help them see the light. Either that or they have such idiots in management that they'd see that as reason to fold the 22 handgun lines altogether. I realize we have a small local market but the little 22 LR Sp101 has been a winner here.
    45-70, 350 NorthFork 45-70, 350 Speer 30 WCF, 170 Core-Lokt

Contributing Member
    Member #

Bought a Mk III a couple of months ago and it shoots great. Extremely accurate and very reliable. I like the updates Ruger has made. Didn't even know they'd changed to a Mk III until I got to the gunshop to buy a Mk II target pistol. They'd long since sold out of the older Mk II's and I took home the new one. Great piece of gear for target practice. I haven't hunted with it.

If rattlers are a potential problem on fishing trips I prefer a .38 snubbie with a couple of snake-shot rounds in the cylinder, then the rest good hollowpoints like Federal's 129 grain +P hydra-shock. Compact, accurate enough, and enough power if things get more serious. The .38 snake shot has worked out real well for me a time or two.

Regards, Guy

Sidewinder
    Member #

I suppose this is as good a place to ask this question as any......

What is the difference between the MKII and MKIII magazines?

Are they interchangeable?

thanks

hog
    Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

39A.....880SQ.....15YN..... 336CB..... 1895GS

Wrangler
    Member #

Hogship I believe they are interchangeable just don't tell the marketing guys. I just earned through work a Ruger Hunter 67/8 MkIII Hunter model( my choice). I have not shot it yet although I have shot one like it man are they nice. I have two mags. on order and one is a MkII Mag. I'll try it out shortly and try to report back. Can hardly wait to shoot his new gun and the Par LTC Alloy I got too.
    Dave
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Chasing the Doe, and not seeing the Bucks!
    Finally found the intersection of Bullet Pl. and Buck Ave. !

Deadeye
    Member #

I've shot the MK Is in service (target pistol), MK II at home (I've got my dad's 10"), but never shot the MK III. I do note that as the product develops it gets more complicated and not all the complications are worth the effort. I hunt with the MK II without problems.

I guess where Golsovia is the revolver is preferred. I see the SP101 .22s quite often, so often I didn't know that they were discontinued. I bet Ruger dropped them because they didn't sell.

For me, here in VA, all my .22 handguns were semi-auto pistols until I got my Single-Six.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Sidewinder
    Member #

I bought a Ruger Mark II a few years ago. I bought it about the same time Ruger was coming out with the Mark III. Overall I really like my Mark II it’s a great pistol. It’s been very accurate and reliable. As for the Mark II vs. the Mark III debate I would buy a Mark II for the follow reasons.

Mark II:
    The European style magazine release seems to bother a lot of people. It doesn’t bother me on this type of a gun. If this was a defensive gun thou I would prefer the American style (like a 1911) magazine release. But since I use it for plinking and small game hunting it works great.

Mark III:
    Same gun as the Mark II but with a different magazine release. The gun is slightly more complicated due to the chambered round indicator and the magazine safety disconnect (gun will not shoot without a magazine inserted). These additional safety features tend to build up crud (chambered round indicator) and make the gun harder to take apart (magazine safety disconnect).

Hope that helps you reach a decision. Which ever one you decide on will be a great gun. It’s hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

Wrangler
    Member #

I think drice spelled it out very well. I went in before Christmas to pick up another Ruger. I went in to buy the Mark III. BECAUSE OF THE SCOPE BASE ALREADY D&t'd. I walked out with the Mark II. I don't need all the extras. Just more stuff to go wrong. If I decide to mount a scope I also have a S&W 22 and it comes with a mount on it. Very handy.
    Either way Ruger makes a fine gun. I also like my Single Six.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member
    When I retire I'm going to live off my savings, what I am going to do the next day I don't know.
    God Bless our Troops

Sidewinder
    Member #

Bear Paw Jack,

My Mark II came drilled and tapped from that factory. It also came with a Ruger weaver style base. I haven’t used the base but if I ever get an urge to put a scope on my pistol I’m good to go. The Single Six is also nice. I owned one for a few years but traded it in to buy the Mark II. I sometimes kick my self for trading that little revolver. Maybe one of these days I’ll pick up a used stainless Single Six.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links