+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Did I just get a deal. Theres a guy in my area selling hardcast bullets for $70 for 500, those being 405grain fn with a meplat of .330. I had a bunch given to me and they shoot awesome. They measure in at .460 and I am pushing them at around 1600fps. For instance I can buy remington 405gr for $ 128 for 500. These are all Canadian prices btw.

Oh the savings....oh my shoulder!!! :lol:
    Canadian outdoorsman.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Ya got plenty blastin material now.
    Where is Campbell River? Never heard of it.
    Proverbs 12:27
    "The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious."

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

while not a bad price($10.00 usd )just kidding....maybe a mould and a sizer might be alot cheaper, just cast your own.it's not hard to do and controling your own bullet supply is priceless. eh
    pete

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Come on, Seabass, I know you can do it. Break the habit and start making your own. Your weak! With the money you put out on the first 500 rounds, you can get a Lee sizer, (custom .460), a cheap RCBS mold, and a Lee pot. For US dollars, that is about 150$ with the handles. Cheaper if you use the Lee molds.

Member #

Cast bullet savings.

This is what you need to get started. You don't need all these molds, they are just ones you can choose from. Plain based, and gas checked. You can actually just order the Lyman mold and tumble lube it without sizing and forget the Lee sizer. This one is obviously not the correct size. You need to call Lee and have one special sized for Marlin. This costs 25 bucks and they are quick about it.

Product # Description Status Quantity Price
    Each Product
    Total Move/Delete
    117892 Lee Commercial Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Bullet Molds Out of Stock, Backorder OK $12.39 $12.39
    286579 Lyman Lead Dipper Available $12.99 $12.99
    457341 Lee Lube and Size Kit 457 Diameter Available $11.79 $11.79
    460487 Lyman 1-Cavity Bullet Mold #457643 45 Caliber (458-459 Diameter) 400 Grain Flat Nose
    View Suggested Product(s) Above Available $44.49 $44.49
    588362 Lee 1-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-405-F 457 Diameter 405 Grain Flat Nose
    View Suggested Product(s) Above Available $14.29 $14.29
    632708 RCBS 1-Cavity Bullet Mold 45-405-FN 45 Caliber (458 Diameter) 405 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check
    View Suggested Product(s) Above Available $56.99 $56.99
    645810 Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt
    Sale!
    View Suggested Product(s) Above Available $54.99 $54.99

If you have changed the quantity of an item, click on the "Update" button to make the changes final.

explain

Shipping Address ZIP Code:

Items with a status of "Available" usually ship within the next business day.

Postage, Handling & Insurance
    Return Policy
    Warranties
    In-Stock Total: $195.54
    Backorder Total:* $12.39
    Shipping Estimate: See Estimate
    Special Handling Charge:* $0.00
    Sales Tax:** Please sign in

Subtotal: $207.93

No charge for flux, as I use sawdust with success.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Dr A-How do you get the ones with larger Meplats or is it special order?What is the Meplat size of the RCBS or Lee Molds in 420 grains?

VERY INTERESTING!!!!

You have my attention on making your own cast bullets!Jayco-Jacks all the way.. :lol:

Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Wrangler
    Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Don't go there Jayco. That rotten Dr. A-hole kind of talked me into it. :lol:

So far I haven't cast a single bullet, but I'm ready to do ingots. I've already scrounged the following;

500 lbs Wheel weights $10.00
    200 lbs Lead ingots $0.00
    4 qt Dutch oven, Gander Mnt (ching-ching made) $9.95
    2 Cast iron corn bread pans for ingots $18.00
    Various dippers and ladels $0.00
    1 lb Marvelux flux $9.00
    Lyman Casting book $17.00
    20 lb lead dipping pot (made it on lathe) $0.00
    Turkey fryer burner (already have 3) $0.00

Total: $63.95

About the only thing I have left to get is a Lyman #457643 400 gr FN mold, handles, thermometer, Lee tumble lube, and some 95/5 tin- antimony for alloying (need some more tin content). Figure I will have about $125-$150 into it. I should have enough lead for close to 8,700 bullets. If thing work out, and I enjoy making my own bullets, I might get into the more advanced stuff. Namely a LBT or Mountain Moulds 420 WFNGC mould and a lube/sizer. You can oven heat treat the wheel weight alloy bullets.

Now forget you read all of this stuff and keep buying them bullets. :lol:
    BRP Products, LLC
    Stock & Custom Molds

http://www.brp.castpics.net

Member #

Cast bullet savings.

