Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Looking forward to the "after" pictures.
    Team 35 member #31
    Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117
    Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014
    Team Winchester #106
    Team Wheelgun #21
    Team Henry #95

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Ran into my 1st "Oh CRAP" last night ... The toe of the butt stock showed some previous damage and repair. I thought I was going to be able to sand it down some and just reshape it and adapt the butt pad to the new shape. NO PROBLEM ... Well "the best laid mice of mans and plan" struck. As I sanded over the damage whatever finish that had been used, probably varnish from the way it had yellowed, just kinda fell off and the filler below had basically turned into a packed dust. No body or solidity to it at all. Just basically fell out to the touch. So I am left with what shows below.

Thinking cap on and I am weighing options ... May be an opportunity here for an "innovative" {translated "shot in the dark"} fix.

Just a little note. When I began working on the Trigger Guard last night I was slightly surprised. The Trigger Guard seemed to be made of plastic. Plastic ? In 1938-49. Didn't know plastic was in use then. My wife put me on a research path that told me and confirmed what she had said about a product that was used back in those days called Bakelite. One of the 1st plastics ever used.

Stamped on the Trigger Guard is ... Reg in Canada 1938 O.F. Mossberg and Sons Inc.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Wrangler
    Member #
    Please keep us posted so far what you have achievedis beyond belief. Just think on this when it is finished it will be a treasured family piece. Every time your Grandson looks at it he will think of you and remember what you did for him. That is our reward as Grand Parents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    bakelite is what the butt plates were

Gunfighter
    Member #
    A couple of problems or concerns have been resolved. In searching for swivel mounts for the rifle I have found they are available but at a very high cost. Close to $150 to get a complete set. I contacted the Dad and asked if he had any idea where the swivels might be ... No Clue ... He never remembers them being on the rifle ... His dad was not a Sling Guy he said and more than likely removed them. He said as far as the restore goes, restore it like it was used by Dad, no mounts. Also was agreed upon to just not leave the holes in the stock.

Resolution to this is that the sling mount holes are to be filled - Rear and Front.

There is another matching hole just out view on the bottom of the picture.

Discussed the problem with the "Toe" damage. Current suggested plan is that it is to be dealt with by some "yet to be designed or fabricated" ebony accent that will be complemented with an ebony accent filling the front sling mount hole.

Onward and Upward ... This is much more difficult when you are having to confer and conform your restore with approvals ... Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz ... makes it much more worrisome.

Tried and failed last night on getting the butt plate fixed. Gonna go at that again today or late this evening.

Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    POST DELETED ...

Was a Duplicate Post of the one above ... Don't know why it was posted 2 times ....
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-13-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    One more "little" phase completed. Reclamation of the Scope Ring Screws. Pretty rusted. Threads were even rusted. Figured they might have been protected but was not the case.

Have to make sure both ends are cleaned and blued. The thread end sticks out and is visible on the back side of the ring.

About 1 1/2 hours on this endeavor. Working with something as small as these is not much fun - lots of hand sanding and filing while holding the little beggar in some position where you can get at it where you need to. Much rather work on the BIGGER screws. LOL

As with most pictures - the flaws are magnified by the camera and aren't nearly as acute as they appear in the photos.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Scope Mount ... Ready for reinstall ... Tackle buffing the stripped scope tomorrow in prep for bluing.

Not perfect for sure but will do for me for the project. Looks a little better than it did when I started ... lol

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Bolt rework done ... Stripped, Filed, Sanded and Bolt Handle new bluing.

Bolt will be reinstalled with Grandpa's repair shining.

New Red Dot

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Found out that I am working on a gun that is not what it appears to be.

The barrel is stamped with the designation ... 46 M (b) ... Research and forum members over at Rimfire Central have told me that the "M" is a designation for "Mannlicher" which describes the stock the gun should have as shown in the picture below.

I was having trouble finding any pictures of the gun with a stock such as this gun has.

Also the placement and size of the hole on the bottom of the fore stock didn't match up for function. Too Small and Too far forward for the hole that would be used for the factory installed sling mount shown on other Model 46 variations. It turns out this hole is for the screw that was in the band and in the wood for the metal band between the two sections of stock

After some inquiries over at Rimfire it was pointed out to me that the metal band and the front section of the stock is gone and that the stock has been modified physically and finished to stand on it's own. Also helps explain why this forward hole is so far off center. Doesn't show that bad in this picture but is is. Need to look at the front end of the stock when I go out to the shop and examine the end for symmetry.

Below is the only picture I have been able to find of a Mannlicher gun stock in 2 pieces. Someone in the past did a pretty decent job of tapering and reshaping the forestock on the 46 M I working on to get it to it's present appearance. It is unkown whether or not the Granddad did this or he acquired the rifle this way. One of those things that never came up or the question was never ask or the Granddad acquired the gun used and never knew that it had been modified.

The front end stock section was on for quite a while. There is definite wear (bluing all gone and friction baring) where the metal band would have met the barrel. Another "Gun World" mystery that will never be solved. Also the rust pattern on the barrel takes on a different look from where the metal band should be continuing to the muzzle.

We will trudge on and restore what we have - Grandpa's Gun - and there will always be that question in the back of the Dad's mind - What's the real story on this gun ?

Deciding whether to strip the stock or continue with metal work and get the barrel and magazine tube stripped down to the metal in prep for bluing or start on the stock. Think I will start on the stock. Arthritis hands are barking about all of the work the fingers take on in working on the metal. Wood work is a little easier on them. Do need to get the scope finished though ... Darn it ... Almost forgot it ... more metal work ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-10-2017 at 10:47 AM.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links