+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: marlin 39a and 39m

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

marlin 39a and 39m

what is the difference between the 39m and the 39a. Are there any specific problems one should know about before buying one of these rifles. I've been thinking of getting on for a while now. I have a ruger 10/22 and I really don't have that warm fuzzy feeling for it but I do want to have a 22 rifle in the safe for new shooters and for just messin around with and nothing is better than a good lever gun. Are these rifles worth the high prices I see on gunbroker and what should I be paying for one.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    M stands for mountie and has a straight stock along with a20 in barrel, while the 39a has a pistol grip and a24in barrel. Mounties were produced from 58? To 88? I'm not 100% sure on the dates but the mounties are typically more sought after and harder to find. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Great rifles! My 39A is my hands-down all-time favorite rifle to shoot.

Mama likes shooting it, my sons enjoy shooting it. Accurate, reliable and it just plain feels and looks right. They tend to be very well built guns overall.

As CaliCoastie mentioned, the Mountie is a shorter, handier version with a straight grip stock. I learned to shoot with one back in the early 1960's, and Dad still uses that rifle to teach youngsters how to shoot. When I was a kid I managed to break the firing pin on it while dry-firing for practice. Other than that I've never had a bit of trouble with Dad's 39m or my 39A.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I don't know what a 39M is. I have a 1963 Mountie and the barrel is marked 39A - it's also marked Mountie. Are some of them marked 39M? I've never seen another one up close, i never knew other people considered them special until I joined this forum.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I believe it started as 39a-mountie, the shortened at some time to just 39m. Not to derail the thread but m700, what kind of fixed Leupold is on that last 39 it looks really good, and your pm box is full.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    You will be lucky to find a 39A/M in shooting condition under $300.00.The last one I bought off Gunbroker(Mountie) was $330.inc.S&H.It had several buggered screws and vice-grip marks on the takedown screw but was "slickern snot on a door knob" and shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds.New screws and a little elbow grease on the stocks turned it into my favorite of many .22's

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    According to my research-

Marlin model 39Ms marked as "Golden 39M" were manufactured from 1972 to 1987. They are like the 39A except for the shorter barrel and the straight grip stock. There was also a "39M" that was a carbine style- 20" barrel and straight stock with squared lever.

The Mountie came out marked 2 ways- "39A Mountie" (1953-1957) and "Golden 39A Mountie" (1957-1972).

There is also a 39D out there with a 20" barrel and a pistol grip stock.

All of these are good guns. The people who have them for sale are asking top dollar as a rule because of the reputation of the 39 series. I have a Golden 39A and to me its worth the money they're going for now.

M
    Ballplayer likes this.
    I am still clinging to guns and religion.

Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, AMVETs
    Life Member, Military Police Regimental Association

1893, 1894 CS, 1894 CB, 444SS, 39A Golden, 81 DL, 80 DL, Glenfield 30 "SC", 39M Octagon, and a 922M....

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    39A's are cool......but nothing tops a Golden 39A Mountie.

The 39A is the standard by which all other 22 rifles are judged, it dissasembles in seconds with only a coin. It's a legend among people who know rifles.

My 1957 Golden 39A Mountie....
    Last edited by six_gunz; 11-11-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Ballplayer likes this.
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Guys, Picked one up (Marlin Golden 39M from 1981) just two hours ago. Was at our local Hardware Store/Gun Shop and saw it sitting there. Came home, got some money and went back and bought it. It's in NRA 95% condition. Only one slight scratch on the right side of the receiver. Nice figure to the walnut also. Only question I have is on the scope mount attached to the receiver. The very two front screw holes up by the rear site have what appear to be set screws running through and touching the barrel. Is this normal? Have not used the take down screw to take it apart yet. When unscrewing the take down screw, will parts fly hither and yon? This is my first Marlin .22RF lever action. Thanking you guys in advance.
    358 Win
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I guess I'm extremely lucky. My brother & I got 39a & 39m for Christmas of 1978. I was 10 he was 12 so he got the 39a I got the 39m. I can't even begin to count how many rounds have been shot through the two on them. After my brother passed away my folks gave me all of his guns so I have both in my safe. Now my 11 year old son shoots the 39m and I use the 39a. I have never had any trouble with either. I had no idea they so sought after till a co-worker told me what a hard time he was having trying to find one. He offered me $350 but he understood why neither one is sale.
    erimort likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links