Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Added a "Cavalry Model" carbine to the H&R Trapdoor stable

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pat/Rick 
#1 ·
Added a "Cavalry Model" carbine to the H&R Trapdoor stable

I came across a "Cavalry Model" H&R 1873 Trapdoor carbine recently and added it to the Officer's Model and Infantry Musket H&R Trapdoors already in the collection:

The "Cavalry Model" carbine has a deep black-blue finish with "Cavalry Model" in script on the top-right side of the loading door. There is a sling bar and ring on the left side of the stock. The Carbine's finish and wood are flawless, despite the previous owner having fired it occasionally with only Remington factory 405 gr ammo.

I've been looking for some time for a nice H&R Trapdoor Carbine with the conventional straight stock instead of the iridescent-plated steel pistol grip extension like was fitted to the H&R "Little Big Horn" trapdoor models and others. This "Cavalry Model" fits the bill nicely.

I've modified the loading gate latch shafts for both the Officers and Infantry Musket, drilling spotting recesses in the shafts and installing a short pointed set screw beneath the regular set screw to prevent loosening of the locking latch on the shaft. Now I have a project for this weekend if the weather's lousy . . .

Looking forward to trying my pet 45-70 load of 13 gr of Unique under a 400 gr cast flat point. That load shoots like gangbusters in the Officers and Infantry H&Rs.

Noah

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the info.

I won an auction for one and was curious as to how well they were built. Most comments on the internet seem to be positive about them. Since the one that I'm getting is NIB, I won't be shooting it anyway. It will continue to be a safe queen.

#6 ·
m2 please buy a mold and try to wear that thing out. about 20 years ago i got an unfired 357 3 screw blackhawk in a preseatation case, gold trim stag grips the works. after 15 years thought hey i will die and one of my boys will make a trot-line sinker out of it, i really enjoy shooting that gun.

#8 ·
I'd like to find one for a sort of daily shooter. I'm not to keen on the officers model, but those are the one's that seem to be in abundance. Well, a trap door or a rolling block, hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.