Marlin Firearms Forum banner

School me 10mm lovers

5K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 ·
I have a possible trade in the works. I am looking at a Glock 29 Gen 3 in 10mm. The 10mm cartridge interests me alot. I like the power, especially since it would be nice for the woods. What I do worry about is it being too powerful for concealed carry. It is a great size for a ccw gun, but I worry about it being "too much gun"

Also, what do you guys think of the Glock 29?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I held the Glock 29 Gen 4 the other day at the LGS. They did not have the
full size Glock 20. I felt the gun was a bit short in the grip.
I prefer a G19 length grip.
I would shoot one before I bought one, two fingers on the grip
with a full house load. I think I'd go for a full sized grip.
If you can handle the small one and control it you should be ok.
I wouldn't hunt with it. The barrel is too short IMO.

Reactions: Dirty_Harry
#3 ·
I have a G20 and use it sometimes when out riding in wilderness areas. The FBI started using this caliber for awhile but eventually was concerned about over penetration and stepped down to the 40 cal. The 10 is great if you are into hunting deer sized game with a handgun, not my cup of tea though. I read recently an article that stated the 10mm has about as much energy at 200 yds as a 9 mm does at the muzzle.

#35 ·
Actually, they were more concerned about female FBI agents not being able to handle the recoil than they were about over-penetration.

Thus the advent of the 40 S&W.

I own a G20 and it is the one Glock worth owning IMHO, (I'm partial to SIGs). I actually carry it sometimes in the winter when I wear a coat or jacket.

10mm is the finest semi-auto cartridge ever developed IMHO.

I held a G29 at the gunshop yesterday by coincidence, and it was too small for my big hands and I figured it would be tough controlling 10mm recoil out of the platform.

#6 ·
I too, am a 10mm fan, I have a Glock 20 and a Colt Delta Elite,
great cartridge, but I don't think it is a prudent choice for conceal carry
great hunting round
recoil hinders controlability in a fire fight
high possibility of over penetration / injury to innocent bystanders

just my opinion

Reactions: Tomray
#7 · (Edited)
Glock 29 is my preffered gun, by a big margin. Outfitted with the Glock adjustable sights, G 20 mags with Glock mag extensions makes the grip length issue go away. Use a 180gr Speer Gold Dot HP and FMJs hand loaded fairly hot, runs about alot faster than a 40 in a similar barrel lenght. Had, and sold a 20, never carried it hunting, hiking or CCW, preferring the short light efficiency of the 29 to the 20. The weapon is far more accurate than most folks would believe. I still have alot of pistols, but this has become my go to, my biggest concern is the black bears with cubs I often encounter while hiking. There I mix the load FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP....

In the early days of the Bren 10 and the Delta Elite, the original loads were 200gr and very hot, giving the cartridge a reputation for heavy recoil. And it was hard on the Deltas. Hand loaded within reason, or as factory rounds now are, its an effective controllable defensive round, and the Glock 29 very adaptable to general carry.

The 10mm has a cult following, spread across the internet. You'll find alot of people going to Wolf barrels etc, and really loading the pistol to the old specs. Which is pretty much a 41Mag load. Been there, done that, in the early days of 10mm, hard on the pistol. Not a good idea to buy a used 10mm off the internet for that reason.

Some of the older FBI guys still carry the old Smith 10mm by choice. If it ever came down to a court case, that is use full information. I think it a good choice for ccw.

#8 ·
I have a first gen 20 with FBI porting and Arotek laser installed. It is large and,frankly, brutal to shoot which is why the FBI dropped it. I once had a 45 Wildey Magnum that was more comfortable to shoot. It would be a terrific backup in the backcountry it is not easily concealable.

DD

#9 ·
I like the Glock...I like the 10mm...but I don't like them together. A CCW handgun should be capable of fast follow up shots. The 10mm is a handful in a light compact handgun. For handgun hunting the Colt Delta Elite or S&W 1006's with 5" barrels are a better choice. Awhile back I came to the conclusion a Glock Model 22 40S&W is a better carry gun and a .41mag revolver was a better hunting tool. So my 10mm pistols all found new homes.

Don't let my opinion stop you from buying one, just points to ponder.

#11 ·
I would prefer the 20. It's just a good deal and I pretty much have to satisfy my curiosity. I like the idea of the grip extension while at the range or hiking. Bears are a slight concern where I hike/camp and I would heel better with the 10mm over my mp45. I hear ppu makes a tame hollow point, I doubt that would over penetrate?

#12 ·
I have a 29 with a pearce grip extension. It is very accurate and the frame absorbs the recoil. I have shot some very hot loads through it and found it to be less punishing then a steel framed .40. I've been switching over to iwb holsters for carry and don't feel comfortable with the glocks lack of external safety for iwb. If you don't reload, it gets expensive to practice with.

#16 ·
Have any links to the extensions?

#13 ·
I'm not a Glop fan, but I do like the 10mm, so I sniffed around until I came across this EAA Witness in a LGS. The price was right, I was already a Witness fan, and the gun clearly shoots better than I do. I'd shoot it a lot more if it didn't put my expensive brass into orbit. EAA had some problems with their later guns cracking the slides, the earlier guns with rounded ejection ports are fine. Handloads have topped 1500 fps without pressure issues, and this gun holds 15 rounds, which makes it a good candidate for CCW if you're out where things bite back. It is NOT a lightweight gun, but that makes it eminently more shootable in my rapid fire, per my experience. It's seen here above my early-era Witness 40.

