Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played

Gunfighter
    Member #

Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Grandpa card got played

I thought I was going to take a break for a while ... 17 refurbs or stock refinishes since February of last year. Didn't work out that way.

Made a small 3 hour journey down state Friday for one of the Grandson's College Graduation. He has a attended a community college in his home town and finished his two year degree there and will be attending a 4 year school starting in the fall. After the ceremony the family and friends attending crowd went out to eat. Good conversation and visiting. Several of the friends and family members are gun owners, collectors and just plain enthusiasts so naturally there is "GUN TALK".

Over the last 1 1/2 years I have sent some pictures of the projects I have been working on to the Grandson and his Dad so they have been aware of what I have been doing. Grandson is to be a recipient of one of the 12 Marlin Model 60's I have reburbed.

Eating time was finished and the wife and I proceeded to go to the Grandson's house for more visiting and family time. Of course the "GUN TALK" continues along with some wood working talk with an Uncle. After about 5 minutes Rick (the Dad) comes in the room carrying 2 rifles to examine - they are definitely not in the realm of being called "newer models":

1) Stevens .22 (stock is the full length of the gun) - no ID of any kind - bolt doesn't work well - safety is broken - pretty rusted and lightly pitted in places all over. Comment was that no one even knew where the gun came from ... has had it for years. May deal with it later. It was just laid aside.

2) What turned out to be (research after I got home with the gun) a Mossberg Model 46M_b (model made between 1938•1949) - not in bad shape at first glance. This gun is IMPORTANT ... it was the property of another Grandpa (who has passed) handed down to the son who was now wanting to pass it on to his son.

Dad wanted me to look at it to see if I thought it could be put back into shooting shape and be cleaned up and the stock redone. Of course I had no idea about this particular gun, age, popularity, number made or parts availability. After examining the gun and finding a "few" glaring deficiencies I jumped on the internet and did some quick research. Looked as though some parts were still available - several on ebay and Numrich has a pretty good listing.

After the quick and dirty research session he wanted to know if it could be fixed and I told him I thought the chance the gun could possibly - 85% - be put back in shooting and aesthetic shape for a $$$ PRICE $$$ for parts if they could be found. The Dad wanted me to try - and when it's for a Grandson - How do you say "NO" I am project spent, just not gonna do it". After seeing the gun and knowing who it was for it was a no brainer - "Will give it a try" ... although it is daunting knowing you are "messing" with some one else's important keep sakes.

So here we are - a few pics of the gun ...

Rear Sight seems a little "gone" ...

Front Sight innovation ... just grind the top of the screw off on both sides to make a semi thinner part of the screw to sight by ...

Grandpa's bolt repair ... which is to stay with the gun ... not to be replaced or messed with.

One of the safety indicators (red one) is missing and the Green one is loose and broken off.

Have some rust and pitting to deal with ...

Gun came with Sling Mounts. Both are gone. Are Available to the tune of $20 each (front and rear) for so so shape to over $50 each in good shape. Mulling whether to fill the holes or bite the bullet and spend the cash.

More pics next post:
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-08-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Owen49, Vooch, rclint and 12 others like this.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    a few more pics:

Have a side mount scope bracket that I have no pics of goes here. Pretty rusted. has an "old" scope on it. Dad is looking for the screws to mount it back if it will clean up. Pretty rough shape.

Butt plate repair and some reshaping after the damage to the stock here is resolved.
    (the other sling mount hole)

A Little Spring work to do ... have the plunger end on order.

Have located and ordered all of the missing parts and parts that will have to be replaced. About $170.00 ... way too much for an old gun like this ... but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Will post some pics after the project is finished.

Owen49, Vooch, GrumpyBear and 17 others like this.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    GrumpyBear, moofy07 and JWC1951 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #

You are a good "Grandpa."
    moofy07, myflatline and marlinluvr like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
    Tm. 30-30 # 1169 Tm. 35 # 635 Tm. 32 Spcl #121
    Tm. 44 # 53 .Team MR7 # 20,
    Tm. 45-70 #1507
    Tm. 444 # 697 , Tm. 375 # 78 .Tm.450 Marlin # 186
    ER = .356 Win caliber
    Tm. Marlin Express 308 & 338 MX,MXLR.
    Tm. Mosin Nagant # 49,
    Tm. Mauser #57

Tm. Old Phart, #291.
    Tm. 44-40 # 54 .
    Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Some things just can't be boiled down to dollars and cents! Congrats and can't wait until the " after" pictures.
    DRSLYR, moofy07, granpa52 and 2 others like this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830 1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper
    Team Mosin Nagant #28 Russian 91/30
    Team Shotgun #56 Remingtons, Ithacas, a Beretta & a Belgium Browning Sweet 16 A5.
    Team Mauser #4 VZ24 & 1908 Sporters
    Team Winchester #67 Five 94's, a 92 & two M70's
    Team Henry #39 Goldenboy & H001 22lr's
    Team Savage 99 #3 1913 303 Savage 1899

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Judging by what you did with all those Model 60's, I'd say there's an excellently-refurbished gun in that grandson's future.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post

You are a good "Grandpa."

Debatable - but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    Judging by what you did with all those Model 60's, I'd say there's an excellently-refurbished gun in that grandson's future.
    Appreciate the vote of confidence ...

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Some pics of the old scope and scope sidemount ... these 2 items may just be a lost cause ...

Scope is fairly clear, don't know if the adjustment turrets work ... could be rusted down. Eye focus ring works and is fairly free and easy to work.

Looks like this mounted ...

moofy07, granpa52, vt4ster and 4 others like this.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    good grief! if it could talk!
    moofy07 and granpa52 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The scope could be a bit of a challenge, but the rest of it looks entirely doable. Have to agree with 94win30wcf--if that gun could talk, imagine the stories it could tell! Good luck with your project. I'm sure the grandson will be pleased with the out-come.
    moofy07 and granpa52 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the post and all the good photos. With a rifle of that age you know that your work toward restoration will be worth while because it was made well to begin with. I hope we get to see "after" pictures,
    moofy07 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links