Jayco, I wished a long time ago that people would listen. Casting is EASY. My 5 year old has an active interest and can do it, although he does so with "extra protection". I don't let anybody cast anywhere near the house. Too much in the air. The mold that I put down there are not ideal for hunting (with big metplats). That RCBS mold is great long distance, but most available commercial molds have metplats of only about .300. This is what the RCBS is. That Lyman is about the same configuration, but is without a gas check, and actually needs NO sizing. This is a great deal for plinking.

I special ordered a gas check mold from Mountain Molds, and they have a pre-made design that has a .345 metplat. I have a design made up matching Beartooth's .375 metplat as well as the mold used by Jae Bok. I have not had them made yet. Designing is fun, and if you get basic design dimensions like overall length, metplat size, nose length and number of grooves. You add a step shank for a gas check, you are all set. To begin with, the .345 mold was orderable without any design necessary. This shoots great out of my gun and killed my elk in a matter of seconds. I seriously doubt that the difference in size is going to make a hugh difference over .320.

I designed a couple of other molds, namely a large metplat 357 bullet, which is pretty much standard fare now, and a LFN for my 444. They both shoot well, and the design limitations of the program that Dan has on the program seem to keep you from making too big of a mistake. My next 45-70 bullet will be similar to Jae-Bok's and have a slightly larger metplat. I also have a 356 and 375 on the way as we speak. The throat of your gun is a known generous proportion, so it is rather easy to fit a large metplat in, as long as the nose is kept fairly short (.4 in.). Go look at the ready made designs, and you will see a 350, 405, and a 500gr. all ready for sale.
    http://www.mountainmolds.com/

Member #

Cast bullet savings.

One thing I probably didn't mention enough about is the tumble lube. It is liquid alox, coming with the sizing die from Lee. It is very cheap and can be used sparingly. You squirt the bullets with the lube and jostle them around. Then let them dry for a day. The Mountian Mold bullets are actually set up with grooves to be used with a regular Saeco, Lyman or Star lubrisizer that both sizes and lubes the bullets with a lube that is contained within its mechanism. I have never bought one of these machines because of cost and practicality. I limit myself to making the bullet, sizing throught he nose-sizing die from Lee (regular sizers are 14 bucks or so, and come with alox). The gas check is put on in this operation. The bullet does not look as professional. It is coated with a brown sticky substance, but when you see the performance, you forget everything else. My 444 bullet is casted, cooked at 420 for a hour, and then quenched in ice cold water. That brings the brinnel to about 21 or 22. This is stable, and the base metal is plain wheel weights. For the cost of the equip. and time, I now have over 700 bullets ready to be used. Probably enough to be used in the next year. These fit the bore (.432), and were delivered for free. Don't overlook casting. My time at work is precious, and my time at home is as well. This is somehting I do with kids in the yard, and I am spending quality time around them. I prefer to do it in the winter, as it does get rather hot. Most of important to this Welshman, is that it is CHEAP, and I have a quality premium cast bullet that does the job for alot less than others. My equipment has paid for itself many times over. I shoot about 200 rounds a week, and would probably not shoot this much otherwise.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Fear of casting?

I don't want to get into a piddling contest over who might be cheaper than a Welshman but, I am cheap.

How cheap can you cast and safely shoot? I started casting after Cabelas decided (this was years ago, long before they had stores all over) to scale back and get out of the casting and reloading supply business. They were dumping all kinds of Lyman molds and other things for $5.00 a set. Unfortunately I didn't know what a lot of the numbers meant but I went ahead and ordered molds for certain yet-to-be-born guns that I hope, someday, to have. Included in these were two different molds for the 41 Mag, one which is now obsolete, the 458 cal 457124, their 385 grain RN, and several others some of which have lain unused for quite a few years. The bottom line is that I have two molds, the 410459, a 220 grainer for the 41 and that 458 RN that I have cast thousands and thousands of bullets with and that was about all I started with. If I remember correctly I made my first set of handles but then bought several sets when one company, Gander Mountain mailorder I think, sold them at around $10 each.

My casting pot consisted of a coffee can set over a Coleman single burner backpacking stove. Since I had the skill to gas weld I made my dipper from some pipe. After being coated with lead it is difficult to tell it from the commercial ones. The bottom line is it worked. Somewhere along the way, probably in that Cabelas sale, I got some Lee Cake Cutter sets so I have the tools to melt and cut bullets from lube set in the little pans.

My first bullet metal was begged from a service station. This was back when no one but the junkyard guy ever inquired about scrap wheel weights. I might have paid $10 bucks for "about 100 pounds" - a five gallon bucket of wheel weights weighs "something" I can tell you, and I don't think it's 100 pounds.

There are, as has been noted already, better ways to do it, but I did it very inexpensively and the deer and bear I whacked with my loads never complained about how cheap I was.
    45-70, 350 NorthFork 45-70, 350 Speer 30 WCF, 170 Core-Lokt

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links