+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses

Super Moderator
    Member #

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses

Personally, I wouldn't have any use for one but I'm old school. This new technology takes the skill and sport out of the equation altogether. To me, the rifle may be smart but makes the operator dumb and lazy.

I think the responses here should be interesting... what's your take on this?

Jack

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses : All Tech Considered : NPR
    A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses
    by Mark Dewey
    May 15, 2013
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    ​I WANT ONE! How much $$$$$$$$$$$ ?
    JACKTW likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I think they should make one just for congressional enquiries. I think we could get Benghazi, the IRS and even the cloak room bugging incidents straightened out in record time.
    JACKTW, oleroy, etexoldguy and 2 others like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Takes the fun (challenge and skill) out of shooting, might as well have your robot go out to the range for you while you sit in the lazy boy in Mom's basement and munch on snacks watching it on your computer screen. May be great for static targets but I can only imagine that it needs to continually update and recalculate on an grazing animal, either that or you'll pull the trigger and it will fire when it marries up with the laser even as your re-adjusting the POA on a moving target. Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.
    JACKTW, oleroy, marlinluvr and 1 others like this.
    Team 30-30 #839

I Totally Take Back All Those Times I Didn't Want A Nap When I Was Younger...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the bears? View Post
    ​I WANT ONE! How much $$$$$$$$$$$ ?
    I think the article stated something like $22,000... a tad rich for me, HA!

I'd rather rely on my own on board computer. The only malfunction I have to worry about is me having a brain fa_t.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I can see a usefullness...and ... "shall not be infringed" no matter what the West Point grad has to say...
    JACKTW likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Man that's snazzy! I wonder who the local is that's making them - I might wanna go to work for 'em...
    JACKTW and oleroy like this.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
    Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
    -- Ayn Rand

Team Marlin Express Captain Distinguished Master
    NorthFork Lake area, north central arkansas
    Member #
    NOPE!! I'll take my Army training & years of shooting experience. I get "MAD" enough when this desk-top computer goes on the blink, don't want my rifles going on the blink too!!
    Roy
    Team Old Pharts #106, Team 30-30 #645, "Proud Patriot Guard Rider", Team Bikers #5c, Team Shotgun #19, Team Browning #32. Team Marlin Express
    "Lord, help me to be half the Man My Dog thinks I am"!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oleroy View Post
    NOPE!! I'll take my Army training & years of shooting experience. I get "MAD" enough when this desk-top computer goes on the blink, don't want my rifles going on the blink too!!
    Spot on oleroy! I've nearly dropped kicked my computer out the window on many a occasion. I don't need the added aggravation of sighting in and seeing onscreen errors popping up. Not to mention the occasional system crash and watching a prize bull Elk trot off. I believe at that point the rifle would become a pile of trash.

Jack
    oleroy likes this.

Team Marlin Express Captain Distinguished Master
    NorthFork Lake area, north central arkansas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKW1 View Post
    Spot on oleroy! I've nearly dropped kicked my computer out the window on many a occasion. I don't need the added aggravation of sighting in and seeing onscreen errors popping up. Not to mention the occasional system crash and watching a prize bull Elk trot off. I believe at that point the rifle would become a pile of trash.

Jack
    YEP!!
    JACKTW likes this.
    Roy
    Team Old Pharts #106, Team 30-30 #645, "Proud Patriot Guard Rider", Team Bikers #5c, Team Shotgun #19, Team Browning #32. Team Marlin Express
    "Lord, help me to be half the Man My Dog thinks I am"!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links