Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Reloading with Drill Press

Never thought of it, never seen it ! yesterday I watched an older gentleman @ 75 re-load a box of .357 with a old drill press and he went through every step. I would not have thought it was possible. The only reloading equipment he had was a small scale, everything else he had made and was as simple as could be and just as good as any name brand reloader on the market. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever seen this, I was amazed and still am and I've been around shooting/reloading 40 + yrs.
    47' (36) Carbine : 64' (39A) Golden Mountie : 67' (336) RC : 65' (336A) : 81' (1894C)

Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Reloading with Drill Press

I've seen a post on that before - maybe even here on Marlin Owners - not sure.

Often, I load with a little "arbor press" which is much like a small drill press, without the drill. However I freely admit to using very nice Wilson dies for that loading.

The Wilson dies I use are similar in appearance and function to the little Lee Loader die kits many of us used with just a hammer or mallet to load. They're just a lot nicer and have interchangeable bushings to allow for varying the neck tension to suit.

I don't know where that old post on the guy loading with home-made tools is - but it was pretty cool. Loading can really be reduced to the basics very nicely.

Regards, Guy

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ballplayer
    Never thought of it, never seen it ! yesterday I watched an older gentleman @ 75 re-load a box of .357 with a old drill press and he went through every step. I would not have thought it was possible. The only reloading equipment he had was a small scale, everything else he had made and was as simple as could be and just as good as any name brand reloader on the market. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever seen this, I was amazed and still am and I've been around shooting/reloading 40 + yrs.
    Well, if the guy is talented enough to make his own dies, reloading using a drill press shouldn't be too hard for him.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

He used no dies, just some type sleeve to hold the brass. I'm talking basic everything, nothing fancy at all. I even shot 6 rds that he made and was highly impressed.
    47' (36) Carbine : 64' (39A) Golden Mountie : 67' (336) RC : 65' (336A) : 81' (1894C)

El Kabong
    Member #

With the reinvention of the Lee classic loader, there isnt any need for anthing else.
    You can load them anywhere

Wrangler
    Member #

Peoples imagination, and ingenuity never cease to amaze me. Kudos to him, I never would have thought of that.
    Team .45/70 Member #151

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Neither did I, and to think its been right in front of me all my life and I never saw it. Now I won't miss my RCBS when I "un-load" it on somebody. LOL

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links