+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tar_Heel 336

Thread: New Bern, NC, Gun & Knife Show

Deadeye
    Member #

New Bern, NC, Gun & Knife Show

Just got back from the gun and knife show at the New Bern, NC, fair grounds; fairly small show as usual with the usual vendors in their usual spots with their usual wares. Only saw (1) Marlin there - it was a new 336W in 30-30 (still had the Marlin tag hanging off it) priced at $445 + tax. Right next to it was a Rossi Rio Grande in 30-30 priced at $435 + tax; there was also a blonde Winchester 30-30 labeled as "pre-64" next to them priced at $750. Those were abut the only lever guns in the entire place [along with a Rossi 45/70 on the same table]., most all the other rifles were bolt actions or "tactical/military/futuristic" looking semi autos. One vendor had his same old stock of beat up Commblock semis for lots-a $ and another had what seemed to be his same beat up American relics for lots-a $ as well.

There was virtually no 30-30 ammo - (1) vendor had a few boxes (like 4) of Winchester Super X priced at $30+ tax - most all the others did not have any at all (1 said he sold out within the first hour, but I don't know how many boxes he had to start). I did however find my favorite ammo vendor with plenty of ammo in almost all calibers except .22LR and bought several boxes of 170g Remington Cor-Lokt 30-30 for $17/box (which included the tax) and a 50 round box of Magtech .357 Magnum (JSP) for $25. Most of the other prices for handgun loads in 20 round boxes seemed to be about $25-$35; this seemed to be the price range from all the vendors. Most vendors seemed to want $25-$40/box for all other rifle calibers. I could have gotten a 50 round box of 240g .44 Magnum for the carbine @$25 as well but had plenty of expenses in my hand as it were and it seemed to be an off brand that I can't quite remember (Independence -?- or something), all other "name-brand" 44 Mag was $25-$35 for 20 round boxes.

Only (2) vendors had any .22LR ammo but I didn't have my first born with me so did not even think about purchasing from them. One vendor wanted $45 for a 333 round box of Federal bulk ammo (that usually sells for about $13) and $65 for a 550 count box of Federal bulk .22LR. The other vendor wanted $15 for a 50 round box of CCI mini-mag .22LR hollow points and $30 for a box of 100 CCI mini-mag hollow points (I think I paid $7/bx of 100 for these at Wal-Mart a couple months ago). Prices were all pre-tax.

I also passed for the time being on the purchase of a 4 5/8" barrel Heritage Rough Rider single action .22/.22 mag (both cylinders) N.I.B. for $245 otd. I thought since I had spent quite a bit on ammo already, I'll maybe get one of these at the next show or two down the road. I had seen one in 4 5/8" barrel at the last show for $180 but am now not so sure it had both cylinders (might not have had the .22 mag). I really like the fit, feel and balance of the 4 5/8" barrel model. That vendor told me that Heritage was bought out by Taurus and these pistols will be coming with a lifetime warranty in the next couple months....anybody else hear about that?

Anyway - that was my morning - Still getting dumped on by the dregs of Andrea in between Beautifully Sunny Carolina Blue skies filled with big white puffy cumulus clouds (some with grey underbellies full of water) - rains are spotty but heavy and with the sun out the un-air conditioned building the show is being held in was quickly turning into a sauna with all the bodies pressing passed in the narrow aisles. "Show" continues through tomorrow -
    etexoldguy likes this.
    Team 30-30 #839

I Totally Take Back All Those Times I Didn't Want A Nap When I Was Younger...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    At least they HAD some 22lr ammo. Too rich for my blood, though.
    Bobby

Too darn old to change, and too darn stubborn to want to.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links