+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Hello all. Hoping to learn something about bullet flight path here. I am an "off the shelf" ammo user. I was sighting in my 45/70 using Win 300 gr HP. 25 yds, very tight groups about 1" high. 100 yds, tight groups, 3" high. Had same results at both distances 2-3 times. Does this bullet rise? This doesn't make sense to me, but I do have limited knowledge of ballistics.
    Thx for any help.
    - -
    VA_HUNTER

Pop
    Gunfighter
    Cheyenne, Wyoming -- Team .444 Charter Member #98
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Hypothetically speaking......If your 300 HP is doing about 2100 fps at the muzzle you should be sighted in at 175 yds. This is with a 3" high placement at 100 yds. After 100 yds your bullet falls. Basically at 100 yds your bullet is at its highest point of the trajectory curve.
    Teams:
    45-70 #225
    444 #98
    32 SPCL #58
    30-30 #395
    450 #75

Pop
    Gunfighter
    Cheyenne, Wyoming -- Team .444 Charter Member #98
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Go here

http://thor.prohosting.com/~byeater/...0Bullet%20Path

download it for free and play all you want.
    Teams:
    45-70 #225
    444 #98
    32 SPCL #58
    30-30 #395
    450 #75

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

It would seem without knowing it, you have done what most of us try to do. The next step would be to find when or where in the bullets path it would cross zero again and then pass beyond the normal -3 inch point. That would be a full point blank range for your gun. The bullet will always shoot a rainbow. It will be low at spots and high at others. This is part of the challenge of the 45-70. It has steep trajectory.

Deadeye
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

va_hunter,

No, bullets do not "rise" per se. They begin to fall as soon as they leave the barrel (relative to line of bore). Your rifle's barrel is pointed upward relative to your rifle's line of sight. That's why the bullet shoots above where you aim. Your bullet is still on the way upward at 25 yards (relative to line of sight). If you're shooting factory ammo, chances are your bullet is already on the way downward at 100 yards (relative to line of sight). Such is the trajectory of the 45-70.

Now I know some of you are going to disagree with me on the "rise" thing. I know of at least one rifle that shoots much flatter than it is supposed to. I also know of at least one rifle who's bullets drop quicker than they are supposed to. But the general rule remains: Bullets begin to fall to earth as soon as they leave the barrel.

Live well
    Live well
    -

dla
    Deadeye
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Quote Originally Posted by Big Redhead
    v
    Now I know some of you are going to disagree with me on the "rise" thing.
    Not me. You've got it right. I would just add that it is important to understand the 45-70 short range ballistics so that you're not shocked when you discover that the bullet is nearly 3" high at 50yds too.

The flight path is a fairly pronounced arc, so you need to know where the first "zero" is, where the apex is, and where the second zero occurrs. This will build confidence. Remember that most game is taken at distances far less than 200yds.
    ave a great day!

Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Of course you are right big redhead, as I was speaking of rise as to the sights.

Tinhorn
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

I do apprciate it. I did know that bullets "drop" immediately. Simple effect of something we call gravity. And am certainly planning on using the 45/70 in the woods. The property we hunt has one or two spots at maximum range of 175 yds, but most deer we have shot are under 125. Is there anyway of pinpointing where the first zero, apex and second zero are? Can I also assume those will change if I have the rifle sighted in at 100 or 200 yds?
    - -
    VA_HUNTER

Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Absolutely! Shoot every 25 yards out to those distances and decide for yourself where you want sighted into. Ballistic calculators will help give you an idea, but the ideal situation is to do the grunt work yourself.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

45/70 Trajectory

Not only don't bullets rise, but: If you could put your barrel exactly horizontal to the earth (not counting the curve factor) and could drop a bullet from the exact same height at the exact time the one you fire leaves the barrel, they would hit the earth at the same time. Gravity affects drop....not FPS.
    Tuba Players Have BIG Brass Ones

That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting Is Deer Laughing.....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links