Marlin Firearms Forum banner

JP Sauer and Sohn

19K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  phantom538 
#1 ·
Anbody have some info on a JP Sauer and Sohn .45 colt. Its made in West Germany and is sold under the name Hawes out of Los Angeles. The name of the pistol is the Western Marshal and its essentially a Colt single action copy. My guess is that it was made in the mid 60's to late 70's.
Thanks
Brian

#3 ·
260Brian,
I can't tell you much, except that an older shooting buddy had one before he went hunting for the last time. His was in 44 mag, and the old boy was pretty good with it.
His comments about it were, that it was no Ruger, but it would shoot the loads he could hang on to.
Even in my S&W 29, I don't load at maximim. I shoot mid-range loads at about 1000-1100 fps. My nerves and my gun both thank me. That also allows me to do more shooting, as I'm not frazzled.
Bestboss

#4 ·
Bestboss,
What I have found poking around the internet is that they were imported back in the late 60's. Quality was decent being from Sauer, but there is no collector value for them. Its still a pretty cool looking 45. I believe my old boss had a pair of these in .44 mag. He used to take one as a back up pig hunting.
Brian

#5 ·
hawes

I had a hawes western marshall years ago it was in 357 I believe the pistol shot ok but one day I stopped in a place and had it with me the guy at the place did a few gun trades and sutch and when I showed it to him he told me they were not very good and he reached into a junk box and pulled out one that had the topstrap blown out of it. It scared me and I traded him my gun for a remington 550 on the spot and was glad to get anything for it. This could have been caused by a number of things and that pistol may still be in use today but not by me.

#7 ·
I have a used JP Sauer & Sohn .357 Magnum, "L.A. Western Six-Shooter" stamped on the side. I've never fired it although have a couple of boxes of ammo.

I wish I could find some more grips for it. The original "bone" ones were cracked; a friend of mine in Germany found some walnut ones in the former East Germany, but they are just not quite right.

Any help out there?

Tom

#8 ·
grizzfan said:
I have a used JP Sauer & Sohn .357 Magnum, "L.A. Western Six-Shooter" stamped on the side. I've never fired it although have a couple of boxes of ammo.

I wish I could find some more grips for it. The original "bone" ones were cracked; a friend of mine in Germany found some walnut ones in the former East Germany, but they are just not quite right.

Any help out there?

Tom
See www.gun-parts.com/singleactions

Hope it helps.

#9 ·
Brian, what you have there is a well-made German reproduction of a Colt Model P. It's not a Ruger, and was never designed to be anything more than the Colt Peacemaker, at a time when Colt was too stupid to keep them in production. They weren't terribly pricey, but those I've seen and handled have been well-made, well-finished shooters. J. P. Sauer & Sons was a well-respected gunmaker, known for quality. Given what Colt is charging these days for a Peacemaker ($1500 or better, last I heard) you have a bargain shooter that will serve you well as long as you respect its limitations. Have fun with it.

PJ

#11 ·
Do you still have your Western Marshall , I have own one of these for about 10 years its a fine cowboy shooting peace, I no longer use it and put it in the local gun shop for sale it and holster for 425.00. But all in all there fine shooters never had any trouble w/ mine shot great had a good trigger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.