Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Your favorite woods sidearm?

16K views 146 replies 120 participants last post by  giarc noskcaj 
#1 ·
If you don't mind sharing, what pistol do you grab when you hit the woods hunting, scouting, or hiking.

Caliber? And can you share a few points on why in regards to sidearm and caliber.

Thanks

#54 ·
I'm a creature of habit, I guess...............

As much as I try to choose other handguns to take into the woods, I always go back to two old Stand By's..............

If I want to carry a 22, I take my 4 1/2" Colt Match Target Woodsman..............My Dad built it at Colt in '52, and I shoot it very well.

If I think I may need a larger caliber, I 'll take my Colt Delta Elite 10MM..........I re-built it form a used donor gun, and it really turned out a great 25 yard Bullseye gun.

No sense me carrying something I can't shoot well................

Maybe this year, I'll try the recently aquired Colt New Frontier 45............?.......If I start to feel comfortable shooting it.

Some say the added weight is bothersome..............But I can tell you from experience, when you find you really need handgun in the woods, that extra weight is the farthest thing from your mind...........

Been there, and needed it.

Tom

#55 ·
Rookie 7 plus one on having your dog go with your kids - heelers make great kids dogs as they will stay with them. we've owned three and our latest will stick with my son like glue. He is also required to take the dog when out in the woods. Bears, lions and coyotes plus the most dangerous - two legged critters are out here. I've spent over 20 years wandering the woods for work and never saw the need to carry anything but a knife but recently I've started to carry my GSG 1911 - 22 and am looking to upgrade to a 357 or 44 revolver. If I still worked in dope growing country I'd have that revolver all ready. I've encountered lots of bears including sows with cubs and never had a problem as long as we respect each other. Coyotes always run though with a kid they might not. Lions you'll rarely see but a few of my co-workers have been stalked as have their dogs - lots of noise and thrashing will make them turn tail. Have not yet had a pig encounter as they are mostly nocturnal around here. My 22 sees the most action popping grouse and squirrels.

#56 ·
1911 with snake shot in my neck of the woods. Copperheads are an issue here and we shoot 'em on sight. Other than that, we don't have any werewolves or grizzly bear :)

#57 ·
I reckon it depends on which neck of the woods to determine which is my preferred sidearm... Different tools for different jobs, you know?

North end of town generally means either a .45 or .40 with an extra mag (or two). South end of town generally means anything that will go bang a few times. Up in the woods generally means I carry a .357 or better, and either a single-action or a double-action, depending on my mood. Most of the time, up in the woods, I am carrying the 1894, but I reckon I carry the Ruger SBH about as often.

#62 ·
I like a 3" N-frame for about any purpose. I do have a 2.5" 44 Mag waiting on me to pick up, though. In any case 44 Special and 41 Mag like these guys tends to get the job done well. I like the 44 Special for any 2 or 4 legged critter running around me. That big hole is fun and 6 shots is nice. Bundle it in a package that is small and it's pretty potent.

I made this rig for a customer about a month ago and eventually I'll make one like it with ammo slides for myself.

#65 ·
I just traded my Smith and Wesson 29 (which is overkill for Michigan) for a boat project. I carry my M&P .45. Will handle about anything I come across in the woods of the LP. If I venture to the UP where bears are more numerous and wolves are becoming a nuisance I will not go without a rifle.

#69 ·
If there is a game season open then I usually grab my hunting rilfe or .22 rifle. However if no game is in season, I usually grab one of my ruger revolvers....357 or 44mag Blackhawks.

#71 ·
+1 for the 10mm , I have an EEA witness in 10mm that is a great shooter and the 10mm is no slouch when it comes to putting the thump on something. For versatility it is a great round. As others in this thread have stated to get the most out of this cartridge hand loading is a must.

#75 ·
When wild hog hunting, I carry a S&W 629 as side arm, to complement my 1894 44 Magnum.
When deer or small game hunting, I carry a S&W 686, but looking forward to using my soon-to-come Ruger SP 101 357/38.

#79 · (Edited)
For plinking in the woods, I generally carry my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 44 Special as a companion to my 336-44

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

Both are deadly with Skeeter's load.

#80 ·
Count me into the Glock G20SF group also. There are very few things on this continent that I can't defend myself from with a 10MM loaded with Underwood or DoubleTap ammo.

Reactions: Warboar_21
#84 ·
I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 in a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker. The Safepacker allows the use of a shoulder strap or it can be strapped on a belt or backpack. It also has room for a spare magazine, a light, and ID/Credit Cards (and supposedly it will float if dropped in the water). The P-11 is really lightweight, relatively accurate, and uses the proven 9mm cartridge. Not many really dangerously big animals around here excepting gators and people...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.