+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cowpoke
    Member #

Shipping Ammo in the US Mail

I guess you can ship ammo in the US Mail. UPS transfered my ammo shipment to the Post office
    when it reached the hub closest to me.

I'll keep the paperwork as Record of Precedence and I'll be sending ammo in the mail from here on out.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: Shipping Ammo in the US Mail

Last I heard that you can't ship ammo in the mail. It is a felony to do so. UPS may have a contract with the post office. But you don't. I wouldn't try it.

John

Cowpoke
    Member #

I've read Title 49 CFR and it is not illegal for small quantities of small arms transported as ORM–D. The problem is, if its labeled correctly, USPS probably won't accept it for shipment mainly because the average Postal worker don't know the law. A "contract" can't negate the law.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

This is from the official USPS guide to shipping
    Some items, however, are not
    permitted in the mail, including:
    · Alcoholic beverages
    · Ammunition
    · Drug paraphernalia
    · Fireworks and other explosives
    Call 1·800·ASK·USPS or visit your Post Office if you have questions about the item you want to mail
    30AS.....30/30
    336 CS....35 Rem
    60...........22 LR
    25 N........22 LR
    25 NM......22 Mag
    Team .35....#203
    Team 30/30..#65

Cowpoke
    Member #

I've read the regulation, next I tem I need kind people to point me to is the specific law where shipping ammunition via USPS is considered to be a felony. I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm trying to educate myself.

My shipping tracking info is as follows:

"As requested by the sender, UPS has transferred this shipment to the local post office for delivery to the final destination."

I just got off the phone with the Wizard of OZ and they said its against Postal policy, not against the law. They admitted to the contradiction but its meant to discourage hazardous items.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Well went throught is before, but I will try again.

You might be able to get away with it but why would you want to try?
    IN the Brady Bill it is written that any payment of of any gun or ammunition is a felony, IF the check is bad or intent to defraud.

Go do what you want. I just wanted to warn you.

John

Cowpoke
    Member #

I added to my post above. Is not about anything other than the Contradiction to me.

Member #

I think I'm finally starting to understand .....Its a rule not a law..........However where you get into trouble is if you lie about the contents of the package

If you lie when shipping ammunition, you are in violation of Federal law and Department of Transportation HAZMAT regulations. And yes, DOT considers ammunition HAZMAT even when reclassed as ORM-D. Shipping an undeclared hazardous material shipment carries a minimum civil fine of $15,000.00 per day for each day the package is in transit. The criminal penalties are up to 5 years in prison or 10 years if anyone is injured as a result of the shipment.

I always knew a lie was a sin but never knew you could be arrested for it
    30AS.....30/30
    336 CS....35 Rem
    60...........22 LR
    25 N........22 LR
    25 NM......22 Mag
    Team .35....#203
    Team 30/30..#65

Cowpoke
    Member #

I'm Hazardous Cargo certified.

The Postal intent is to keep this stuff off of aircraft and I fully understand. Its hard enough to get the general public to follow labeling requirements. The Postal Service is too cheap to hire enough certifiers for haz-mat. It takes good money to get someone to sign their name to a Haz-Dec since they made consequences (accidents) from mistakes punishable by imprisonment and financial restitution. A Haz-Dec is not required under the circumstances and only Fed-Ex does them anyway. To be fair to the Postal Service under my circumstance, they didn't accept custody until it was a "ground" final destination delivery.

Final answer: No, I won't be sneaking any ammo throught the Post Office out of respect for their policy eventhough I know a loophole that I discused with the Wizard of Oz. The loophole is to have the postage affixed, and properly labeled then stuff it into a blue postal recepticle.

