+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Purchasing Unfluted Cylinders for Ruger BH

Hi guys,

So I figured this would be the best place to ask this. I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC yet I am really liking the unfluted cylinder. Well Ruger doesn't offer the Blackhawk with unfluted cylinders, and the only ones I can find are the Super Blackhawks which don't come in 45LC. So my question is there any were I can pick up an unfluted cylinder that would work in a Blackhawk 45LC that I could pick up after market? I tried to doing some Google research and searching gunbroker but neither had anything worth while.

Then the other question I have is regarding the finish on Blackhawks. At shops I've seen them with finishes like this (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151700576) while I've also seen them with finishes more like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151580923 . Now I know Ruger says they come with brushed finish yet I see them with at least 2 finishes, what's the deal regarding this?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Purchasing Unfluted Cylinders for Ruger BH

I know of no source for "aftermarket" cylinders for the Blackhawks. Of course a number of the gunsmiths that specialize in conversions of Ruger single actions, like Hamilton Bowen, could make a custom nonfluted cylinder, but I think the cost would be rather prohibitive for a merely cosmetic change.

As to the stainless finishes...Ruger has used a few different looks on their ss firearms. The stainless Blackhawks do have a brushed finish, as does the Single Six, GP100, and others. Many of the New Vaqueros come with a polished finish to resemble nickle, as did the fixed sighted Old Armys before they were discontinued. Then there's the odd grey finish used on some of the Super Redhawks and stainless rifles. I don't believe any 45 Colt Blackhawks have worn any finish besides brushed, but there's always the possibility a small run in one of the other styles was done for a particular distributor.

The finish used on this Ruger (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151700576) is Mag-na-port's "Velvet Hone", a proprietary and attractive bead blast finish they use on their custom revolver packages. This was never available from Ruger on a production gun.

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks for the info Roe. I had a feeling that might be the case since I couldn't find anything here or through other searches that it might be limited to expensive custom jobs. Oh well, I guess I'll have to weigh my options and see what comes about.

Ah, I see, I figured mag-na-ports did something to the gun. That is an extremely beautiful finish they put on the gun.

Member #

The Bisleys had unfluted cylinders, didn't they? I think I even owned a blued .45 Colt bisley at one time if my memory serves me...
    Define 'integrity'

Member #

Good point Charlie...I didn't even think of the Bisleys. A big oversight on my part.

If Dill likes the Bisley grip frame it would be the obvious choice. If not, I would bet it would be difficult to order a Bisley cylinder to install in a standard Blackhawk frame. I don't think Ruger will sell cylinders direct to the customer and I do not believe they offer this swap through the factory service center. But...

...Why couldn't you buy a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt and replace the grip frame with a standard Blackhawk style. Numrich has stainless steel Blackhawk grip frames for $125 (part #218010B). Add a set of standard Ruger factory grips (part # 218150A, $40) and you have a unfluted New Model Blackhawk.

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Sidewinder
    Member #

I wanted the same thing. Gary Reeder used to sell the take off's from his conversions. I bought 2 in 44 Mag from him. Ruger uses the same size cylinder for both. I fit it to my frame, rechambered it to 45 Colt with the correct size throats. It is accurate and fits well. I would recommend calling Reeder Guns and asking.

Don

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Al Story of Borchardt Rifle Co. in Silver City, NMwill make them for you.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I dropped an email to Gary Reeder and asked for a quote on the job. He said it would be in the 300-350 range to have it done and shipped. So that may be a bit out of range for now. (Who knows in the future though)

The Bisley idea is a pretty good one! I'd have to find a Bisley in store though to check it out. I know the local shops tend to carry a lot of Vaqueros and Blackhawks (in 357) but not many in Bisley grip. (actually none now that I think of it)

I'll drop Al Story a line and see how his work is and pricing.

Thanks again!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Ruger also made a stainless convertible .45 Bisley with a 5.5" barrel. These aren't very common but I picked this one up a couple of months ago for under $600 new in the box. As for finishes, most of the natural SS models I've seen are brushed stainless like the Bisley & SB but my SBH came polished in high gloss as shown.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I bought a used Ruger 44 Mag Super Blackhawk cylinder on Gunbroker and had it converted (rechambered) to .45 Colt. John Gallagher did the work for me and he is much more reasonably priced then the other big name gunsmiths...he charged me $75 to rechamber the cylinder. here is his website: http://gallagherfirearms.com/default.asp?page=1

Luckily for me the cylinder gap in my Blackhawk frame was OK and he did not have to remove the barrel. The problem with this conversion is the 44 mag cylinders are usually shorter OAL then the 45 Colt cylinders. So in order to fit this to your frame and not have too much cylinder gap, the barrel needs to be removed, the shoulder trimmed on a lathe, so the barrel is set back further to have a good gap. I no longer have the gun, sold it, so no Pics. RSlim

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links