+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrangler
    Member #

Remington 338 Ultra Mag recoil comparison

Somewhat toying with the idea of getting a 338 ultra mag. Read more than a few articles of how bad the recoil is. If you've shot one, what can you compare it to? I've got a guide 45-70 and with 405g at 2000fps with the old hard black recoil pad, I thought that was unpleasant (not brutal) off the bench but wasn't too bad once I changed the recoil pad. I sometimes hunt with a 300 win, 180's around 3000 fps and can shoot 20 +or- rounds off the bench before those start getting to me. How's the 338 ultra compared to those? A little more or alot worse? Close to a 3" 12ga slug? Not trying to start a tough-guy competition but if you've shot any other of the big boys, ie any of the Lotts, a 460 Weatherby, 416's, how do you compare them to the guns I've listed as base comparisons? Also this is not about need, I don't need a Corvette, I just want one
    *Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock. -John Conner-

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Remington 338 Ultra Mag recoil comparison

I have a few of the big boomers and they are great for long distance shooting . To me the 12 ga and 45-70 is like a hard shove but the magnum loads are quicker and sharper recoil . The recoil on the 338 lapua mag makes me feel like I've been punched in the nose . Gun wieght , barrel length and stock design are all factors in felt recoil between guns of the same caliber . The recoil is worse on my Remington than my Weatherby in 7mm mag .
    Of Empires and Kings , Generals and Armies , All have fallen and only the people have stood the test of time . It is theirs to pick up the broken pieces of ego , conquest and follies of war. From the old to the new come home safe 1st SOW USAF

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Well, looking at the recoil energy table, the 338 Win Mag has 33.1 ft/lbs, the Ultra mag has 43.1, considerable difference. 300 Win mag has 25.9 ft/lbs, huge difference. The 45/70 is about 24 ft/lbs. It's going to depend on the gun, stock, weight, etc. But it looks to be a brute. I doubt that I would enjoy shooting it.

Shotgun loads have greater recoil energy, for example a 12 gauge 3" mag is 52 ft/lbs, but I never find them as uncomfortable to shoot as I do a hard recoiling rifle. I guess it the punch vs the push.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I used to have a model 70 in .338 Win Mag with a hard rubber butt plate. Not all that bad in the recoil department. My wife, who was 5' 2" and about 110 pounds at the time loved to shoot it off the bench.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I have a M700 LSS 338 RUM. The recoil isn't as bad as some will tell you. I changed out the factory recoil pad with a Pachmyer Decelerator pad and it made a big difference. I do not have a brake or porting on my rifle.
    The recoil does come back pretty hard and fast when compared to a 338 Win Mag or even a 300 Win Mag.
    The 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag recoil are more of a roll where as the 338 RUM is more of a jab. Having said that, recoil is brisk but manageable. In the field, you don't even notice it.

My hunting load is a 250 gr Nosler PT at 3024 fps. I did load development with Retumbo powder, my rifle and my nephews M700 XCR (also 338 RUM) last year and shot 24 rounds from the bench in one sitting. The only issue off the bench is to pad your elbow if you wear a T shirt. I also shoot it prone with out any problems.

If you have a chance to get a 338 RUM, grab it. It is very accurate and kills with great authority.

I have shot bear, elk, and deer with mine, all have dropped in their tracks.

JD338
    JD338
    Team 45-70 #17
    Team 1894 #401

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

"If you have a chance to get a 338 RUM, grab it. It is very accurate and kills with great authority."

I already have enough bolt guns, and I'm really getting into my Marlins, so, if it's all the same to you, I'll pass.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Gunfighter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2506
    Somewhat toying with the idea of getting a 338 ultra mag.....
    Ever considered the 35 Whelen? I acquired a Remington 700 CDL (24" barrel) in this caliber last fall and I finally got around to chronographing a load recently that I have been using in my Remington 7400 (22" barrel) and 750 (18.5" barrel) autoloaders. Taken from the Barnes reloading manual, it's 57.0gr of RE15 with a 250gr bullet.

In my 7400 I get a muzzle velocity of 2420fps, but with the CDL I was surprised to get 2590fps.

About 300 to 400fps less than the 338 RUM, but it's a wider bullet and it uses about 40 grains less powder.

Also, 158gr 357 magnum pistol bullets can be loaded for inexpensive plinking.

Attack life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

Marlin 1895 XLR
    Team Bikers #7
    Team Browning #16

Wrangler
    Member #

Good info, I was thinking of the CDL but the laminated stock with the stainless looks good too. (sometimes I cant be too picky, being a southpaw sometimes I've had to settle for what the dealer can find.) I've read lots of the charts on foot per pound in relation to how much this or that gun or load recoils but some that were supposed to be double the recoil of another gun just didn't feel as bad as it was supposed to be on paper. That was the reason I wanted personal opinions on what you thought of guns you've shot, especially the 338 ultra. Also, Having been mentioned, I've had daydreams of a 35 Whelen, another someday gun. Kinda like being hungry and looking at a good large menu, too many choices.
    *Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock. -John Conner-

Deadeye
    Member #

might as well go all out and get the 338/378

that LSS is gorgeous
    Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.
    Life NRA
    Team 444 Member# 184

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I think I'd get the 35 Whelen, they are readily available, and are made in a lot of different guns.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links