+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By joecil
  • 2 Post By Tomray
  • 1 Post By YelloKW

Thread: Can the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Handle +P Ammo?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Can the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Handle +P Ammo?

Can the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Handle +P Ammo? Got a chance to buy some ammo at pre-panic prices, but not sure the weapon can handle it.

Can't find it mentioned in the manual.

Thanks!!
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on. I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. The Shootist (1976)

Wrangler
    Member #
    Nope, stay with SAAMI standard ammo with the Cattleman line or even a current Colt SAA as both will handle about max 20K PSI and best shot about 14psi to 15k psi. Also avoid Ruger only ammo as that is ment for Ruger Blackhawk and stronger guns which the Cattleman isn't one of. Good guns but is based on the orginal Colt designs.
    Bill M and Bapak2ja like this.
    Joe
    Team 45/70 #812

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Joecil offers GOOD advice............

I use a 250 Gr cast bullet over 7-8 Grs of UNIQUE in my Colt New Frontier and my USFA SAA, for a chrono's speed of 780-900 FPS, and I think the 7.0 gr load is the most accurate..............If you feel you need more power, buy a Ruger.

I once owned a Ruger Blackhawk that I used with 45 Colt loads that approached 44Mag billistics..........but it was not an accarate load for me.............I say this just to qualify the 45 Colt can be a real PowerHouse in the right gun.............

The 45 Colt ammo on the market today is concerning to me, as to what gun will handle it safely.......But I load my own, anyway

While we can all read of loads for the Colt SAA at 1000 FPS and faster, I think those loads are generally for the 44 caliber, NOT the 45......the 44 will run a little faster.

Cowboy loads are another thing............I've never loaded, bought or shot any........but they are generally for low power stuff, where less recoil is a plus..............

The Uberti Cattleman is a nice sixgun, don't damage it, or yourself with +P loads.

Tom
    Bill M and Bapak2ja like this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yeah those uberti pistol are built for the original load specs, if you had "old" model ruger vaqueros they would handle them. I don't even know if the "new" model vaqueros are made to handle those loads. I've got a uberti rifle and only load it up with cowboy loads. Same goes for it, built for the original specs, got to get a marlin if you want to supersize. I shoot cowboy shoots and the uberti is meant for it, nice pistol

PS if you are looking to get rid of the +P ammo i have some 38 target loads i would trade you box for box. Will probobly be in IN in a couple weeks.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    You didn't mention caliber. While I would be wary of .45 Colt +P loads, the .38/.357 versions will easily handle .38 +P and even standard .357 Magnum loads (though I would limit firing magnum loads to enhance the longevity of parts).
    "I'd rather be ashes than dust" Jack London

Gunfighter
    Member #
    In a word - NO. But a 250/255 gr bullet at 900 fps is a pretty powerful load. Unless you're hunting bear, it should be plenty.
    Experience is the key to making good decisions.
    The best experience comes from making bad decisions.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CtYankee View Post
    In a word - NO. But a 250/255 gr bullet at 900 fps is a pretty powerful load. Unless you're hunting bear, it should be plenty.
    I have 2 Blackhawks in .45 Colt that I used to load on the heavy side. They worked very well, but then I got into casting my own using a $20 Lee 250 gr mold. Using scrounged lead wheel weights and a book max load of HS-6 (not a Ruger only load) or 8 gr. of Unique I'm able to shoot my .45's for around 6 or 7 cents each. They are accurate with a lot less recoil than the heavy loads and cheap enough to practice a lot with. I have yet to see any critters walk away after being hit with one.
    dhansen likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links