Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Thought My Projects were over for a while ... then the Granpa card got played

Deadeye
    Member #
    Rjtmac--I love old .22 rifles--I have more than I need but all will go to my grandson someday. I know you will do a great refurbishing job on this one.

My only advice (unwanted, I know!) would be to install only sling swivel studs instead of the permanent sling swivels. I find them to be too noisy, and there are going to be some times you don't want a sling on the rifle.

Nuff said. That rifle will be a beauty, and your grandson can hand it down to his son.

DRSLYR
    moofy07 likes this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I am looking forward to the journey with this one, please show us as you go along with it.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7
    Team Browning No. 73
    Team Southpaw No. 49

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

45-70 Government. The Only Government I Trust.................Period.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSLYR View Post
    Rjtmac--I love old .22 rifles--I have more than I need but all will go to my grandson someday. I know you will do a great refurbishing job on this one.

My only advice (unwanted, I know!) would be to install only sling swivel studs instead of the permanent sling swivels. I find them to be too noisy, and there are going to be some times you don't want a sling on the rifle.

Nuff said. That rifle will be a beauty, and your grandson can hand it down to his son.

DRSLYR
    No advice is considered unwanted ... I state often ... "you can't learn much in a vacuum" ... being provided suggestions of better or alternative ways to do things are always a good thing.

I had considered just the studs but will have to get permission for that "off base" change in the restore ... don't know how much a "true to the model" restore we are doing here. May not want to go that route.

Have 4 alternatives right now for the holes:

1) purchase a set of OEM sling mounts
    2) fill the holes - with filler - or sanding dust / bonding product combo - or an ebony inlay
    3) purchase 3rd party mounts or studs
    4) just leave the holes (which I don't consider much of an alternative)

This one is going to be a long process - going to be a large amount of metal work. Stock has a couple of pretty complicated fixes ( at least for me anyway ) that will have to be addressed. I am planning on about a month overall ... This builds in some "OH CRAP" time when a couple of things don't go as planned - as usual !!

Debating whether or not to include a white Butt Plate Spacer with this one ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; Yesterday at 02:10 PM.
    vt4ster, Charlie B. and msharley like this.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 VT
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    Try popping in at RimfireCentral.com and check into the Mossberg forum, I picked up this one years ago and haven't touched it, although it has the wrong peep she is still a great shooter. Model 31A Wards Westerfield otherwise known as a Mossberg Model 40 from somewhere in the 30s'.
    Wards Westernfield Model 31A.jpg
    msharley and rjtmac like this.
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    .444 Any Questions??
    Just another gun forum

Wisconsin Mo'ers http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ge...in-mo-ers.html
    #22-Team 60
    #168-TEAM 444..Any Questions??
    #23 Team 45/70
    #301 Team 1894
    #6 Team Mitchell

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA!
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/si...ite-rules.html

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Now take your time, I can wait, cause I know you will do a great job.
    msharley likes this.

NEVER FORGET WTC

Team 45-70 ~ #45
    Team 1894 ~ #86
    Team Browning ~ #41
    Team Old Pharts ~ #103
    Team Shotgun ~ #69
    Team Winchester ~ #28
    Team Remington ~ #21
    Team Wheelgun ~ #38

H&R Trapdoor 45-70
    Marlin 1895 45-70 XLR
    Marlin 1894 44 Mag.
    Browning Superposed 12ga
    Browning BL 22 Grade 1 & 2
    Winchester Mod. 70
    Winchester Mod 94 (2)
    Winchester 1300
    Remington 700, 742, 1100
    NRA Life Member

Firearms are like rabbits, they just seem to multiply.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    Try popping in at RimfireCentral.com and check into the Mossberg forum, I picked up this one years ago and haven't touched it, although it has the wrong peep she is still a great shooter. Model 31A Wards Westerfield otherwise known as a Mossberg Model 40 from somewhere in the 30s'.
    Wards Westernfield Model 31A.jpg
    WILL DO !! ... I am a member there as well as the Mossberg forum. Plan on going to both to try and glean a little help on the disassembly of this little beggar.
    vt4ster and msharley like this.
    Marlin • Benjiman • Beretta • Bushmaster • Harrington & Richardson • Henry • Kimber • Mossberg • Remington • Ruger • Savage • Sig Sauer • Smith & Wesson • Stevens • Winchester ... Bushnell • Cabelas • Center Point • Crimson Trace • Leupold • Nikon • Sig Sauer • Simmons

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The Scope and Scope Mount may have a chance of being recovered. Big surprise to me that I was able to get all of the screws loose without destroying any of them. Was a small battle. The turret screws are now loose and they move the cross hairs.

Worked for a little over 2 hours doing a first pass at getting the scope and mount stripped. Tried just buffing the rust but it was too deep and crusted on too thick. Alternative was to just strip the units to the metal. Have it stripped and buffed one time over with 400 grit sandpaper. Will need to buff further with 6 and then 800 grit and finish off with 1000 grit. Will take another hour or so to finish the prep and then I will have to reblue all the parts.

Still will have to repair the screws and get them squared away.

Some pics:

This one is kinda fuzzy ... but it shows the brass accent ring I found under all the gunk ...

Continue with the process tomorrow ...
    Last edited by rjtmac; 05-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Worked on the Trigger Guard tonight ... needed some smoothing and removal of dents and scratches. The long "scratches" that show in the picture are really enhanced by the camera. Do not show to the naked eye.

Screws for the Trigger Guard have been reshaped, Filed and sand papered. They are now soaking in a mild acid solution to remove the rust down in the screwdriver slots.

NRA Member
    Team 60 #354
    Team .22 Magnum #155

Team Bikers #58c

• 2006 Honda VTX 1800C
    • 2007 Honda Rebel 250

Site Contributor II Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtmac View Post
    WILL DO !! ... I am a member there as well as the Mossberg forum.
    That makes two of us but This member is no good to you at all. As a matter of fact, I was going to "suggest" that you ignore the scope and try to find a back sight. That was, until I saw what you have done to it. I thought it was hopeless but you have transformed it already
    Marlin 39A Lyman 66 peep

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    From the looks of the beginning overhaul, I bet your Grandson is goin' to be pleasantly surprised (ecstatic) over his "new" rifle!
    msharley likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links