+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

H&R Pardner pump turkey gun

I currently own a couple of the standard 12 gauge models that I bought at Walmart for $159.00 each some time ago. I like them alot. They come with a modified choke tube. I have been entertaining the idea of buying a short barreled security model shotgun so I started looking around at what was out there. I have owned the standard model security shotguns before with the 18" barrels/fixed cylinder bore choke and have always found them a bit limited. At standard distances a fella would use one for home defense the spread of shot between a cylinder bore and a modified is so small it really don't amount to much. You'd have to aim pretty good with both. But if one had to get outdoors where distances were a bit longer the shot spreads too quickly to be effective. (IMHO) So I was looking at the Pardner pump turkey model. (I think the barrel is 22"?) Comes with fiber optic sights and a turkey choke tube. (It is also drilled for a scope) I figured I could take out the turkey choke and replace it with a cylinder bore choke (Truchoke.com) and have a short range buckshot, and with the sights perhaps a slug gun that would be good for at least 50 yards. I already have modified chokes from my other shotguns but I am also going to purchase one of Truchokes extended full choke tubes and perhaps get decent groups with buckshot out to 40 yards. To me this is a lot more versatile than a standard defense model. The ability to change out chokes makes a world of difference. Anyway, I leave in about half an hour to pick up my new shotgun. We will see if my thinking was correct. I don't think the extra 4" on the barrel will make much difference around the house. Thoughts?
    Democracy- Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Liberty- A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: H&R Pardner pump turkey gun

OK, I got it home. First impressions; It's heavy. That's normal. The gun is short enough to be used as a home defense shotgun without any problems. It actually appears very short when compared to the standard models. The sights are a simple yet effective affair. Fiber optic that are easy to see with my older eyes. They are also easily removed and a bead can be put on the front if desired. The sights can be put on my other Pardner pumps if desired. The finish is a bit rough but I can find nothing to complain about. The action is very smooth. I comes with studs so a sling can be fitted easily.
    My thoughts; It is as well made as my other two Pardner pumps. It is very short and handy. Next payday I will purchase a cylinder, improved cylinder and extended full choke tubes from Truchoke. This type of gun IS a better choice in my opinion for home defense especially for the rural dweller where a little more rage could be desirable. With the sights removed and a simple bead screwed in I cannot imagine a much better gun for upland birds or rabbits. For waterfowl and such I like the longer barrels. As is I believe I will be able to make this into a short range slug gun with the right choke tube.. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. I don't get good ideas very often so I will take my time and savor the moment. This is my third Pardner pump shotgun as I have stated before. I just don't think one can have too many shotguns. The price is incredible for what you get. I believe there will be more added to the collection before too long.
    I bought this gun through Gun Genie which I am using more and more often. It allows me to see the sale price for all dealers within 50 miles from my house. If anything is wrong with the gun I take it back to the dealer who then ships it back for replacement, no questions asked. Can ya beat thet? The total price out the door was $227.95... Yeah, I'm happy...
    Democracy- Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Liberty- A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Sounds like you got everything figured out with your trio of Pardners, i'm not sure I have handled one, but if they are like the single shot rifles and shotguns by H&R/NEF they are rugged dependable shotguns. Me personally would worry little about barrel length on a gun to defend myself in the home. Overall I am sure more bad guys have been shot to death by standard hunting shotguns with birdshot than tactical style with buckshot. I would liek to see a picture of your 3 Pardners if you can post a picture? Do they have a 3.5" chamber?

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #

"if they are like the single shot rifles and shotguns by H&R/NEF they are rugged dependable shotguns."

And beat the fool outta yer shoulders My old Iver Johnson 20ga single shot is one of the hardest kicking guns I've ever fired.
    Team 35 Member #3

Gunfighter
    Member #

I got my son a pardner pump in 20 gauge with a 20 inch barrel and he loves it.We put in a kick's gobblin thunder choke and it patterns great.Recoil is not bad because the receiver has a little weight compared to an 870.
    Happiness is a warm gun.....The Beatles

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links