+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ia1727
  • 1 Post By 1895Gunner
  • 1 Post By dag
  • 1 Post By thearborbarber
  • 1 Post By Cowboy gun

Thread: A new Scheels opening up here ...

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #

A new Scheels opening up here ...

Can you all give your experience with a Scheels store? There is a new one opening up here about the midpoint between a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cabela's and I have never been to one. Do they have competitive prices on guns, reloading supplies, and camo underwear? Do they have a used gun rack?

I have read where they are going to have a 65' ferris wheel in the store but that will not interest me unless they serve free hotwings and curly fries while waiting in line to ride it .

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Not to dampen your interest Doug---but we have one about 70 miles from us that we "USE TO GO TO " a few times a year. In my opinion it's similar to Gander Mountain stores anymore. Lots of neat stuff but very pricy----------gun trade-ins are 30 cents on the dollar and they are almost impossible to deal with on price of new or used guns. Ammo and some reloading supplies aren't quite as bad if you can catch sales. I haven't been to the one here in probably 3 years-------with internet shopping today---I'm surprised places like this can stay in business.

Hope yours is much better------------really big in fishing and sport clothing also.

Steve
    bigjeepman likes this.
    " Knowledge Not Shared Is Energy Wasted"

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjeepman View Post
    Can you all give your experience with a Scheels store? There is a new one opening up here about the midpoint between a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cabela's and I have never been to one. Do they have competitive prices on guns, reloading supplies, and camo underwear? Do they have a used gun rack?

I have read where they are going to have a 65' ferris wheel in the store but that will not interest me unless they serve free hotwings and curly fries while waiting in line to ride it .

LOL, wish I had one around me so I could at least get a chance to be in one. We have a Bass Pro which is ALWAYS packed since it is close to Disney and Universal. There is a Gander Mountain about an hour & one half away which I went to on opening day; was disappointed. Dicks is a joke, went once. Gotta say I do like our Bass Pro. I buy all my primers & powder there, everything else is from out in Gore's invention.

You are a lucky man to be close to all three Doug!

1895gunner
    bigjeepman likes this.

dag
    Deadeye
    Member #
    My experience with Scheels has been good, I have been to three different stores and to each many times. I wonder if store management makes all the difference. I have even been able to deal on new guns as to price. I didn't trade a gun in it was an outright purchase and I have not bought a used gun from them. The selection at the stores I have been to is good, the prices competitive especially when you figure you aren't paying shipping costs. The used gun selection has been decent every time I have been to a store, but since these stores are in Montana and North Dakota they may put more stress on guns than their other stores in other locations do.
    bigjeepman likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    The guns are reasonably cheap but just about everything else I get from cabelas anymore. Geez just a couple of years ago I thought they were overpriced now the other stores have overtaken thier pricing.
    bigjeepman likes this.
    It is introspective, and I want to introspect.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Hey gunner, I used to shop that Bass Pro. Didn't live very far from it, thats where we would go to the movies. I miss that store. No experience with Scheels though. Have a Gander Mountain close but usually use the LGS as they are better to deal with and prices are better.
    bigjeepman likes this.
    1895CB
    .35 Texan
    Glenfield 30-30
    1895SS

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Great stores if you enjoy snotty employees and high prices. So sorry to be negative, just my experience. Who knows, there may be a good one out there. Haven't been in one in four years or so; things change.

Team Marlin Express Co-Capt'n Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
    Member #
    Hey BJM

I like the Scheels we have in west Omaha. Besides the 65ft Ferris wheel they have a NASCAR simulator type ride.

Seriously they have a better selection of reloading gear than either Cabelas or Bass Pro - both of which are closer to where I live. They were the only local place to carry 308ME FTX bullets. I did see some 338MX brass though the last time I was at Cabelas, but they were very proud of it. I've bought powder, primers, bullets, a Lyman trimmer, and a bunch of other stuff at Scheels.

The used guns I've seen were decently priced, I almost bought a used 444XLR there when I was searching for my 338MX. I think the price was $599 and it didn't look very used.

I guess every store is different but I like ours.
    -chris

Team Marlin Express
    308 Marlin Express
    338 Marlin Express

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I don't care for Scheels, but I don't like any of the big sporting goods stores.

We have a Bass Pro Shop near us. It is way overpriced on most items, and the staff doesn't know much about what they are selling, that's if you can get someone to help you.

While taking a trip last fall, I visited a Scheels, Gander Mountain, Dick's Spoting Goods, and a couple of other BPS.

I wasn't impressed by any of them. One thing they all had in common was crappy cutomer service.

If I want bad service, I will just go to Academy, at least they usually have better prices.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #
    Scheels stores vary. There is one in Lincoln and one in Omaha. The Lincoln store won't deal for squat on guns the over price on the tag is what it cost, but the store in Omaha will deal. I have bought several guns from the Omaha store and hardly ever go to the Lincoln store. Hopefully your store will be one that will deal.

There is a Bass Pro shop in Council Bluffs, IA and I like that store. I have got to know a couple of the guys in the gun/hunting dept. One was an Army Sniper and the other a Marine Corps Scout Sniper. Having been a Navy Corpsman assigned to Scout Snipers we all hit if off. When they see me in the store they always say hi Doc. these guys know their guns and hunting stuff and are just good guys to deal with. They had the cheapest price on the Browning 1911-22 which I couldn't buy there not being a resident, but Scheels matched their price.
    Last edited by big medicine; 04-09-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links