+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contributing Member
    Member #

Gunsmoke questions~~~

Hello,

I know that we have had a couple of threads about GUNS in movies and on television shows.

I have rabbit ears on our boob tube and have been watching old Gunsmoke shows on M.E. - a channel on Montana's KECI's website. They have M.E. and THIS stations plus their local news. I watch the b/w and color shows = Gunsmoke plus a bunch of other westerns.

Why did Chester not carry a s/a revolver? He always grabs a rifle and only once in a blue moon will he pick up a handgun and that depends on the story if he picks up a bad guy's gun or if Matt hands him one.

Why did Chester limp? Was he in an accident, in the war or did he have a wooden leg? You can tell this when he rides his horse too.

I did some searches and could not find the exact answer except Chester did say that he preferred a rifle in one old show because he could not shoot a handgun well (?). I think that I heard that right but I am not positive!

I used to watch this as a KID but I do not remember why Chester did not carry a sixgun or how he got his bad leg.

Thanks.

Catherine
    Catherine

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: Gunsmoke questions~~~

I watch it all the time Cate but I don't have any definate answers to your questions. I do seem to remember Chester saying something about shooting a rifle a lot better than a six gun. Not sure why he limped .

bjm

Deadeye
    Member #

Hello I'm 48 and I'm starting to watch these old shows for the first time. We stopped paying for Dish/Cable and now just the antenna TV. ME-TV is great. I only watched Rifleman reruns as a kid, I still think they're the best.

Matt
    Team 39 #8 1892, CB, Mountie-Oct ,Mountie
    Team 38-55 #14 CB
    Team 1984 #76 CB 44-40, CBC 38, CB 32-20, CSS 357, 22Mag
    Team 30-30 #207 CB, Texan
    Team 45/70 #263 CB, GS

A government is merely a body of men, usually noticeably ungoverned.

Ginger or MaryAnn?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

According to Dennis Weaver, he came up with the idea of the limp so his character would be distinctively different than the big tall Marshall and also to account for the reason he didn't carry a gun. Something I bet most people didn't know is Weaver is 6'2" tall. He sure didn't look that tall standing next to 6'7" tall Arness.
    SI VIS PACEM--PARA BELLUM

Contributing Member
    Member #

Thanks!

Catherine
    Catherine

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cate,

Watching ME TV is just like being a kid again!
    I watched all those shows as a kid. It is great. I haven't seen Batman in 40 years! Still corny, but still good TV.
    I always wanted a Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird. I bought one and of couse it happed to be black! The batmobile!

Can't help you on your questions. But I had to chime in and say I love ME TV too!

John

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Member #

I remember Dennis Weaver on some talk show demonstrating how he could run and jump with his Chester limp. Don't remember why the limp. This was back when he was still on the show.

jpickar.... That Super Bird makes me feel lile A kid again!!!!
    Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be disapointed

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Gaterskiner,

That pic was taken in 1985 right after I got it. It was originally a yellow car. I did away with the red and put white Plymouth on it. I had a '70, '71 GTX and a 70 RR convt. too!

I lived IN the Denver area in the 80's. I had to have something I could work on and use IN town. I really had fun with those cars. I was a kid and had fun like a kid back then!

John

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Chester had a learning curve. I'm thinking he was learning to fast draw...Kinda a " I just F#@&! shot myself" but unlike Tex he learned not to play with guns

Well someone was going to say it.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

"According to Dennis Weaver, the late actor who played the role of Chester Goode, the producers of the show wanted him to develop a disability to explain why Chester never carried a gun and had a nonviolent attitude. Weaver showed up to the first day of shooting and demonstrated the now famous limp, without any explanation as to why or how Chester got it. The producers loved it and from the beginning of the series, Chester limped, though on occasion Weaver would forget and limp with the wrong leg."

I always got a kick out of pointing out the blacksmith (Burt Reynolds) to folks who never saw the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T646gNcRiMs

One of the reasons why he don't carry a gun is he killed a man with one, told about in this episode where he shoots that mans brother with a handgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkF8G...eature=related
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links