+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

H&R Topper JR. Classic 20 Gauge ... Need help.

Hi there... new to the forum and had a few questions I was hoping to get some help with. I just picked up a nice H&R Topper JR. Classic 20 Gauge... it has no choke or thread but the barrel reads Mod?
    I also noticed that where the stock meets the receiver it has a point to it... I posted a pic to show. I noticed in looking at some pictures of this model the stock is flat where it meets the receiver unlike mine, any ideas?
    Can I use slugs with this one?

I also would like some help dating this... the serial starts with HU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wrangler
    Member #
    Congratulations on purchasing a nice little 20 guage. That is a great gun for a youngster or a lighter gun for you to carry. 20 guage will kill anything a 12 gauge will, it just is nicer to carry and doesn't bark and bite quite as bad on the shooter's end. I am not an H & R expert, but I have looked at them some so I can answer some of your questions. The barrel is stamped "mod" because it has a fixed modified choke, not a screw in choke. Actually, modified is my favorite choke for most hunting applications. You can't shoot ducks a mile away and its too tight for really close in fast action, but for most general purpose hunting it works fine. You can shoot slugs through a modified choke barrel. Don't buy the high priced saboted slugs. Buy the cheap $5 a box Remington, Winchesters, or Federals. You'll have to shoot it to see which it likes best. You should be fine to 50 yards, probably fine to 75 yards, and 100 yards is about the maximum you could ever hope for. You've only got a shotgun bead on the end of the barrel so you have to play with it and figure out how to hold. I know that sounds really primitive to you guys from center fire rifle states, but Iowa is a shotgun with slug or muzzleloader deer hunting state and you can't believe how many guys hunt deer with their smooth bore shotgun and slugs. Figure out your effective range and don't try shooting farther than that and you'll do fine. I don't know the H & R specifics so I'll let somebody else help you with those questions. Enjoy.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi there... thanks for the reply and the info! My son and I are going to the range this weekend to try it out, looking forward to shooting this! I called H&R and they told me it's a 2004 model.

Thanks again.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome and have fun with your new gun! Just get "Rifled Slugs", the Foster type and you'll be good to go. Your gun is chambered for 3" shells, you won't need anything that powerful for most game.
    "a man ought to have a good rifle, needn't be an expensive rifle, needn't be a powerful rifle, just a good rifle" - Old Moe

Veteran 68-74
    Team Old Pharts #131, "Older is better, in people and in guns"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links