Member #

Small arms ammunition is a hazardous material and is not mailable, same goes for primers, primed brass and powder, they must be shipped UPS or Fedex ground, there's no hazmat fee for shipping loaded ammo, but it must be marked properly and packed according to ORM-D rules.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...#msg1098768266

Tim

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm#ep898624

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_004.htm

323 Mailer Responsibility
    Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with all postal and nonpostal
    laws and regulations in the mailing of hazardous material. Anyone who mails,
    or causes to be mailed, a nonmailable or improperly packaged hazardous
    material can be subject to legal penalties (i.e., fines and/or imprisonment),
    including but not limited to those specified in The transport of
    hazardous materials prior to entry as U.S. Mail is subject to DOT regulations.
    341.22 Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
    26 Publication 52
    b. Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending
    on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as
    permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.
    c. Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1,
    1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive depending on the degree of hazard.
    Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to
    be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated
    primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and
    propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...8----000-.html

§ 3018. Hazardous material

(a) In General.— The Postal Service shall prescribe regulations for the safe transportation of hazardous material in the mail.
    (b) Prohibitions.— No person may—
    (1) mail or cause to be mailed hazardous material that has been declared by statute or Postal Service regulation to be nonmailable;
    (2) mail or cause to be mailed hazardous material in violation of any statute or Postal Service regulation restricting the time, place, or manner in which hazardous material may be mailed; or
    (3) manufacture, distribute, or sell any container, packaging kit, or similar device that—
    (A) is represented, marked, certified, or sold by such person for use in the mailing of hazardous material; and
    (B) fails to conform with any statute or Postal Service regulation setting forth standards for a container, packaging kit, or similar device used for the mailing of hazardous material.
    (c) Civil Penalty; Clean-Up Costs and Damages.—
    (1) In general.— A person who knowingly violates this section or a regulation prescribed under this section shall be liable for—
    (A) a civil penalty of at least $250, but not more than $100,000, for each violation;
    (B) the costs of any clean-up associated with each violation; and
    (C) damages.

(2) Knowing action.— A person acts knowingly for purposes of paragraph (1) when—
    (A) the person has actual knowledge of the facts giving rise to the violation; or
    (B) a reasonable person acting in the circumstances and exercising reasonable care would have had that knowledge.
    (3) Separate violations.—
    (A) Violations over time.— A separate violation under this subsection occurs for each day hazardous material, mailed or caused to be mailed in noncompliance with this section, is in the mail.
    (B) Separate items.— A separate violation under this subsection occurs for each item containing hazardous material that is mailed or caused to be mailed in noncompliance with this section.
    (d) Hearings.— The Postal Service may determine that a person has violated this section or a regulation prescribed under this section only after notice and an opportunity for a hearing. Proceedings under this section shall be conducted in accordance with section 3001 (m).
    (e) Penalty Considerations.— In determining the amount of a civil penalty for a violation of this section, the Postal Service shall consider—
    (1) the nature, circumstances, extent, and gravity of the violation;
    (2) with respect to the person who committed the violation, the degree of culpability, any history of prior violations, the ability to pay, and any effect on the ability to continue in business;
    (3) the impact on Postal Service operations; and
    (4) any other matters that justice requires.
    (f) Civil Actions to Collect.—
    (1) In general.— In accordance with section 409 (d), a civil action may be commenced in an appropriate district court of the United States to collect a civil penalty, clean-up costs, and damages assessed under subsection (c).
    (2) Compromise.— The Postal Service may compromise the amount of a civil penalty, clean-up costs, and damages assessed under subsection (c) before commencing a civil action with respect to such civil penalty, clean-up costs, and damages under paragraph (1).
    (g) Civil Judicial Penalties.—
    (1) In general.— At the request of the Postal Service, the Attorney General may bring a civil action in an appropriate district court of the United States to enforce this section or a regulation prescribed under this section.
    (2) Relief.— The court in a civil action under paragraph (1) may award appropriate relief, including a temporary or permanent injunction, civil penalties as determined in accordance with this section, or punitive damages.
    (3) Construction.— A civil action under this subsection shall be in lieu of civil penalties for the same violation under subsection (c)(1)(A).
    (h) Deposit of Amounts Collected.—
    (1) Postal service fund.— Except as provided under paragraph (2), amounts collected under subsection (c)(1)(B) and (C) shall be deposited into the Postal Service Fund under section 2003.
    (2) Treasury.— Amounts collected under subsection (c)(1)(A) and any punitive damages collected under subsection (c)(1)(C) shall be deposited into the Treasury of the United States.
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links