Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Got the repair done on the Butt Stock Toe damage ... turned out o.k. This was a new experience. Worked the shaping by using a rasp, file and sanding. Nerve racking on the first go round but not that bad in the end.

Please excuse ... a few of the pictures are kinda fuzzy.

Started Here:

Trimmed the "nub" down some with the band saw.

Last edited by rjtmac; 05-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Ebony Dowel Pins put in to fill and repair the sling mount holes. These are fuzzy. Seemed to focus on everything but the stock.

Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Had the inside of the stock rough sanded and the outer masked off. Have 2 coats of shellac applied to the inside of the stock. Will get one more on in the morning.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey RJ,

Labor of "love"!

Fantastic!

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Looking Good!!!
    Team 45/70 - #1761
    Team 1894 - #519
    Team Winchester - #137
    Team Rossi - #75
    Team Wheelgun - #80
    Team Semi-Auto - #58
    Team Shotgun - #111
    Team Old Pharts - #355
    Team Biker - #77

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Shellac for interior of stock done ... 3 applications ... Just a rough overall sanding of the interior surfaces and then smoothing and rounding of all the edges to reduce chances of chipping and or splintering.

Can notice a few places where the Shellac bled under the tape. Was little problem to remove the bleeding with a little sanding.

This is one of those really unnecessary things to do when I refinish a stock. I do it just to seal the wood and maybe act as an "oil shield" to the finish. I have had to deal with way tooooooooo much oil removal in some of the stock refinishes I have done.

Last edited by rjtmac; 05-19-2017 at 01:15 PM.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Found my 2nd "OH CRAP" this morning. After getting the tape off of the Shellac application and doing some clean up sanding I wanted to check the butt pad fit now with the new ebony "toe fix". NOT GOOD ... The fit was just scarry bad.

The top of the butt pad fit about the same ... not quite as bad ... took 3 pictures of the off set but for some reason none of them were usable.

The goal of the project was to keep as many of the original usable parts as possible so discarding the butt pad and using a new replacement butt pad was a last resort and really not an option. The old pad was damaged and had been reworked a little before I got a hold of it and then I made it some smaller by shaping and sanding trying to get the end I repaired and glued back together a symmetrical shape similar to the stock.

So out came the sanding block and elbow grease. Here is the final result.

Two final sandings on the stock and will be ready to start the finish on it.

Last edited by rjtmac; 05-25-2017 at 08:24 AM.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    How did you get all them dents out, hopefully you raised them first and then sanded. Back in a time not too long ago I use to repair wood doors, 6 panel pine and oak, wet a rag fairly wet not dripping, squeeze some water out and then with a heat gun (for paint removal) at a distance not to burn the wood, let that heat do it's thing, water would spread out some, soak in and the dent rose up high right before my eyes...cool thing to see sometimes. After the wood dried ( in a half minute or so) then sanded with 240 grit......presto new door!
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    .444 Any Questions??
    Just another gun forum

Wisconsin Mo'ers http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ge...in-mo-ers.html
    #22-Team 60
    #168-TEAM 444..Any Questions??
    #23 Team 45/70
    #301 Team 1894
    #6 Team Mitchell

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA!
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/si...ite-rules.html

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    How did you get all them dents out, hopefully you raised them first and then sanded. Back in a time not too long ago I use to repair wood doors, 6 panel pine and oak, wet a rag fairly wet not dripping, squeeze some water out and then with a heat gun (for paint removal) at a distance not to burn the wood, let that heat do it's thing, water would spread out some, soak in and the dent rose up high right before my eyes...cool thing to see sometimes. After the wood dried ( in a half minute or so) then sanded with 240 grit......presto new door!
    Dents were many and varied depths. Used the following:

• Small Jackhammer
    • 3 lb. baby sledge and flat iron
    • large knife
    • 6" hand grinder
    • 4" hand held belt sander
    • Orbital Sander

but mostly, well O.K., maybe 99% of it was done the old fashioned way, Heat/Moisture ... Sand Paper ... Patience (hours) ... with the 1% of some of the deeper and more pronounced dents I hand planed the area (which you can screw up real easy - learned that by experience) around them down a little using a sharp knife or carving tool - heat and feather sand the area around them where I have removed a small amount of wood surrounding the dent with the planing. Probably not a good or normal practice but I have made it work for me on more than several occasions.
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    Charlie B. likes this.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    Your doing a great job on it however you do it, keep it up and looking forward to more pics in the end......I'm expecting ...........WOW nice!!
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    .444 Any Questions??
    Just another gun forum

Wisconsin Mo'ers http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ge...in-mo-ers.html
    #22-Team 60
    #168-TEAM 444..Any Questions??
    #23 Team 45/70
    #301 Team 1894
    #6 Team Mitchell

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA!