+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: gun storage under my stairs? anyone ever do this?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Short story: We built a new office building once upon a time. Grade dictated that the north end of said building be cut into the side of a hill. Outside, the dirt was about 4.5-5' up against the north wall. My office was at that location. I had a cased Colt's Navy in a display case on a bookcase. Janitor closed the case on Friday afternoon. Monday AM I had a nice red (rust) Colt. Tears!!!! jack
    Gallo Pazzesco and gunrunner like this.
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A quite a few years back we had a two story home (we don't have basements here in Oz) and I used the storage area under the stairs to built myself a small gun and loading room there.
    This was before we needed safes to store firearms, I lined all the interior walls with 1" marine ply (made the area a lot more secure) I hung hooks from the back of the stairs for my rifles.
    I ran a double neon light on the onterior wall and a bench below the light and also a couple of double power points. I had some 1/8 inch steel plate so I screwed this to the exterior side of the solid door (yeah, paint it the same as the walls) and used two deadlocks to secure the door.
    You could still use this idea and just put your safe down the end and keep that in there too. I found this a good idea as guests did not ask what was this room for.
    biku324 and gunrunner like this.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have had my sump pump back up twice in my split fore both times major problems.I would think twice. about putting my guns down there.another thing most insurance policies only cover $2500 for firearms

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I'm from Texas and we don't have basements, so I can't really contribute to that part of the discussion except to say that I always heard that basements and guns don't mix. So I can only contribute this - I have a friend who converted a closet to a safe. He screwed expanded metal to the walls and reinforced the door jam. He replace the door with a steel skin door and put three dead bolt locks on it. Can't remember what he did about the hinges.
    gunrunner likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    IMHO.... I think you will be good to go! SE Louisiana is humid and salt laden, get a decent de-humidifier and you should be good to go. Silicon laden socks will also help a lot.

I have ZERO rust issues.

Some of the guys fron Florida should be able to kick in their 2 cents worth as well. Humidity is a *****! More so I would think than being in a basement.
    gunrunner likes this.
    Team 30-30 #616
    Team 35 #366
    Team 39 #169
    Team 45-70 # 849

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    See if you can swap for some upstairs closet space.

The last house I had before this one had a walk-in closet that was the real reason my wife loved the house. I negotiated for 32" of space at the far end of the closet, then built a stud & plate 2x4 wall across the 6' end of the walk-in, faced it with 21/32" plywood, then faced the plywood with lightweight drywall and finished it to match closet walls. I installed a 28" windowless exterior steel door in a reinforced (triple studs bolted together at 32" intervals on each side) frame; I put in a standard but good deadbolt in both the knob and lock door cuts, and used stainless steel 5" screws for hinge mounts on the frame side of the door. Interior walls and ceiling were more 21/32" plywood all around; of course I included a 2-bulb light fixture and a quad plug fixture.

On the outside of the door facing toward the closet I installed a hanging shoe rack which my wife easily filled; so long as I kept a pair of shoes in front of the locks, the whole safe room was invisible to anyone who didn't know about it; it was also too much trouble for casual burglars to fool with even if they discovered it.

It was far, far cheaper than even a cheap safe and had tons more room.
    gunrunner likes this.
    "It's still too prolix." - ex-Pfc Wintergreen

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yeah I know other space would be better but it is just not an option. It will be in the basement somewhere, and I thought this would be unused space and it would keep the funs safe from the kids. I have no safe, and I have no room for one or money for one.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Mine have lived in the basement most of the time, in an old bank strongbox that I modified. I keep the big desi-packs in with 'em, and they have all been waxed (except the parkerized ones). They do fine...but it's a dryer than average basement in N.W. NC.
    gunrunner likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    What type of heat do you have in your home?
    Forced hot air ? heat pump?Radiation?
    Stick a piece of baseboard in there .
    Run a duct in there .
    But the sump pump concerns me .
    If you dont have a back up generator with a automatic switch over switch you are in for trouble .
    You will constantly fight moisture with that sump pump in the general area.
    Just my .02 cents
    Good luck . Keep us up to date with this .

Pete
    anysoldier.com

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Consider the ceiling in the master BR closet. Design a drop down shelf for there. The concept of the drop down is like a recipe book holder for under a kitchen cabinet.
    biku324 likes this.
    Team 444 member #205

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links