+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Guest
    Member #

Coating for a gun stock.

What is it them guys are painting their gun stocks with? It looks real tough. See, heres the thing. I took my model 60 out and scratched the stock up real bad doing some serious hardcore hunting through all the cedar brush and rocks. I don't want to refinish it and make it look beautiful only to screw it up again...so what is it these guys are putting on their wooden gun stocks to save them money? Is it truck bed liner? Dura-coat?

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Coating for a gun stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 186 Tmanbuckhunter
    What is it them guys are painting their gun stocks with? It looks real tough. See, heres the thing. I took my model 60 out and scratched the stock up real bad doing some serious hardcore hunting through all the cedar brush and rocks. I don't want to refinish it and make it look beautiful only to screw it up again...so what is it these guys are putting on their wooden gun stocks to save them money? Is it truck bed liner? Dura-coat?
    I'v heard alot of guys useing bed liner.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Same here, you can get it in a spraycan.
    To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Ever thought about refinishing with boiled linseed oil? A little labour intensive initially, but after, when your stock comes back from a hunt all scratched up a quick coat of linseed oil rubbed in and the scratches become "character" and you still have the classic look of wood. Just a thought. For some reason spraying bedliner on a gun stock makes me shudder.

Member #

I have a 270 with a mauser action that I refineshed in linseed oil, beautiful finish and when you scratch it you can either leave it or spend a few minutes with some scotchbrite and more linseed oil and it's good as new.
    To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brianscott12
    I have a 270 with a mauser action that I refineshed in linseed oil, beautiful finish and when you scratch it you can either leave it or spend a few minutes with some scotchbrite and more linseed oil and it's good as new.
    Yup, thats the, or one of the nicest things about an oil finish, be it boiled linseed, tung, tru oil, when it gets a boo boo its a very simple matter to fix up. I'v considered other finishes thru the years, but never strayed from oil on a project I cared about.

Now, on a model 60 I dont think the bed liners such a terrible thing. Personally I might be more inclined towards a composite after market stock. Probably not much more expensive than a couple cans of Rhino liner.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Guest
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Its just me
    Ever thought about refinishing with boiled linseed oil? A little labour intensive initially, but after, when your stock comes back from a hunt all scratched up a quick coat of linseed oil rubbed in and the scratches become "character" and you still have the classic look of wood. Just a thought. For some reason spraying bedliner on a gun stock makes me shudder.
    I love refinishing gun stocks as a hobby, but I don't like messing with tru-oil. I like stain and a few coats of gloss poly. Easy fix if it gets damaged, but I want something I don't have to worry about. Looks like truck bed liner it is.

Member #

For my nice deluxe Wheatherby rifle which still looks as good as when new in 1986. I have used
    Gun Chaps when going out to hunt. They are easy to put on and they fit like a tight glove ,the ones I have are camo hide, so nonglare, when I'm done I take them off and wipe it down and good as new. Only thing is I think the company that made them are out of buisness now.

One other thing I have considered on my 1894 is a deer leather cover for the butt stock and forearm and leave the action uncovered, but have them easily removable when done hunting.

If it's for a rough service gun that you don't have to worry about then I'd say get a composit stock, The one I have on my 882ss I did a home camo job with Krylon Fusion for plastic and then clear coated with satin nonglare polyurathan. It turned out great, and dosen't scratch up at all. I hunt varmits in rough sage and sticks throw it around and it don't show any abuse at all. Even tried to scrape it with pocket knife and it didn't show a sign. Here's a pic. it's the one at top. Les
    "Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one" talking about a gun; John Wayne

NRA member
    Marlin 1894FG 41 mag, 1894CL 218 Bee, 39a, 882ss, Model 20 pump
    Ruger BH 41 mag.

Deadeye
    Member #

Tman I saw a fellow who had done some handi rifle stocks with the bed liner stuff he got at Wal-Mart. Did not look to bad and he said he had been giving it heck and it looked like he had just done them. So that sounds like a good idea for the model 60.
    30-30 the best there is!!!
    Team 30-30 #92
    Marlin League #31

Member #

This is my 270 Mauser with boiled linseed oil, it just brings out the grain so well.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links