Regarding ammo, there is a Hornady decent FXT load for it, and I hear good things about the Double Tap loads, but there is also a PPU load that I'd avoid unless all you want is range ammo. 180 grains bullets averaged WELL under 900 fps, lower in fact than most 40 S&W loads, and expansion is non-existent, meaning you're carrying little more than underpowdered ball ammo.

#14 ·
For me the 10mm is a disease. First a Springfield Linkless then an early, unfired Delta Elite then a later one add a Double Eagle and a G20 could not pass on a 5" S&W 610.
The Delta Elites started to pile up and now I am down to one Delta Elite but added a MechTech carbine conversion keeping all the others.
I keep one of my presses set up for 10mm to feed the handguns
Like said before, Don't go nuclear on reloads and most factory ammo is very close to the 40, it may leave you wanting more

What I think I need next is a Ruger GP100 converted to 10mm

#15 ·
...then an early, unfired Delta Elite...
I've always had a curiosity of the 10mm, to me it seems like the semiautomatic version of the .41MAG... and, being a .41MAG fan, what's not to like? But I've always had a question...

What is the real 10mm load? Is it the frame-punishing 200grn 'FBI' load (the original Norma load? ) the modern day 180grn load, or the milquetoast .40S&W-level load? As a young fella, I read about the Delta Elites and the Bren 10, but the reports about hardware failures always left me queasy about pursuing one. I think the Delta would be ideal, being a 1911 guy myself, but I just can't seem to get past the early failures. What did they do... reengineer the pistol or did the less-than-full power ammo not beat the pistols so much? The Glop makes sense, but I don't like Glops (personal opinion, I think they are fine pistols... ) and I'm not a big DA auto pistol guy (EAA.) Do the Glocks and EAAs, et al, stand up to the original load... or is it just too much cartridge for that size of pistol?

Going completely off the reservation, I've always thought the 10mm in a carbine like the Camp Carbine or a suitably reworked M1 Carbine would be Utopia...

#17 ·
I borrowed the following regarding the early Delta Elites

Some of the very first Delta Elites had a tendency to suffer flex-induced slide rail stress cracks. This was quickly addressed by removing the section of the rail above the slide-stop cutout.

a pic of a couple of my 10's

#18 ·
Here are a couple pictures

Attachments

Reactions: jbaker30
#19 ·
Did'ya get it?...?....... I want a G20SF one of these days, but would also like to try the 29 to see how it feels with Full Snort loads!!!
I never liked the Glocks at first, but wanted a lighter CCW gun besides my Kimber Compact... I also wanted a reliable gun that was worthy/reliable to bet my life on if it ever came to that!?
I rented a range gun, G27 40cal... Had to shoot the ammo bought from the range but I had a couple BUffalo Bore rounds in my pocket to try.! :)
I now own 2 Glocks, a G27 & G23... They might not be pretty, but I have to admit that they are Dead.Nutz Reliable!!!!

BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570

#20 ·
No, I just posted the pictures that he sent me. I am meeting him tomorrow.

#22 ·
If you want to conceal the pistol get the 29, but put the Pearce extensions on it (model PG 29) you can get them from Glockstore or Glockmeister, they'll give you a full grip without adding much overall length to the pistol.

As far as over penetration goes, the lighter faster JHP bullets in the 135-155 range, at 1500-1600 fps don't really penetrate as much as you would expect. A lot of the bullets are made for the 40 S&W, and are driven to over the max intended velocities for those bullets, but would still be extremely effective for self defense, in my opinion. Save the 180-220 grain loadings for less urban environments, though.

Checkout tnoutdoors9 on Youtube, he has a few really good videos where he does some gel tests on some of the popular 10mm factory loadings.

Also, I really don't think the recoil from the 10mm Glocks is all that bad, but definitely not for recoil sensitive shooters.

Matt

#24 ·
I'm wanting a 10mm myself I will probably end up getting the G20 and buy the Lone Wolf 6 inch barrel for it and do so e hunting with it that's about the only reason I want it!!!! My carry gun is a G19 Gen4

#26 ·
I personally don't own one,but I know that has ballistics close to a 41 magnum which is one of my favorite rounds. If I could ever find one I would buy it. I know a game warden in Alaska who swears by a 10mm. I think a G29 or G20 would be great

#27 ·
Glock store, a great resource. I did put a heavier recoil spring in the both G29 and G20, and Wolf barrels. In the G20 put on a longer barrel that pushed out past the slide. The long barrel really reached some impressive speeds with hot reloads and was intended for hunting, it was almost a 41Mag. Now I only have the G29 with 180gr at 1175fps (14.8 grs of Little Gun). I don't consider it a handfull, but I'm a very experienced handgun shooter, and my primary concern is bears. I will agree with those say, that for ccw carry concerning humans a lighter 10mm load or a lighter cartridge will allow faster follow up shots, but in trained hands ever so slightly. The FBI did down load the 10mm, but the bigger problem was the large grip size of the S&W that was to large for some agents. Had the same problem training personnel with small hands on many handguns.

#28 ·
I bought it. There was a small scuff/scratch on the slide, but no big deal.

Now to stock up on ammo and mags! What holster do you guys use for yours?

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

#30 ·
STI Perfect 10. Long slide, 1911.

#31 ·
That would be cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.