+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How is the .35 REM for Black Bears ?

Wrangler
    Member #

How is the .35 REM for Black Bears ?

Anybody out there have first hand experience with the 35 REM for Bear ??
    My brother and I have a fall bear hunt booked for northern Maine.
    Hunting will be at relatively close range over bait, but the outfitter says there are some big bears out there this year.
    I'm using my 1895 with Garrett's hot-rods, a combo that was very successful for me in Alberta earlier this year, and the outfitter is all good to go on my set up.
    My brother plans to use his 336 in .35 REM, and we are definately not feeling the warm rays of approval from the outfitter on this choice ! He is pretty set on that this is not enough gun.
    Bro plans to use Hornady Leverevolution 200 grainers.
    We also have the Buffalo Bore 220 grain stuff available.
    On paper these rounds look pretty good, with energy and TKO numbers that rival std 30-06 loads, but I've learned over my hunting life that paper numbers often don't compare favorably to a knowing woodsman's many years of experience, and our outfitter has been doing this for better than 30 years.
    I'm anxious to hear your experiences.

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: How is the .35 REM for Black Bears ?

well I cant say with any experience what the 35 will do to a black bear.I havent taken one with the 35...........but I certainly would not hesitate if that is the rifle I chose.I love my old 35 and would likely have taken it with me to Alaska except for the fact that it has taken its share of game and my MR had no blood to its credit.If you are hunting over bait your shots will be short range.A well placed 200 grain LE load will take blackie to the great forest in the sky,with no doubt at all.The outfitter may have been doing this along time...but we can all still learn something every day.TEACH HIM!!!!!!!!!
    Timber likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #

In the range its intended?? Bout as good as it gets. Pop him with a 35 pumpkin ball, He will go to sleep If thats what I wanted to take. Take her I would. And never think twice about it. But ya got to be thinking if theres a chance of a longer shot. Because youd have to get closer or let it pass. Cool deal going with your Bro. Got one thats my bestest hunting buddy..Good luck and be safe.Gunrunner,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

My brother has killed 3 black bear with his 336 in 35 Remington. Within range they are supremely superb! I'd opt for the 220 gr. They are a tough bullet. I handload them and shot a deer with them last year. It did a great job and would be my choice on bear.

If you don't believe me, just click on the link below and see what the great Elmer Keith had to say.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    erimort and Colonel26 like this.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Wrangler
    Member #

I've never used the .35 in a Marlin, but I've killed a few bear and elk with a T/C pistol in .35 rem!

What can I say? 2 dead black bear and 1 dead elk. 1 bear was at about 75 yards, the other at near 200 yards. The elk was at about 125 yards. All 1 shot kills, all 3 shots were a 215gr cast bullet.

huskie-06 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have to believe that 220 with a good hit within reasonable range is going to do the job.
    Team444 #228

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

A lot of people underestimate the killing power of the .35 Remington. With 220 grain slugs your brother will put any bear on bait to sleep permanently as long as he hits the critter in the right place.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Tinhorn
    Member #

Airwink,

Your brother should have no problem with the 35 Rem. I have seen many bear taken with it. All the bullets people have listed as well as the lever revolution will do just fine. I really like to see the hard cast bullet, they make a big hole and a big exit. Some outfitters want more gun to make up for a bad hit. Just let this guy know that you will be shooting a lot if you don't already. Get all the info on his stands, height, angle, distence. Put one right through the boiler room, both lungs............Done deal!!!!!

Good Hunting, where willyou guys be? I live and guide in Northern Maine..........

Wrangler
    Member #

Wild Country...
    Thanks for the info.
    My gut feeling was the 35REM would be good to go.
    That said, I know the bears are tuff and tracking by blood trail is definately hit or miss.
    Last fall I hunted with Wayne Boskowitz's outfit, and I saw a few bears that were hit well still get off to where they were not recovered.
    That was pretty much the reason I decided to buy an 1895 and start experimenting with the .45-70 thumpers !
    This fall we are going to Dri-Ki Lodge, near Patten Maine, and our outfitter is the owner, Robert Keim.
    Never hunted with his outfit before, but I hear good things about them, and the Lodge looks like it's in a pretty spot.
    WINK

Tinhorn
    Member #

Wink...

PM sent

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links