+ Reply to Thread

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Ever hear of a Palmetto shotgun?

Have any of you ever heard of,or had any experience with a Palmetto s/gun? My dad,s friend gave him one about 25 years ago when he retired to Ga. He died shortly after. Any info you all could give me on them I would greatly appreciate.I have been shootin it for years,and it shoots great,but I quit shootin it cause my dad wanted it back in memory of his friend.I had to do some maintenance on it over the years.It is a 20 ga. single shot.I have been told that they were made by Stevens for the department stores back in the 30,s. I heard also that the steel used then wasn,t that good,and the build quality was poor.What do you all think? Thank you.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Re: Ever hear of a Palmetto shotgun?

Come guys just punch it into Goolge >

Palmetto 12 gauge shotgun?
    In: Misc Shotguns [Edit categories]

[Edit]

Answer
    Palmetto was a trade name used by Edward K Tryon of Philadelphia on lower grade revolvers and shotguns sold thru hardware stores, c.1880 - 1914 <<>>> Palmetto Arms Co was actually a trade name used by the Tryon Hardware/Catalog company in Philadelphia between around 1900-1925. The shotgun was made by one of a few different manufacturers such as Crescent Firearms, Hopkins & Allen or Stevens.

Value is mainly as a decoration. Generally considered unsafe to shoot with modern ammunition.

--Chaser11
    "AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP
    For SECURITY."-_Norman Vincent Peale-_________REMEMBER. "SECURITY
    WITHOUT LIBERTY Is Called PRISON."---J.L.W.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks a bunch Chaser11. I did try searches and didn,t have much luck.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I bought a new Mossberg 20 ga. pump this year after I gave it back to my dad.I never shot slugs or hi-brass in the Palmetto,only lo-brass target store bought loads.I knew it was old,but I never figured it was that old.I initially figured it was from the 50,s or 60,s. It wasn,t until lately that I was informed they were possibly made by Stevens that they were from 30,s vintage. Now, thanks to Chaser,I know that they are older than that. Chaser,shouldn,t modern factory ammo in lo-brass be generaly safe.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by good ole boy
    I bought a new Mossberg 20 ga. pump this year after I gave it back to my dad.I never shot slugs or hi-brass in the Palmetto,only lo-brass target store bought loads.I knew it was old,but I never figured it was that old.I initially figured it was from the 50,s or 60,s. It wasn,t until lately that I was informed they were possibly made by Stevens that they were from 30,s vintage. Now, thanks to Chaser,I know that they are older than that. Chaser,shouldn,t modern factory ammo in lo-brass be generaly safe.
    I would think lite trap loads would be ,but ck withj some one who knows more about those things ,I just surfed up the info online.--Chaser11
    "AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP
    For SECURITY."-_Norman Vincent Peale-_________REMEMBER. "SECURITY
    WITHOUT LIBERTY Is Called PRISON."---J.L.W.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks,that,s what I would use,the trap loads.I would either get the case of them in W/Mart,or buy them by the box on sale in Dicks,Cabelas etc. I probably put at least 1000 rounds thru it shootin black birds and sparrows and such.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I have a 16 guage Palmetto shotgun that my grandfather shot and killed a man with 1909. I just aquired it from an older cousin about five years ago. It is still in good shooting condition . I have fired it some since I obtained it. It has a 32 inch barrel. I am 69 years old and I think it was originally owned by my great grandfather who was living during the civil war. My cousin won a lot of turkeys with it at shooting matches. It is one of my most prized posessions due to the family history behind it.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    An old family gun is neat. If its that old though my friend, it might be time to hang it on the wall. That gun was not proof fired for the shells today, nor depending on the bore and chamber, is it made to digest the modern shell lengths. 16 ga for sure at that time, were only 2 9/16", rather than the more modern 2 3/4". Pressure only goes one way, and thats up when shooting modern shells in a short chamber.
    Does it occur to those that believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, may be because that guy takes the time to take care of his grass?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links