+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lever Speed vrs Bolt Speed for a follow up?

I have herd many opinions on which is faster.Most on this forum have both as I do.Craig Boddington says he can operate the bolt faster than the lever for a follow up shot?With recoil and barrel jump...Which do you think is faster for you?

Jayco.
    Howdy Boys.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Hello Riflemen-This question has to do with keeping the rifle on target or getting back on target the fastest I beleive. With recoiling bolt action rifles I think I can control and get back on target faster than the lever gun because I have both hands pulling back to the target as I am working the bolt. Providing the recoil is such that I can keep the rifle shouldered after the shot. The same thing happens with me with auto shotguns and the pumps. I can shoot faster with the auto but I get a faster accurate second or third shot off with the pump.
    I can shoot the 22 & 22 mag. levers faster than the equivilant bolt actions because there is no recoil and working a lever has less steps than a bolt action. there it is. My story and I'm sticking with it. BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Tinhorn
    Member #

If all out speed is the goal. For me the lever is more natural in the manual of arms. It flows from first through subsequent shots. If that makes sense. Both lever and pump require only two movements. The bolt with four is slightly slower.

But in reality all three can be cycled while being brought back out of recoil. With practice all three are about the same for me. I can't think of a practial situation in which such a small increment would make a difference.

I would think the deciding factor would the firing position and which type action is used from that position. If fired from any position other than offhand standing, results can change dramatically.

flatdog.
    The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Tag
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Make your first shot count and the question is moot. I surprises me that you'd be so concerned about your second shot. Heck, shoot a semi-automatic and all your problems will be solved, you can just start blasting.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

If simply working the action is the criteria, then the lever is much faster. The bolt will never be able to keep up. (Didn't you ever watch the Rifleman?) :lol:
    If the total time to reacquire the target is taken into consideration, then the deciding factor is not the action, but the cartridge/rifle weight. In other words:recoil! Recoil will decide how fast you get back on target more than the type of action. If your muzzle is pointed straight up in the air, you can work the action as fast as you want, but you still need to get it back down, and on target, before you can shoot again. Big calibers in lightweight guns are slower than small calibers in heavy guns. Regardless of action type.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

RugerCal480

The lever action is defintely much faster and easier for me. Shooting left handed, with only a good left eye, I have to reach across a right handed bolt action or lower the gun and re-shoulder it. That was the primary reason for me going to the lever action in the rifle. With the pump shotgun it is less of a problem than with the bolt actions. With the lever I can stay on target better with the smaller calibers and get back on target much quicker with the heavier calibers. Works for me.

Nanook 450

Simple math. 1 / 2 versus 1 / 2/ 3 /4. Levers are faster.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Dang it Nanook, rapid fire and accurate fire are often two different animals :lol: If you're right then I'm wrong and that just can't be! BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Sidewinder
    Member #

I'd have to give this one to the lever gun for sheer speed on follow-up shots. I know a good man can really make a bolt gun sing, but generally speaking the lever gun requires fewer motions and steps to operate.
    od Bless the great Elmer Keith!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

That's the paradox here. It's the incresed steps needed to chamber another round in the bolt action rifle that can bring it quickly back on the target after the shot. Pushing the lever forward after the shot and during recoil does nothing to help bring the barrel back down. But the last two bolt action steps are forward and down requiring both arms to simultaneously muscle the barrel back down on the target. I'm thinkin that I'm of the minority opinion here :? When the magazine fed bolt action rifle became available all militarys converted to them. Mostly from the lever rifles. I'm just playing on a hunch here. BestLever

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links