If the SHTF would you want your 336,MINI 30 or SA M1A
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

If the SHTF would you want your 336,MINI 30 or SA M1A

I've been wondering about this for a while.I have a 336 in 30-30 and I"ve read many topics on how good of a cartridge this is,but wonder if it would be better to have a little more magazine capacity.The MINI 30 seems to be a very dependable and tough firearm.Though lacking in accuracy.I believe that the 7.62x39 is very close to the 30-30 and the ammo is decently inexpensive.I believe you can also get 10 or 20 round mags for these.I have also found a website where the folks are getting very good accuracy out the MINI 30 with some very inexpensive mods,but that leads me to say shouldn't be accurate in the first place.The M1A is basically a "wish" gun.I would really like to have one of their Scout/Squads or a standard but the prices have become outrageous. Do any of you feel like you're being pushed to by guns you have wanted for along time.Maybe it's all the rumors about Obama and guns.I kinda feel like I need to buy the guns I've wanted because I might not be able to ever purchase them again.I guess this kinda comes down to should I keep the 30-30 and purcahse a MINI 30 or keep the 30-30 and try to figure out how to get the M1A.Does having more mag capacity really matter?I've never really thought I needed aMINI30 or M1A or a rifle like one of these,but wonder now if I ought to go ahead and buy one.Just looking for some advice,guys!THANKS DEEPSOUTH
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

RIDE FOR THE BRAND

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: If the SHTF would you want your 336,MINI 30 or SA M1A

The 30-30 is a great rifle and with well placed shots can bring down just about any animal . As far as SHTF I always figured the most important thing was to have enough ammo on hand . I was in the military and was never impressed by the spray as many bullets as you can and hope to hit something routine . I go for one shot one kill so any rifle will work for that . I like big bore rifles for the penetration factor if you get my drift , not to mention in a crowd God knows how many bodies it will go through before stopping . Theres a lot to be said for big heavy lead in certain situations . Remember the important thing is Ammo , Accuracy and Ammo .
    Of Empires and Kings , Generals and Armies , All have fallen and only the people have stood the test of time . It is theirs to pick up the broken pieces of ego , conquest and follies of war. From the old to the new come home safe 1st SOW USAF

FWiedner

If you've always wanted a gun and have the money to get it without depriving your household, why not?

I wouldn't even worry about Obama and politics. Get what you want and need. If you don't need it and the cost is unreasonable, why waste money that can be better spent?

As far as magazine capacity, what is your anticipated use? Survival? Home defense? Subsistence hunting? You don't need a semi-auto for that.

If your plan is to get involved in a fire-fight or to engage the enemy in active combat, then by all means get a semi-auto with a few 20- or 30 round mags and practice your low-crawl technique.

I'll bet your .30-30 can punch enough of a hole to convince unfriendly company that they don't want more than one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #

I would like you to meet my little friends.....(spanish accent) :P

This outta cover it.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I always figured the if the SHTF, one could use what they already had, to get the one they wanted....If you Know what I mean!
    When Seconds count,The Police are only Minutes Away! Team 444 Member 181 NRA Life Member Sharps Rifle Co, Making the west safe for Winchester And Colt since 1851.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Between my two Winchester 94s and my Marlin 336 and a whole lot of other rifles and handguns, I'm pretty well set up now. I don't see the need for a "spray and pray" rifle. If I can't hit what I'm aiming at with what I've already got, then I would surely need a whole lot more practice. But I can, so I don't.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

All the ammo in the world won't help you if you can't reload quickly when you need to. There's a lot to be said for "one shot one kill", but suppressive fire can also be an asset. The best thing you can have is lots of guns, ammo, and friends to help you shoot them!
    “If the Senate needs an expert to speak at the hearings on meddling in another country’s elections, they should subpoena Barack Obama.” —twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest

Contributing Member
    Member #

With the accuracy of my 39a and 81-DL and amount of ammo I have on hand for them, if it hit the fan I think I would grab one of them.
    "Fast is good but accurate is final"...Wyatt Earp

JEEP...There's only one

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #

I'm set.
    Single action revolvers, Marlin and Winchester leverguns, and Mosin Nagants.

Sidewinder
    Member #

If I could only have one, it would be my SAI M1A NM, with my Ithaca M37 M&P along for closer than comfortable distances. I love my 1895G and Bushmasters, but there's no substitute for the 7.62 when things get sticky. Plus I have plenty of 20's for it and a good stock of milsurp ball in battlepacks.
    Kevin Little
    Registered Maine Guide
    Bamboo Rodmaker
    www.highcountryguideservice.com
    rodmaker@roadrunner.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links