+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

Any of you Big Bore shooters own a Ruger M77 Mark II?

I was at the gun shop and held a ruger M77 Mark II stainless sporter in
    .270 caliber,laminated stock,scope rings included for $510.What do you guys think of this bolt gun and price? I did like the feel and look of this rifle.
    NRA Member

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hi Riflemanz,

I have a M77 mark II target in 223 remington and my brother has one just like the one you looked at but in 30-06.

I had a problem with the locking lugs and the controled round feed when I got mine.The lugs looked like they had sand in them for years and the lock up was ruff.The controled round feed would not catch the bullet when it came out of the magazine.I sent the rifle back to Ruger and they fixed the feeding problem but did nothing for the locking lugs.i had to take a fine stone and some JB bore past to them and fixed that problem.

My brothers rifle was in better shape but we still polished up the locking lugs and has a real smoth action now.
    Both rifles shoot real well and have had no other problems.I love the scope rings I think there the best out there.As for the price I think its a little hi my brother paid $450 about two years ago but i think the price has gone up since then.

If i had to do it all over again I would still buy the rifle.I think you could do a lot worse than the deal you got going.

Riflemen10x
    ork harder millions on welfare depend on you!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Riflemanz -

I'm an unabashed Ruger fan.

My M77 7mm Mag hs served well for 20+ years and still shoots .5" groups. Got a MKII VT (laminate/stainless/heavy barrel/target trigger) in .22-250 for Christmas and have put 4 shots into .5" at 200 yards with it. Got a used M77 in .257 Roberts in January and it also shoots about .5". My buddy's MKII 7mm Mag shoots .4".

My two M77's have been free-floated and the trigger adjusted (by me). The newer MKII's don't have adjustable triggers buut they are easy to polish up from what I understand. There are also aftermarket triggers if you want to go that route.

For me, the strengths of the Ruger outweigh the lawyer trigger.
    oyote Hunter - NRA, GOA, DAD

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #

I have that same gun in a short action 308, it's my first Ruger in a rifle and I can tell you it's a keeper, my 25-06 Rem 700 and my wifes 7mm-08 Rem 700 MTN are about as accurate as they come and the Ruger is right up there with them. A month ago I was shooting 2"/3" groups at 200 yards with all three. The only draw back to the Ruger is it's weight it is a tad heavier then a non-stainless gun.
    .................................................. ..........................................Marko
    Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one,
    and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and
    Satans tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!
    Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Distinguished Master
    Member #

I have a M77 in .300 Mag and like it as much if not more than My Remington 700 in .270.Very accurate and not that much recoil for a supposed kicker.

Good guns in my opinion...................Jayco.
    Howdy Boys.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

You can't go wrong with a ruger in 270win. That would be one sweet rig. i have two rugers one in 7mm-08 and a 243. My smallest group shot with a sporting rifel came from the 243. with a 100gr nosler partition at 3000fps. three shot one clover hole. would guess about .33 or smaller. I had two witnesses to this.
    The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer"

~ Theodore Roosevelt

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have the same exact gun in 338. Broke the stock 150 rounds out of the factory. They replaced no questions asked. It is accurate and absolutely reliable. I have shot several pigs with it now. (overkill) The rifleing is incredibly tough and it seems the mechanicals are nearly indestructable. I have had trouble with the floorplate. It did bend when the stock broke. Ruger simply bent it back instead of replacing it. It now bows out a tad. I have a 270 MR7 Marlin, and I can tell you I love that caliber. You should be happy and grab it.

Wrangler
    Member #

I have an older M77 in 30-06 (not a Mk II) and I love it. The Mk II 3-position safety is a definite improvement over the tang safety on my 30+ yr old version but aside from that the differences are minimal.

It is accurate, easy to disassemble/reassemble and it looks good too, IMO.

I don't know much about what a fair price would be on a new Mk II, but I do know that I really like my M77 a lot.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have a 77 MkII in 7x57mm Mauser and like it a lot. However, the factory trigger was horrible. It's not adjustible so I replaced it with a Timney for about $75. That raised the cost of the gun but put it in about the same quality class as my Winchester 70.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I have a synthetic/stainless in .338WM. The factory trigger was a litttle rough, but a trigger job by my gunsmith took care of that. It's accurate, nicely balanced and fits me perfectly. I also have a custom .450 Marlin built on a Mark II action. I especially like the integral scope bases on the Mark II's.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links