+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gunfighter
    Member #

Savage Model 840/340 questions.

Does anyone out there in Marlin Land have any experience with the Savage Model 840 or 340 in 30-30. It's a real short, light, bolt action rifle. I was looking at one for $165.00 that I'm sure I could get down about $150.00 or so. It's in ok condition. The blue is almost 100% and all the parts are there. The only problem I could see was that whoever used to own it removed the butt plate and added a slip on recoil pad that ruined the finish on the stock under the slip on pad. I;m sure I could refinish the stock and find a butt plate for it or just put a slip on pad on it again. I thought it was a neat little rifle just right for scouting the firebreaks and trails.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L Mencken

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Savage Model 840/340 questions.

I've had several. A Stevens Model 325 in .30-30 (this rifle was the progenitor of the Savage line, and had a butter knife bolt handle)
    a 340V in .225 Winchester, and currently a 90% Model 340B (mfd in 1953) in .222 Remington, which will shoot anything I put through it into an inch - or less - for five shots at 100 yards. These rifles, because of the split receiver bridge, require a side mount. Early guns were not drilled and tapped for a scope mount. They were, however, d/t'd for a receiver sight. I'd jump on that rifle for the money you mentioned. They've been largely overlooked (I paid $212 OTD for the .222 with an ick Tasco 3'X9 scope last summer - replaced with a Weaver K-10), but people are getting wise to the fact that these former "entry level" rifles are superior to a lot of the over-priced crap being foisted off on gun buyers today. If I can be of any further help, give a yell...

Mike

(They ARE kind of homely, but their looks do grow on you.)

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

I think they are pretty cool. A 340 was my first deer rifle and I spent many an hour sitting on tree limbs in the cold with it. Mine had a broken extractor, a common problem, and I didn't have the money for a new one so I got very good at opening the bolt and removing the spent cartridge. I was almost as fast as the extractor.

I just bought this rifle from a fellow member a little earlier this year. They are very nice shooting rifles I think.

dch
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #

had a 340 for a short time and it had a bad extractor and ejector i dont know if this was a common problem with these models so i got rid of it and brought a1965 rc in 35 cal and never looked back i guess you could say i had a bad experience with 340. boy do love that 35.

Deadeye
    Member #

For $150 jump on it

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have had a couple of them and someone always talked me out of them. Very accurate. The trigger isn't very adjustable but it was good to begin with. For $150 I'd buy it.

John

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I've always wanted one as they are my favorite caliber, but the two I've seen also had broken extractors. Must be a theme.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I bought a 340 in .30-30 from a member here, but I find that the bolt handle hits a bit against the magnification adjustment ring of the 3 -9 X 40 scope I mounted on it when I work it. I've got a straight 4X around here somewhere that ought to solve that problem. In any event, I find that it is a very accurate rifle as is my 340 in .222 Remington. They are super rifles, and for $150 I'd be all over it if I were you.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Gunfighter
    Member #

Thanks all for the advice and information. I'll be back n that area on Sunday and I think I'll stop in and talk with the guy about it. I think I've got a recoil pad around here somewhere that I can slip back on it for the time being.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L Mencken

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Here is a pic of the receiver sight on my 340. Also the cast bullet I use is the Lyman 120 grain with gas check. What a fun, fun combination.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links